Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What  I found out about refrigerators..... >

What I found out about refrigerators.....

What I found out about refrigerators.....

Old 06-14-2011, 07:01 PM

We had to break down recently and get a new refrigerator and heard the same thing. The salesperson kept telling us how much energy the new one would save us. I had my doubts until our electric bill came the following month. Salesman was right our bill went down $15.00 a month because of the new refrigerator.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:08 PM
QM
Power Poster

When I married my DH 31 years ago, he told me that we needed a new refer, although my old one worked. He had measured and said the utility savings would more than pay for it. I thought he was being peculiar, but he was right. Our power bill went down about $50 a month. My very expensive super low power refer we bought 11 years ago died after 6 years. The much cheaper replacement uses almost as little power. There is a lot of variation on this, but DH (AC tech) says keeping the coils etc clean helps motor life up.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by dixiebelle162002
I just purchased a new refrigerator, because my old one bit the dust. I told the salesman I was disappointed with it because it had only lasted for about 16 years. He told me these new ones only have a life expectancy of 8 to 10 years. Can you believe that???? I didn't buy a cheap one either; I guess I better start saving up for the next one.
Same with wahers and dryers... had to replace the washer that was only 6 years old :(
Old 06-14-2011, 07:30 PM

I still have a freezer that we bought in 1972.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by erstan947
Mine is 16 years old too. I expect it to go to refrig heaven at any time. I hate to spend money on appliances. I'd rather by a sewing machine or fabric:)
Same here!! LOL
A roof is even worse. At least you can use a fridge :D
Old 06-14-2011, 08:07 PM

Last year our super expensive washing machine passed away at only 6 1/2 yrs. Replaced it with a cheap machine and will see how long this one lasts. Companies deliberately make appliances to die in just a few years. They make the repair parts so expensive that you throw them out. I hate this waste.

Kat
Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 PM

Please don't say roof! Need one! Then my furnace and hit water tank pooped! Getting new one is horrible!!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:12 AM

We replaced our stove and fridge 3 years ago. The ones we replaced had lasted 28 years! I do not like the new....electric smooth-top stove takes forever to bring water to a boil and the fridge does not seem to keep things cold as I would like. But, still do not want to have to replace them for awhile. We have a washer-dryer pair (Maytag) that is 25 years old. We keep babying them along. We will look to replace them later this summer.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:58 AM

so far mine that I got from sears about 12 years ago is still going. It wasn't top of the line after remodeling my kitchen I couldn't afford that. That being said my old fridge (20yrs old) is in the sunroom as a backup. She's getting more tempermental now; she needs to be defrosted or she'll start shutting down. She is a frost free but with her age also came some frost but she still works. Keep up the maintenance and you'd be surprised how long she'll last
Old 06-15-2011, 07:51 AM

We have a GE washer that came with the first house we bought in 1980. It was on an enclosed porch and had frozen over the winter, but still worked. Shortly after we started using we noticed it was emptying slowly. Took the hose off the back and removed an entire long-sleeve men's shirt (not ours). Still working, I think we had to change a belt once.