Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What to send to Army soldier Afghanistan? >

What to send to Army soldier Afghanistan?

What to send to Army soldier Afghanistan?

Old 11-26-2011, 03:51 PM

One thing I was doing for a friend stationed over there is to get those pouches that heats up they have one for gloves and one for feet. They pop the pouch and it gives them a few hours of heat its great to go into their gear. I also sent over the LL Bean thermal tops and bottoms they are like the Under Armour in style but not bulky. I'd also send them socks, they don't last long with the amount of time the spend in their boots.
We send Capri Sun pouches or juice boxes, those little packs of crackers and cheese or crackers and peanut butter, those little sleeves of various flavored nuts, I'd send them some candy canes at this time of year, and maybe some hardcandy, you can send them over the pouches of hot chocolate, I'd go to the dollar store and you can find little trees and decorations. Being away from home is hard on them even worse at the holidays. I'd send them some Christmas music but do the up beat songs (Jingle Bell Rock, Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer).
Old 11-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Power Poster

Well he send a message back with his shoe size, hand size and a request for personal hygiene products. He also asked me to say hi to the children. Needless to say he is not a man of many words. LOL It sounds like he might be interested in warm garments.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:53 AM

We had a talk by the British Legion about sending boxes to the troops. From what I remember the list included things such as. Toothpaste, toothbrushes, wet wipes, moisturiser, razors,lip balm, mints, chewing gum, biscuits (cookies),boiled sweets,( definitely no chocolate)hand cream, tissues, shampoo. All these personal items are difficult for them to attain. Another thing that was suggested was to include some Christmas cards for them to send home to their family, as they cannot obtain them. Another thing was childrens paint brushes, as they use them for cleaning out their rifles.If I think of any more items I will post. Sorry but I seem to have misplaced the list.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

Sall that is a great list already. If you find more info please post. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:39 PM

Default more ideas

Just a few more ideas. Crossword puzzle books or soduko books, soft small rubber basketballs,footballs, yo-yo's, hand held cheapo computer games like Tetris or poker. I frequently shop the toy sections in Walmart or K-Mart type stores and find little things to stuff in the box. In the winter I do send chocolate things, seems to arrive okay, jellybeans, individual oatmeal packets, popcorn, chips, jerkey, poptarts,magazines (sports or hunting/gun, popular mechanics, men's health) (I find older magazines at the thrift stores) any of the microwaveable single servings(spagetti o's, chili, mac & cheese), the foil packets of chicken or tuna, Little Debbie boxed snacks,(they're indiviually wrapped), Crystal Lite individual packets. I've also maded small pillow cases and sent 2 with a small travel size pillow, hand and foot warmers, socks(I get the regulation color tan or green at the Army-Navy Store.

I have so much fun shopping the variety stores and collecting "stuff" to stick in the box. I "adopt" soldiers from AdoptaPlatoon Organization, so I don't know the soldiers, until I get the ball rolling with a letter of introduction. I always tell them whatever I send they don't want, I assume they are sharing or giving it away. And at Valentine's Day, or Halloween and Christmas, I send large bag candy and include a box of Ziploc snack size baggies so they can share.

Doing this is one the most important things in my life right now. "till they all come home."
Susan
North Idaho
Old 11-28-2011, 06:10 AM

Just remebered a couple more items.. Powdered soup packets, and immodium tablets or similar (these are for diaharrea) Also ladies, do not forget our femail military, so some nice smelling things.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:15 AM

We had a young man just back from Afghanistan speak to our Bible study group that said they love to get q-tips. They use
them to keep their weapons clean from the sand.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 AM

I just left Afghanistan six weeks ago and we went crazy for the homemade baked goods like lemon bars, peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies, moist brownies with and without nuts, planters flavored nuts are a big hit. He would LOVE very small pocket-size wipes, lotions, sanitizer, portable toothbrushes and creams. Small soaps and shampoos for the shower. These thing must be able to fit into our cargo pockets. The knitted goods are fine but can't be worn during missions but they would love pocket crosses and rosaries that camoflage friendly too.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:28 PM

why not a lap quilt in patriotic colors, I have given several quilts to relatives and friends and they really appreciate them, if not patriotic, scrappy,,, I also make socks out of fleece and give them to men and women, they love them and they are super warm
Old 11-28-2011, 06:14 PM

Our nephew appreciated deoderants, foot powder (hot climate and the feet sweat badly) cotton socks for when off duty, lip balm, and baby wipes. We also sent granola bars, protein bars, and pringle chips in the tubes. We even sent over gun oil to clean his rifle, but remember, this is the Canadian military.