Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What kind of foods do Australians eat? >

What kind of foods do Australians eat?

What kind of foods do Australians eat?

Old 06-11-2013, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by maryellen2u View Post
I love this thread! I am so glad Rhonda asked the question. Now if I only knew what really went into marmite and vegemite. If it smells atrocious what does it taste like?
Vegemite doesn't smell. Every Australian child use to be given Vegemite on toast from an early age. Vegemite is a yeast extract and can be quite salty. We spread it thinly. We have such a multi cultural population now that we have a wide variety of foods, most of them delicious.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
Vegemite has changed in its flavour since the American company bought it. I used to like it until then. I suppose they were trying to make it palatable to other people as well as Australians. It is definitely not as good. The same can be said of the Arnott's biscuits as well. They are half the size and have a different flavour. I this way, food is becoming much more similar and gradually loses the individuality which keeps it attractive.
Vegemite is made by Kraft which has always been an American company.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
The biscuit/cookie recipe looks delicious. What is golden syrup? Could I use pure maple syrup instead or honey?
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_syrup it's treacle derived from sugar cane. I'm sure you'd have it there.

Mike
Old 06-11-2013, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
Vegemite doesn't smell.
Sorry Katesnanna, but that's totally not true. I ate it on toast just this morning for breakfast and it definitely smells!
It smells (unsurprisingly) like yeast, or beer brewing (since that's where it comes from).

Mike
Old 06-11-2013, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
My late husband was English so I know all about marmite and vegemite.
Marmite is English and is derived from meat. Vegemite is a beer by-product which has always been made in Australia and contains no meat whatsoever (but does contain a lot of salt).
Old 06-11-2013, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
My late husband was English so I know all about marmite and vegemite. I believe you take a whole cow and cook him horns, hoofs and innerds and the last bit of him is put into a jar. I absolutely refused to let him eat it at the table with the rest of us, the smell was atrocious. I know that when we travel overseas, I take my peanut butter and you all take your marmite and vegemite. You can have it ! (I am saying all this with a big smile on my face so please do not be offended !).
This one makes me laugh too. It is actually made from a yeast extract ( possibly discovered whilst brewing beer) - however, I've heard worse descriptions than yours...obviously an acquired taste. Incidentally, peanut butter made me sick the first time I ate it but I don't mind it now as it is OK on raisin bread.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
Vegemite is made by Kraft which has always been an American company.
I stand corrected, I knew Kraft made it, but thought it was a more recent purchase re the American side of it. It was as far back as 1939 - so my idea was way off. They inform me that the change has been that they have reduced the salt content from 10% to 8%. I guess I like the salt.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:35 AM

We brought a very small jar of vegemite back with us when we were in Australia in 1999. It is still almost full, smells and looks the same as it did the day we opened it. There is a Veggie Tales song that has "vegemite" in it, so we brought it back so our friends could see what it is. No one, so far, has taken more than a tiny smidgen of it. Guess it'll last another 10 yrs or more. By the way, in Australia "biscuits" are cookies and "slice" is their term for what I would call bar cookies. The kind you bake in a pan like brownies and slice them to serve. (I noticed one of the posting used the term slice.)
Old 06-11-2013, 06:28 AM

Cizzors asked what kangaroo tastes like. I'm not an Aussie, but I have spent time there and I would say kangaroo is a dark meat that takes like a liver-y beef. I like liver so the flavor didn't put me off. Perhaps others would describe it differently, but that's what I recall. I liked it.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 AM

OMG....who made up the story of cooking a whole cow, hooves and horns....I have never heard such rubbish.....we in Australia eat the same food as you do in the States.....maybe we have different names for some of the products...which I have found when trying to follow a recipe. We have different nationalities living here, and they have introduced the different foods etc. and the restaurants, so we have such a large variety of menu.....which I found to be the same, when I lived with my niece in New York.....apart from the odd Kangaroo meat, which I feed to my dog, and the old Vegemite, which is a yeast product.....our supermarkets are the same as yours.