Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the most unusual gift you have ever gotten/ given? >

What is the most unusual gift you have ever gotten/ given?

What is the most unusual gift you have ever gotten/ given?

Old 11-22-2011, 05:38 AM

Background: We are not normally a gift giving family. We get things for each other year round, for no special occasion, usually when we're together, so there are no surprises of unwanted or unusable items, and no needless spending. (something which will never be used.) My DH is a nurse, therefore, most of his co-workers have always been women.

Valentines Day was approaching and the girls were asking DH what he was getting for me. They wouldn't accept the nothing answer, and pressured him to think about something I really wanted. He had to mail order it, so had it shipped to one of them, but didn't tell what it was. When it arrived, he opened the box to inspect the contents. The girls were apparently shocked and dismayed that he would get such a thing for a romantic occasion. He made a lot of jokes about how the gift would be used, how we'd use it in dark places together, and told them that I would love it. I did love it, and still use it.

The gift was 600 feet of caving rope. To that point, the longest rope I had was 300 feet which I had won as a door prize. There were several deep pits that I wanted to rappel, but didn't have enough rope to make the drops. Off to the dark we go, to drop the pits far below. Now that gift was unusual in that we didn't normally give gifts. For my point of view, it was romantic. His co-workers thought he was nuts.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:42 AM
dd

My husband gave me a rear spoiler for my car one year. I sent him a belly dancer for his birthday one year. The boss called an "impromptu" company meeting. You should have heard the grumblin until she came out. Have it all on video.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:39 AM

The Peter warmers are cracking me up!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:18 AM

A fun read.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Old 11-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Pat gave me money in a card one year. I told him that if I EVER accepted money left on the bed-side table it would be for services rendered, and trust me buddy THIS would NOT be nearly enough! I practically screamed it at him. Come to find out, he wanted to get me a purse (but with the exception of fabric shopping, the man has no idea of my taste) and he thought that a gift certificate was TOO IMPERSONAL! ROFL. Soon after that incident we just plain old gave up gift giving. It's too painful. We are just the two of us and we should get what we really want. So now, we go get "it" together.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:00 PM

I told my husband I needed something in which to store earrings. I got a mini muffin pan. I remember that every time I see the pan. Incidentally, he also gave me a nice jewelry box too as the real gift.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:59 PM

I'm bummed, can't think of any unusual gifts on my end, but my quilting buddy gave her soon to be son-in-law anfive gallon container of ketchup(with the pump) for christmas one year.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:13 PM

First Christmas with my soon to be husband - he gave me long underwear and windshield wiper blade replacements....... I married him anyway.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:58 PM

All of these are cute. I don't think I have ever gotten or given an unusual gift. Just an old stick in the mud.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:11 PM

My DH is usually very good at giving gifts for special occasions but one Mother's day, he didn't know what to get for me. He bought me a weed whacker that year. I thought "I can get mad or get even" and the get even part won. For father's day he recieved The Big Book of Scrap Quilts as his gift. We laughed so hard that we do this every year. It takes the pressure off of finding a gift for each other.