Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do You Use for Dry Hands?

aveeno creme in a jar for dry skin

eucerin creme in a jar also

Today in pottery class, a lady told me about Kerodex sold at various stores. It comes in a fairly large tube in a blue and white box.
    She said you wash your hands, pat dry, apply a dallop of the cream, rub in really good, then you place your hands in cold water to 'set' it, pat dry, and go about your business. It is really good for folks whose hands are in water or wet substances quite a bit (such as our pottery class). She said her fingers don't crack and bleed since she started to use it.
    Sorry, I have not yet tried it.

I personally love Mary Kays Extra Emollient Cream at night and Sally Hansons Cuticle Cream during the day. When I use these as I need to, I do not have cracks or hangnails. My hands stay soft, not dry.

I use Gold Bond hand lotion....there's no alcohol so you don't get that rebound thing. I was going thru way too much lotion before this. The plus for this --------my fingernails are growing for the first time in my life!!!!!!!!!

I love L'Occitane hand cream, but it is pretty spendy. It is the best though, in my opinion. But I did pick up some Crabtree and Evelyn hand cream a while back that was wonderful too. I got the Citron scent, but it comes in several different scents. I think it was 15.00 for the tube, but worth every penny.

I like Silicone Glove too. Lotions are a waste for me. My skin needs cream, LOL.

I make a similar hand and foot softener like the $ store cream. for $3 you can make a coolwhip bowl full. First melt in the microwave 1/2 small jar of vasiline after it is liquid quickly stir in 1/2 jar vitamin E cream and 1/2 bottle pink baby lotion. I was told to use only the pink baby lotion. I been using this for years and my hands and heels are very soft for a 61 yr old farm girl. also helps the elbows. I use all products and brands from the dollar store. Good luck. Mary

I buy Wool Wax Creme in Berlin Ohio. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by lilithcat
    Quote Originally Posted by kso
    Avon's silicone glove hand cream.
    Amen! That stuff is wonderful! I keep a tube in every room and one in my purse. It's not greasy and really lasts once you put it on.

Cat
    Yep. And you can use it and go right back to working with fabric and it doesn't cause a problem. Not greasy or slippery. Great stuff!

Blog Entries
    Glaxxal Base.
    It's the thick cream that pharmacists use to mix medication into for medicated creams.
    It has no perfumes, alcohols, silicone,etc.
    Just a good heavy moisturizing cream
    Also good on eczema.
    I know. I'm a nurse who washes her hands about 300 times a shift :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
    Help! I've tried every hand cream there is, including Gloves in a Bottle and the stuff they use on cows udders, but nothing seems to really help - especially after handling fabric. With winter coming on, I'm sure there are others out there with the same problem.
    For me it isn't so much WHAT I use, but WHEN I use it. When my hands get really dry I slather them before I go to bed. In the morning they are much softer. Also after I have washed my hands and they are damp, I slather them and go read for a while till the cream has penetrated. You can even put on a pair of gloves for a while.

My daughter has terribly dry skin that she inherited as a result of family genes. Anyway we have been to soooooooooooo many skin and regular drs, and there is one thing that really works, Straight up Vaseline and cotton socks and gloves. Grease down at night and in the morning things are softer, cracks are less visible and feet and hands are happy. I started this when she was very young and today at 28yrs of age she still is doing this.

Avon's Slicone Glove

All of the above and one more simple thing...drink at least one more 8oz glass of water each day. The skin as an organ is at the bottom of the list of priorities for fluid. It is the first organ to lose moisture and the last to get it. I know it sounds way too simple but there it is, you will feel better generally and your skin will thank you.

What do I use for dry hands? The dishwasher.

Seriously, having a bad case of ecxema, my dermatologist told me after I finally had it cleared up from using his expensive cream, to keep it moist in the future by using vaseline. He (the expensive dermatologist) told me that the ingredient in all the expensive creams that really makes them work is the petroleum jelly, so just buy the petroleum jelly and save my money on all the extra fancy stuff added. Aside from the greasy feeling (which I discovered isn't so bad if I use just a tad of petroleum jelly and really massage it in) it has worked great for me.

Corn Huskers Lotion is the absolute best product ever for dry, chapped hands. My father, who gardened a lot and was out in all kinds of weather using his hands, used it all the time. Everyone I've recommended it to has loved it! It is non greasy and makes your hands feel like silk. My DH doesn't like the smell, but I do, so that's just a matter of your personal taste, but it very healing to chapped skin.

best products I have found are Vitamin E oil and olive oil, the
    kind you cook with, yes. Both are great.

I used to see BeautiControl and have quite a bit of the Hand Repair and it is very good. But, I use what Harriet Hargrave recommends (I am almost sure it's Harriet) and it's Neutrogena Norwegian Formula intensive moisture wrap complete comfort, fragrance free. It's great.

That should read "I used to SELL..." Guess that's why there is a preview button.

I have a terrible time with dry hands and especially dry cuticles. I find it's especially worse in winter and when I'm hand piecing/hand quilting. An earlier quilter said she uses CVS Dry Skin Therapy. On the tube it says it's comparable to Eucerin Calming Creme. I've been using it several times a day for a week or so and I can tell a big difference in my dry hands and dry cuticles. It comes in a 14 oz tube and I think it cost around $10.00. It's not greasy and it absorbs quickly. Hope this helps.

Sara

I second the recommendation for Aquaphor. My physical therapist recommended it after my wrist surgery in 2003 and have been using it ever since. It's about $15 for a large jar and will last for years. Here is a picture - give it a try!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Our son has terribly dry hands to the point where the finger pads split and bleed. Dermatologists, etc. all recommended creams but nothing worked until a pharmacist suggested a multi-vitamin and fish oil. It has worked for years. While that won't make hands nice and soft, it eliminates the need for meds/creams/etc if the dryness is excessive.

I use some stuff I found in Hawaii. It's kukui cream in the jars made by Oils of Aloha. I also work in a medical setting and wash my hands alot. I've found this to be very effective. Shipping charges aren't that bad either.

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    Find the biggest jar of Aquaphor you can find and massage into hands, elbow and feet morning and night............. your skin will be as soft as a baby's behind!

Bag Balm sometimes

I prewash fabric too, except I quit trying to wash charm packs. I mostly use a lotion called "Lubriderm Skin Nourishing", I found at the drugstore. Dr. once recommended something with Shea in, so found that one & have been using it ever since. Not greasy, soaks right in, smells nice & feels good. I watch for it on sale, & even get a free tube size, along with the bigger pump size sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
    Help! I've tried every hand cream there is, including Gloves in a Bottle and the stuff they use on cows udders, but nothing seems to really help - especially after handling fabric. With winter coming on, I'm sure there are others out there with the same problem.
    Try creaming your hands real good with the creamy vaseline before you go to bed and sleep with those moisturizing gloves on. I have to do this in the winter time because mine actually crack and bleed, very painful!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast