Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What kind of embrodiery machine suggestions >

What kind of embrodiery machine suggestions

What kind of embrodiery machine suggestions

Old 06-17-2016, 06:40 PM

Default What kind of embrodiery machine suggestions

If I need to buy a new embrodiery machine what kind should I consider and why? My current machine has been giving me fits and I have had in the shop twice and still not right. I am a bit frustrated right now so I may consider another machine. Two embrodiery machines wouldn't hurt my feelings when one is in the shop I would still have another
Old 06-17-2016, 07:32 PM

Find a dealer you can work with....who offers service, classes and even hand-holding, if you need it.
Buy the highest grade and style that fits into your budget. Buy the one with the largest hoop you can buy, you will outgrow a 4x4 or even a 5x7 hoop. A color screen is nice, and absolutely a USB drive to transfer designs. I never cable my computer to my machine, I am fearful of a virus transferring to my embroidery machine.
I rcently purchased a Baby Lock Aventura to use in my motorhome. I have a Baby Lock Destiny, but she is too big to take on the road. The Aventura has many of the features of the Destiny, and has a 6x10 hoop. Many of the standard feet are interchangeable between the two machines (saves on buying duplicate feet). Fairly lightweight, about 30 pounds.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:30 PM

Thanks Bneighbor! yes, a bigger hoop would be a great idea. My largest is the 5x7 currently. Currently, I use the compact flash, so USB would be super nice.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:34 PM

You don't mention what brand you currently own, because it is nice if they can use the same programs and learning the new machine won't be so different. Luckily I can change the extension on my designs, but I think if I were going to buy another machine I would still stay with Viking/Husqvarna because I am already familiar with how they work. My friend has the Brother 770 and it had a bit of a learning curve since she was used to using my machine. Also, my machine has a larger hoop so she is now wishing she had the bigger one.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:41 AM

I have Baby Lock, Pfaff and a Viking. They all do a great job, but the Baby lock is the most user friendly.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
you don't mention price range. how about a multi needle machine. this way you don't have to change the thread everytime it goes to a new color. Happy and Brother make good home machine for that. i th ink you could also get a good professional machine for a decent price too. I have a Brother pE770, but used to work on professional machine with up to 20 heads, which you don't need. but a single head would be nice with multi needles.
Lynnie, I have been considering the brother pe770. So this is a decent machine for a home hobbist? I currently have a Janome and it has given me more headaches than I can take. My support on this has not been there. I have heard good things on the brother. I would need to buy a software to convert files too. True Sizer perhaps?
Old 06-23-2016, 08:27 AM

I would like an embroidery machine that I could quilt the blocks in a quilt with. Anybody do this?
Old 06-23-2016, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
I would like an embroidery machine that I could quilt the blocks in a quilt with. Anybody do this?
Yes, Rose. I use a Husqvarna diamond embroidery machine and will use patterns from emblibrary. I can then quilt the block and then sash together (sort of like computerized quilt as you go method).
works quite well!
Old 06-23-2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
I have a janome 11000 and I`m quilting birds through all 3 layers

Gale
Attached Thumbnails birds.jpg  
Old 06-24-2016, 06:03 AM

I have the Brother PE770. I only do machine embroidery occasionally, so it suits me fine. I've never used/had another embroidery machine so not sure how it stacks up, but seems easy enough to use. So far all of the problems I've had have been user error (wrong fabric for the design, wrong stabilizer...etc.)

The only gripe I have about it is the screen. It's a tiny little monochromatic screen, and it's nearly impossible to tell what design it's showing you. I "solve" that by keeping my designs on my PC and only putting the few designs I'm going to immediately be using on my thumb drive. That way I'm not trying to browse though a bunch of designs on that tiny screen.