Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you miss most about your childhood? >

What do you miss most about your childhood?

What do you miss most about your childhood?

Old 07-14-2010, 06:45 AM

you are so right. I grew up on a farm also, seemed like summer with family was really long, now we make life too complicated.

My husband and I are looking to relocate, don't need this big house any longer. We both come from large familes, but don't seem most of them only for funerals or weddings. Not like it used to be with families.

Both still in our early 50's still not sure what we want to do when we grow up, only to simplify our lives as much as possible.

Thanks everyone for sharing.

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I miss all the things you have mentioned...but the things I think I miss most is the trust and innocence of childhood. I was raised in the mountains of West Virginia. There was so much freedom to play and enjoy childhood. I miss being able to run and skip rope, climb trees, catch frogs. I remember walking in the creek and the frog eggs squishing between my toes.I miss the smell of the barn and our milk cow. I miss my Grandparents and Parents and the feeling that close family brings....so much more that is hard to put into words....
Old 07-14-2010, 07:08 AM

I miss the freedom. I'm sorry my children did not grow up with the freedom to go out and not worry - about the drugs going down or the people in the park waiting for young ones to hurt. (Yes, I grew up in a small town, and they in a city.) It is a shame that our children/grandchildren can't do things unsupervised/unstructured. I think we learned a lot being responsible for ourselves. I remember being out the door by 6AM, and not coming home 'til Mom called for supper. What grand adventures we had!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

Playing in the sand pile with my sister for hours on end, with ABSOLUTELY no responsibilities.

All my mother's (from scratch) dinners.

Watching episodes of Mister Ed, (for the first time)

Walking halfway down our street to wait for Dad to come home and getting a ride in the back of his work truck.

Dressing up for Halloween

(all of a sudden you make me wish I was 6 and not 56.)
Old 07-14-2010, 07:27 AM

I miss when I was over my grandmothers and she had a stool. Whatever she made my grandfather for dinner, I always made a little and had my own pan to put it in. My grandmother always made it, but, she gave me to put in my pan. When my grandfather would sit down to eat, he always said mine was better. I think that had something to do with my interest in cooking.
I loved helping my mother cook and making x mas cookies
Family get togethers.
There are a whole bunch of different things I miss about childhood.
Maybe most, the innocence of it. Being protected by mom and dad
Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 AM

I miss nothing about my childhood. I do miss my Mom, she passed in Jan 2001. I Love her so much
Old 07-14-2010, 07:37 AM

Living in Duluth, Minnesota where Winter is Wonderful,ice skating, tobogganing, watching for my dad's boat (the SS Meteor and others) to come over the horizon and got thru the channel and swimming at Park Point during the summer.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:50 AM

I miss the summers and reading all morning in my p.j.s...

I miss playing house with my sister and my dog, Pansy...

And, I do miss those long lazy evenings when all the kids on the block would ride bikes up and down the street....

Oh, one more thing---my grandma lived in Illinois and we lived in California. I loved when she came to visit. She always wore purple from head to toe and had a twinkle in her eye. She always had projects for my sister and I to do--sewing, making bean mosaics, crocheting......and she LOVED to shop for fabric and always said the fabric in California was so much better than anything she could get at "home". She always took home a full suitcase (mostly purple, I might add--she didn't quilt but did make all of her clothes)
Old 07-14-2010, 07:58 AM

somebody else making dinner everyday ;-)
Old 07-14-2010, 08:14 AM

I miss the freedom we had playing with friends and riding our bikes most anywhere in our small town as long as we were home for dinner. Only had to watch for cars, not kidnappers/perverts.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 AM

My grandparents....I just loved being with them.