Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do your grandchildren call you? >

What do your grandchildren call you?

What do your grandchildren call you?

Old 11-14-2011, 09:30 AM

My grand kids call me "Yaya" which is Greek for grandmother; but I'm not Greek. My husband is half Greek and half Italian. So my kids called his mom "Yaya!" Both my kids wanted their kids to have a "Yaya," so I decided ok, a bit reluctantly. Plus my mom is alive and well at almost 84 and she is Great Grandma, but mostly "Grandma" since it's easier. Then I discovered how great it is to be called "Yaya" because they say it so affectionately!! Also, each of them could say "Yaya" almost before mommy, daddy or any other name!!!!!! I love being Yaya and love to hear their excitement as they say my name when I see them! Melts my heart.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:41 AM

Some call me grandmother and I gave the option of calling me Meme. I had some conflict with my oldest son because he wanted his children to call me granny and I oppose this because my children called my mother granny. This cause some confusion with my youngest son when they called me granny, my youngest would say granny is dead. My mother pass on when he was younger . If I am not within sight distance I want answer to granny. I thought it was cute that a friend has her granddaughter call her GiGi
Old 11-14-2011, 09:44 AM

Gamma and Granpa
Old 11-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2 View Post
I will be a new grandmother in May and was just wondering.......what do your grandchildren call you? Looks like I am gonna be a "maw-maw"
I had one grandson who called me MeeMaw when he was little. Now they all call me Grandma or Grandma Bunnie.
My oldest granddaughter calls me Gram. My husband is Grandpa. When our oldest grandchildren were little he was
Grumpy Bear.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:25 AM

My grandson would say "Neemaw" instead of "Grandma" and it has stuck ever since.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by dd View Post
Well, I always wanted to be called Granny, like on Beverly Hillbillies, but that was the step-grandmothers name on the other side and she already had grandkids, our first. Then I thought I'll go with Mom-mom, that what the babysitting kids always called my mother. No, that's the other grandmother and she already has grandkids too. So my other child say how about Gam-gam or Gammy. That's what we went with. Well, when he started talking he called me dd and it has stuck. I like it and it's very original. Weren't not sure why he says it but that's ok with me. It was very confusing at first when people would say grandma to him and he didn't know who they were referring to. Some people think that is my name and others think I'm the caregiver instead of the grandma. We're not sure how he spells it, he's almost 3, so we are just going with the 2 lower case d's for now. That's why it's my screen name.
my step-daughters nicknamed me dee-dee shortened to dd. my grandchildren call me grandee. love it. my screen name is dd + birth year (dd55).
Old 11-14-2011, 10:53 AM

All of mine calls me " Gandma" no r after the G.......
Old 11-14-2011, 11:05 AM

Congratulation! Being a grandmother is the absolute best! My daughter is expecting baby girl #4 in March and I'm so excited.

I'm Oma, I was born in the Netherlands and moved to the US when I was 6. My husband is Papa and they call my mom Grandma Oma. It's funny when they introduce me to their friends, they always get strange looks and have to explain that I'm Grandma. I called my Grandma in the US Grams...she was the best.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:05 AM

Mine all call me MIMI the first could not say Grammy so this what stuck!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:25 AM

Didn't want to be know the same way my husbands mother was, so I asked that all call me "Oma" - German for grandmother....fits as we're of German descent. Easier for the grandbabies to say, too. My hubby stuck with "Grandpa", though - which is fine as the other grandfather is known as "Papa".