Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What gifting a quilt means to me >

What gifting a quilt means to me

What gifting a quilt means to me

Old 12-29-2010, 10:21 AM
A

Why not just sit down and write your mother in law a love letter telling her of all the various things you thought about her while you quilted her quilt? Tell her about the various blocks and why they meant a lot to you - for only her. Tell her many thing/reasons that you love her & also love it that her son is your husband. Your gift of the quilt is simply a way of expressing love. Perhaps she has very little self confidence - boost her up!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pal
"I love you, Mom"
That's funny. In all the years I have known my MIL, I have never actually called her anything. I make sure that we have eye-contact in person and on the phone, it's no problem. She is not someone I would feel comfortable calling "mom" and it is too weird to call her by her first name. For the longest time she would end her calls with some sappy "I love you honey" or some other BS to which I replied (depending on my mood) "Allrighty then" or "That's nice" - She FINALLY got the message and gave up. (Wiping brow). lol
Old 12-29-2010, 12:34 PM

It may be that she wants a SPECIFIC interaction (Compliments? Invitations? Accepting/seeking advise? Respect for life choices?) from you and without that then she is not sure that you like her - in the way that she wants to be or is comfortable that she is 'liked'.

Family is culture and the probability is that your method of communicating that you care is a mis-match with her expectations of how people who 'like' each other interact. I'm pragmatic and blunt - not affectionate or demonstrative and often I have a difficult time 'communicating' with the gentler kinder people in my life.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by mommamac
how about sending her a note - something like:

I heard that your new quilt has visited many people ~ I'm thrilled that you think so much of it. Only special people get quilts from me and I'm happy to say you are one!
I think this is a very good idea.

When my MIL came to live with us I wasn't sure how that would work. I once made the comment that I wasn't sure it would work because I didn't know if she liked me. She never interacted with me a lot. Her reply was, "You are a redhead I was leaving you alone." The thing she said later was I was easier to get along with than any of her other DIL's. So..you just never know.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:49 PM

I heard that your new quilt has visited many people ~ I'm thrilled that you think so much of it. Only special people get quilts from me and I'm happy to say you are one!
I agree with this...write her a note telling her how happy you are that she loves the quilt you made for her. And make sure she understands that she is special to you.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:26 PM

I think this is a home run of an answer, and you are very wise Mommamac. Rita
Old 12-29-2010, 01:35 PM

I was kind of thinking along these same lines. There is a book out there about love languages by Gary Chapamn. I've read the book, and the funny thing is, I still don't know what my "love language" is, but I can spot others. For an example, my DIL is an excellent gift giver. She really pays attention to what people like, and her gifts reflect that. It is her love language. Maybe you need to find out what you MIL's love language is:
Words of Affirmation
Quality Time
Receiving Gifts
Acts of Service
or
Physical Touch

Originally Posted by rslindiana
It may be that she wants a SPECIFIC interaction (Compliments? Invitations? Accepting/seeking advise? Respect for life choices?) from you and without that then she is not sure that you like her - in the way that she wants to be or is comfortable that she is 'liked'.

Family is culture and the probability is that your method of communicating that you care is a mis-match with her expectations of how people who 'like' each other interact. I'm pragmatic and blunt - not affectionate or demonstrative and often I have a difficult time 'communicating' with the gentler kinder people in my life.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
No matter how much I do for my MIL who lives on our property in her own house and I keep her yard mowed, pay her sattelite and water, run errands, take her to doctors, everything....and she thinks I don't like her. I love her and sometimes I don't like her because she can say some pretty mean things at whim. But my DH is her only son and I respect her for that. So don't take it personally, you know you have done everything to show it, let her learn to feel it. *H*U*G*S*
This is exactly whats between myself and my MIL but she has gone so far to say my DH should have married a girl named trudy This woman lives with us and if she needs anything it is my responsibility to do and I do it willingly Her other two sons who live in this same village comeand see her one on the average of once a month and the other about once a year
Old 12-29-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do
I think I'd really look at the person who told you that and wonder about any hidden agenda that person might have (unless it's your husband). I never really understand why people pass that kind of info along. Is it meant to make you happier? More secure with her? I just don't get that.
But, I am glad that she loved your quilt. I'd take her actions over someone else's talk anytime.
I agree here. Consider the source. Actions speak louder than words. Just be happy that she is happy with the quilt.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:19 PM

That is an excellent response!!!!!!!