Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What I am doing during a quilt break.. >

What I am doing during a quilt break..

What I am doing during a quilt break..

Old 06-20-2012, 10:30 AM

Aren't you creative ...
Old 06-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

I love what you are doing here to use up the fabrics from the too good to toss things. May I make a suggestion? Have hubby make you a wooden shuttle to make your weaving a little easier. Just a fairly skinny, long smooth wooden one with an eye to thread the fabric into would work wonders.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I love what you are doing here to use up the fabrics from the too good to toss things. May I make a suggestion? Have hubby make you a wooden shuttle to make your weaving a little easier. Just a fairly skinny, long smooth wooden one with an eye to thread the fabric into would work wonders.
Acually I have used a loom with a shuttle, but this is a different technique called twining. The 2 strips of fabric are being - for lack of a better discription - wrapped around each warp, one in front and one in back and not really woven in a traditional loom. This is really an easy technique - soothing, and just what I needed for my cleanse my crafting palate. I am accomplishing something in very small amounts of time(sometimes 5 or 10 minutes) and I am repurposing/reusing/recycling some stuff that would normally be discarded, so kind of cleansing my sewing and storage space as well.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:47 PM

That looks like fun and a great way to use up fabric scraps. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

Eco friendly and beautiful....what more could anyone ask for. Love it!
Old 06-21-2012, 04:10 AM

I have a frame like this .I love it ! Thrift store sheets are the best fot the foundation . I cut my strips with a curvy rotary cutter blade . I used to just rip them but there are much less threasds involved with the curvy blade . You are gonna love these rugs ! Mine can be adjusted to make things as small as placemats. Nice heavy rugs that do not fall apart with a few washings. Nice and thick so they don't scoot around on my wood floors and my dogs Love them !

Last edited by raedar63; 06-21-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I just use a cut hanger taped at the end to form a loop . Although it would be awesome to have a hubby that would make me a wooden one
Old 06-21-2012, 04:19 AM

Thats going to be a great looking rug! How clever, good job.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:28 AM

What a great idea, love your rug....
Old 06-21-2012, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
I have a frame like this .I love it ! Thrift store sheets are the best fot the foundation . I cut my strips with a curvy rotary cutter blade . I used to just rip them but there are much less threasds involved with the curvy blade . You are gonna love these rugs ! Mine can be adjusted to make things as small as placemats. Nice heavy rugs that do not fall apart with a few washings. Nice and thick so they don't scoot around on my wood floors and my dogs Love them !
Yours is adjustable - is it made with a pipes at the top and bottom? I thought about that way too, and I am thinking of having HH make one like that too for the adjustability factor. I can't believe how much fun I am having making this rug! I ripped sheets this time as well and I like your curvy blade idea, I will have to try that too.