Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What is she doing?

Blog Entries
    DDIL thought of butter churn, but I never saw one that looked like that. I don't think it would have held enough cream. I remember helping my grandma make butter a couple times and they weren't crank types. Ice crusher was a thought too, but again, it doesn't seem like it would hold much ice. I still go with the meat grinder theory. Or the crank for moving files. DDIL says she is googling all your great thoughts and trying to expand on them. She says "Keep 'em coming!"

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    Hee heee ... my Engineer husband looked at for a long time, remarked on the size, shape, amount of manual power that needs to be exerted based on her position, etc etc etc ... then concluded that .......

...... "dunno, but it's not a pencil sharpener".
    Now that cracks me up!!

My DH & I think it looks like a theater curtain crank.
    Country 1

I got it, she is cranking a machine for bubbles on "the Lawrence Welk show. LOL
    Penny
    Country 1

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
    Thanks, I got a good chuckle out of that one! My DS, who is quite an antique buff has no idea. Google came up with some interesting looking things, but nothing like that.
    So did I! still chuckling at all the effort he went to to arrive at that conclusion.

Does any one in the family remember where she worked? That might help in the identification process.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ljs317 View Post
    Does any one in the family remember where she worked? That might help in the identification process.
    I was wondering the same thing. I believe the lady is an aunt to DDILs best friend. Unfortunately I believe neither the aunt or the mom are alive, but not positive about the aunt. Haven't had a chance to talk to DDIL since all these wonderful ideas have come in. I think I will e-mail her the link to this thread so she can check out the comments. The friend has also posted this on Facebook trying to get ideas.

maybe a school teacher. in the auditorium opening the curtain for a play.. just a thought
    ​debra

A voting booth?....as good a guessas anything else...lol.

Ladibug

I think it is a voting machine. I used to work the election and when you voted you went in the booth, pulled a curtain, then pulled down a lever for each person you were voting for. After polls closed there was a crank that you attached to the machine that cranked out 8 sheets of paper that were the size of the machine that had the votes and totals on it. I think this resembles that machine.
    Jothesewer

Blog Entries
    I asked my grandparents, who are in their late 80's. Their reply - "She's shredding office documents". I'm going to double-check with my mom. I didn't think shredding or recycling was a thing until the 70's or 80's.... maybe that's because I'm not old enough?

I'd say she was at work, maybe during the war and she is cranking an air raid siren lol

I say she dropped in some coins and is cranking out the postage stamps. Looks like mail boxes in the background.
    MaryB

Blog Entries
    Everyone has such great ideas. I sent DDIL the link to this thread so she can keep track without continually sending her a new post.

As far as the paper shredding, I am a child of the 40's, and don't remembr there being a lot of paper being around. I never heard of recycling before now. I just remember using handkerchiefs, cloth dish towels for everything. We never had paper towel that I remember. What I remember is "scrimping and saving", maybe the forrunner to recycling.

And yes, it does look like a mailbox, but seems like an awful heavy duty crank for cranking out stamps. We still can't figure out what is in the background, we thought it looked like a picture of "The coliseum".

Keep 'em coming guys! Love all the ideas!

Blog Entries
    I think she is a post mistress
    catherine antone

I just asked a friend on facebook. Can't wait to see what he thinks it is.

Blog Entries
    Couple more suggestions:
    She is moving the floor, as in a new car demonstration, where the cars go around so spectators can see all sides. Floor moves like on the Rachael Ray show.
    and this comes from my aunt: A toilet paper 'roller'. You put the Sears catalogue in the 'mailbox' and roll it around a cardboard tube. It is now a roll of toilet paper...

Could it be a high-density filing system? They open and close to use much less space than conventional filing systems. Could she be in uniform and doing war work? I have pictures of my DM in DC during WWII when she worked for the FBI and the hair style is identical.

The picture 'feels' posed to me, as if it were taken to demonstrate the contrivance she is operating, which would explain her apparently awkward stance....
    Last edited by Greenheron; 11-25-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    It is a stamp machine. Go to antique stores and you are likely to find one. I'm retired postmaster.

LOL on second look it looks like a crank for a camping trailer, or an air raid siren, a pasta machine, a bosom developer, or an awning. Seriously, if we could get a better look at what's in the rack behind her, that would help. Can you do a larger picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Learner747 View Post
    It is a stamp machine. Go to antique stores and you are likely to find one. I'm retired postmaster.
    That is what I suggested that it was due to the background looking as if there are mail boxes on the wall behind her.
    MaryB

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. I kinda go with the stamp machine too. DDILs friend was going through old photos and found this. She has exhausted any info from whatever family is left; so DDIL thought that maybe since I have been around for so long () I would recognize it. And since I didn't, I decided to call on all my expert friends here on the QB.

I love the Sears catalogue turned into toilet paper idea. When I was a kid and visited my grandparents, there was always a Sears catalogue in the outhouse alongside a basket of corn cobs. I asked my dad why, and he told me. YUK!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2