Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What type of batting/padding should I use? >

What type of batting/padding should I use?

What type of batting/padding should I use?

Old 07-13-2013, 08:41 AM

Default What type of batting/padding should I use?

I want to make seat pads for these patio chairs. What type of batting/padding would you recommend? Also, any special type of fabric that you think would work well (the outdoor patio is covered).
Attached Thumbnails chair.jpg  
Old 07-13-2013, 08:48 AM

Even tho its covered, I'd still use the inserts made for outside seat cushions. They provide stronger support in them than most foam by itself and they take the weather fine. If you want to add foam to it for a thicker/softer seat, you can do that. WalMart used to sell the cushion inserts in the craft area but don't know if they still do or not. I'd stay away from batting since, even tho it's covered, the area can still get wet from blowing rain and wet batting takes forever to dry. Even the foam collects water, but it's better than batting at getting dry.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:34 AM

I agree with Kate's recommendations. I'd also probably use some type of outdoor fabric, like 'sunbrella' or similar. Lots of online resources for that at reasonable prices.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:44 PM

There is a product out called "NuFoam" that would be perfect for this use. Depending on the size that you need, you can buy precut cushions of varying thicknesses, or you can buy the material by the yard and cut your own sizes. I know that WalMart had the precut squares in about a 1" thickness. The other products I saw at Hancock Fabrics. This product is mildew resistant, waterproof and perfect for outside cushions. I used 2" thick cushions when I reupholstered the seats on my dining room chairs. The old foam had shredded into non-existance. This NuFoam will not shred because it's like strings instead of rubber. You can probably google Nufoam and see what it's like.

Good luck with your project!