Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What other hobbies do you have??

I love the quilting projects and they take up much of my time. But, I also have many other things I enjoy doing. Are you also like that?

A short list of the things I like to do are ...

1. embrodery hand and machine
    2. making jewlery with the best findings I can get my hands on (bead shops and internet shopping)
    3. Home decorating (I sew for this too)
    4. sewing clothing and accesories (for myself and others)
    5. gardening and landscaping ( I used to start seeds indoors each year)
    6. Art museums and and craft fairs (an outing to inspire me)
    7. Cooking, baking, jelly and relish making and some canning
    8. crocheting
    9. photography

I get sidetracked with all this sometimes and my quilting suffers. But, what is a girl to do?

Tell us what your hobbies are!

I like anything to do with needlework.
    Costuming
    Theater
    Scrapbooking
    Stained Glass
    Pistol shooting competitively
    Computers

I love to knit in the winter,too hot to do in the summer.
    also dh and I do a lot of 4-wheeling on his Honda f-wheeler, don't know if that is a hobby :lol: nothing to wild, we're both in our 50's.

Ninnie

Wow, you do a lot, Red. Do you ever slow down??? :shock:

In between my job, housework and family stuff, I do love to: obviously quilt, counted cross stitch, stained glass, crochet (but I'm admittedly lousy at it) and I squeeze in reading when I get a chance and I'm not too tired.

community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    Crocheting
    Dressmaking for my girls
    Embroidery (hand)
    Home Decorating
    Baking, canning etc.
    Organizing special events (PTO, church, quilt guild, etc.)
    Church Newsletter & bulletin
    Yardwork
    Gardening
    Kid's activities (Brownies, softball etc.)
    Shopping (especially for fabric!)
    Internet groups
    Walking/Hiking
    Reading

Crochet
    Reading
    My Volkswagen
    Gardening when I can (at my moms)
    Cooking (mostly baking)

But mostly...I work, and spend time with my family. I am thankful that I enjoy both!!

embrodiery by hand
    Crochet
    Knit
    Sew clothing
    Painting on China
    computer (internet, Forums, Blogs)

Let's see...
    I work (blah, but have to support my quilting some way!)
    I quilt
    I read some
    I quilt
    I play video games
    I quilt
    I play with the dogs
    I quilt

LOL somewhere in there, some of the housework gets done and the family fed, but I have to admit, everyone is "batching" it more and more. ("batching" is taking care to feed yourself when Mom doesn't feel like cooking. LOL)

I think I have a serious addiction here. :shock:

Oooooh, Jerrie. Painting on china? Is that the same as tole painting? That sounds wonderful -- It would be something I'd like to check out {pounding head on table 'cuz it's just another thing on my on-going list of things I HAVE to learn}. Can you post some pictures????

Quote Originally Posted by LoriJ
    Let's see...
    I work (blah, but have to support my quilting some way!)
    I quilt
    I read some
    I quilt
    I play video games
    I quilt
    I play with the dogs
    I quilt

LOL somewhere in there, some of the housework gets done and the family fed, but I have to admit, everyone is "batching" it more and more. ("batching" is taking care to feed yourself when Mom doesn't feel like cooking. LOL)

I think I have a serious addiction here. :shock:
    In my house we call it "Fending for Yourself" nights

My other hobbies are:

1. Home remodelling and repair.
    2. Landscaping
    3. Old cars
    4. Model trains
    5. Anything else which allows me to buy really cool tools.

Just call me Terry the Tool Man. And as I told my neighbor a couple of weeks ago......A butter knife is not a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by mytwopals
    Just call me Terry the Tool Man. And as I told my neighbor a couple of weeks ago......A butter knife is not a tool.
    So, Terry, I'm guessing you'd think that an aluminum meat tenderizer is not a hammer???? :lol:

hahaha when I first moved away to college and didn't have any tools, I used a high heeled shoe with a wide heel to use as a hammer for hanging pictures :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    So, Terry, I'm guessing you'd think that an aluminum meat tenderizer is not a hammer???? :lol:
    A meat tenderizer is a hammer. But not one you should be using to try and frame a house with.

Well all ive really been into is sewing/quilting lately and now with being layed off i have plenty of time to do what i want sure theres house work and my cat to take care of and trying to make this place over but sewing is whats really doing it for me these days, oh dear does this mean i have a problem as in maybe i need to join a recovery group for sewing lol

Gardening
    Reading
    Knitting
    Camping in our RV.

What else do I do?

Embroider
    Knit socks
    Read - espionage, murder mysteries, biographies
    Study biblical archeology and the Hebrew origins of Christianity
    Write poetry and short stories
    A lot of listening to younger women - quasi-counseling
    Travel and make resource packets for the grandchildren of the places we visit. (they have Amsterdam, Malta, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Estonia, Israel, Krakow, Poland w/ concentration camps info in connection with the Anne Frank's house materials.
    Help neighborhood kids with their English homework
    Translate written from Norwegian to English for my husband's work pals who hate to write in English

Hi,

I quilt, sew, read, sing, watch TV, lunch with my friends. Vounteer where possible. Lunch with my Red Hat club.

I crochet, love antiquing, I read about 7 books a month from the library, gardening, counted cross stitch, needlepoint, card making,and keeping up with the quilting.

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Other than quilting...

-I love to dance, I take ballroom, and I'm doing a triple swing in a show in a month.

-I paint and draw, mostly watercolor portraits, I find it challenging because it has to be so precise to look like the person it's supposed to look like. Plus, with watercolor you have to be careful not to mess up because you can't just paint over it. No erasing, no covering, it's hard but I love it.

-I play the guitar. I have 7 guitars, although one is in need of a new bridge, and an other (electric) is in pieces after I took it apart to give it a lovely new paint job ( I used metallic blue, left over from a car I painted at work)

Let me see if I can pull up a few pics for you guys...

[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...akobdylan1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...reviasuk-1.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...ur-melmarc.jpg[/IMG]

There are some more in this album, but I'm not sure it the link will work.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=efa71e9001

This is a Xing (??) brand gibson les paul replica, it plays SOOOOO well. I almose got the Epiphone les paulII, but this one is just manufactured so much better. Wonderful sound.
    Name:  Attachment-34451.jpe
Views: 5
Size:  24.5 KB

My fender 6 string on the left, a no name electro acoustic in the middle, and a washburn 12 string on the right.
    Name:  Attachment-34452.jpe
Views: 5
Size:  22.1 KB

I took this aria proII apart a couple of years ago, it was banged up and dented, so I fixed it, refinished it, and painted the tiger on the pick guard. The guitar used to be all white.
    Name:  Attachment-34460.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  54.7 KB

Blog Entries
    A meat tenderizer is a hammer. But not one you should be using to try and frame a house with.
    One must also be careful when explaining the use of said implement. My MIL called one day (when my English was not refined) while Pat was tenderizing a Schnitzel. She asked what the noise was in the background and I answered: Your son is beating his meat! (Stunned silence at her end and much head shaking from DH) :D

Back to topic: I read. watch TV, bake a little, spend lots of time on the QB and my German forum, but mostly, I do something quilty - even if it is just petting my stash. When honey is off swing shift, I hope we'll go back to dancing.

Besides quilting...

Home decorating and sewing
    I have power tools and know how to use them. Have laid tile floors, Pergo, sanded and painted cabinets, chair rail, wainscot, crown moulding, painting. Bought a 30 year old house, did all the repairs BY MYSELF, and sold it for $102k clear profit in 3 years.
    Gardening
    Reading

Family room but I still want to put some nice tile or marble around the fireplace.
    Name:  Attachment-34461.jpe
Views: 37
Size:  49.7 KB

The last room I finished, the guest room. Made the yellow pillows, the bolster pillows, re-did the chair I got for $50. And made the headboard from scrap wood and a sheet of plywood.
    Name:  Attachment-34462.jpe
Views: 38
Size:  32.6 KB

I did all the moulding.
    Name:  Attachment-34463.jpe
Views: 37
Size:  23.6 KB

Holy Smokes! There is some exceptionally talented people on this board! I am speachless!

I love getting to know you all from your posts. This is so neat to read what each of you enjoy doing.

Not to discount any one else, but, the baren*eh* canadian post is so great! What talent you have music and art .... I love it to pieces. Thank you for sharing your web site too. Lots of wonderful pictures you have done. ( You have blue jean fabric down perfectly.)

And pittsburgpam ... You really have done a wonderful job on your home. Your taste is impecable. I know how much time and love went into that work bringing the home up to this. Great Job!

Like I said before ... You are one talented group of quilter's. Thanks for sharing. It helps me to know you a little better by the things you spend time doing. Post pics if you have them!

And Ducky .... it's a joy to read your little cute comments. Makes me LOL.

Oh ... ghengis .... I think we all have that quilting disease here on quilting board. No I am not going to go to fabrics annon! I haven't started hiding it from dh yet, so I think I am ok. You don't want to be cured do you? LOL!

Red, there really are some really talented people here. The artwork is fabulous! Oh, to be so gifted. And, Pam, I LOVE your interior decorating. It looks so classy and refined....OMG, I wish you could come to Colorado to do my house. It needs a complete overhaul inside and out.

When I get around to it (maybe the weekend) I'll take photos of some of my stained glass. I have two lamps and a few framed pieces. Nothing phenomenal, but I like them.

This has been a nice thread, Red.

I do a lot of different things just to try them out, but I always have
    Knitting
    Crocheting
    Basket weaving (I teach this)
    Painting on everything, but not tole painting
    and the newest is jewelry (fun earrings mostly)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast