Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What gets off soap scum and hard water off shower? >

What gets off soap scum and hard water off shower?

What gets off soap scum and hard water off shower?

Old 10-02-2010, 12:57 PM

Good answer! :lol:
Old 10-02-2010, 01:10 PM

Lots of good suggestions on this thread. Both Hubby and I have lung problems and have to be real careful. I rarely use commercial sprays, but Awesome is the exception.

I use white vinegar to which I have added a good squeeze of blue Dawn dishwashing detergent. This is in a quart spray bottle and I seem to tolerate the stream of cleaner for cleaning most surfaces.

DS and DDIL have moved into a new condo where the water is expecially hard. I hope the association will soon approve the installation of a water softener. Just think of the damage being done to the dishwasher, washing machine and plumbing. I am aghast at the visible damage already to the bath fixtures and faucets. I will try some of these suggestions. Thanks for sharing :-)
Old 10-02-2010, 01:22 PM

I spoke to a friend who runs a Green Clean company, and she said her staff do this on stubborn shower scum: Mix bicarbonate of soda with water to make a paste, then wipe off. Spray with cleaning vinegar - straight up, no water, or cheap white vinegar, straight, then rinse well, especially if there are asthmatics in the house. If it is really stubborn, use a cream cleanser like Jif.
To maintain, keep a spray bottle of 1 part vinegar, 3 parts water in the shower and spray before you shower - unless you have asthma.
Cheers, Rain, and thanks to Jo for her wisdom.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:25 PM

did you try CLR? I think it is fantastic - comes premixed ina spray or in a refill jug that you dilute with water and put into a spray bottle. CLR stands for calcium, lime and rust. And it gets rid of the soap scum, too.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by littleone
Here in Edmonton we have really hard water, the best thing found..good old plain white vinegar. Spray it on leave it a few min. and wipe off; We even have to soak the shower head in vinegar due to the buildup from the hard water.
Hey, thanks! We are on our well water - yummmmm! - but sure gums up the shower head. I've tried CLR, lime away, etc. with little luck. Will try vinegar! Wonder if it would help to keep a spray bottle in the shower and give the head a squirt after every shower?

Oh, thanks, Rainy! I was on the right track, then.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Dkm

Dryer sheets. They work great. I have used them right after a shower or when it's dry. You know that the sheets have some type of coating on them that can clog up your lint filter. If you use them you should wash the filter every so many months.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:33 PM

once it is clean...
wipe it down each and every time after showering with a squeegee or a towel.

you will be amazes how seldom you have to do any heavy cleaning......

Ten seconds after the shower is all it takes...but try and tell kids that !!!!!!!!!!

but it really does work.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:56 PM

what i use and works like a miracle is i spray the tub with Arm and Hammer Scrub free , the one in a orangeish color bottle not the one with bleach (cant stand the smell ) let it soak a few minutes then get a Mr Clean pad respray some of the tub if it dried on there and wipe with the Mr Clean sponge and it shines !! love both products
Old 10-02-2010, 04:58 PM

I had the same problem & a friend who does tile work said to use 3 parts white vinegar & 1 part lime juice every time we shower. Works great!
Old 10-02-2010, 04:58 PM

I was giving my July Good Housekeeping magazine a final once over just today and Heloise answered the exact same question. She said that after you take a shower, when the glass is still steamy, "pour a bit of cheap hair shampoo or liquid dish soap (both break down grease and oils) onto a plastic scrubby or sponge that won't scratch the glass. Apply and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse well, and repeat this process if needed or until the buildup is gone." After that, keep a squeegee in the shower and wipe the glass after each shower.