Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Looking for padding to put underneath wading pool on patio

Looking for padding to put underneath wading pool on patio

This may be the strangest request yet, but I have been googling and shopping to find a mat or sections that interlock, in addition to those kids puzzle pieces, that can accommodate a 10 foot round wading pool that we are going to put on the patio (Mr. Stitchnripper is attached to what he calls "grass" even though we have a big yard and place to put the pool on it). So it will go on the patio. My friend had hers on her patio and it is very hard to walk on or to sit on. We have been looking around for something. Have been to pool stores, have been to Lowe's, and have googled. It could be for a garage floor, gym, etc. but can't find the right sizes. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Alyce

You could always create a beach ... and put sand on top of the patio ... then the pool on top of that!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

That is a possibility - but it will be right outside the door and I think we would end up tracking it in.
    Alyce

What about those pieces they put down on concrete in garages? I have no idea what they call them, but i believe Home Deport and Lowes sells them. If you want to have a tarp, them check for tarps that go under tents.

Power Poster
    ​How about the 2X2 foot foam squares that fit together like puzzle pieces from Walmart? There is foam under carpet stuff that might work.
    Last edited by Tartan; 04-12-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    We got rubber-like interlocking tiles for our exercise room at a relatively inexpensive price from 2nd Wind Exercise. Try calling around to stores that sell new exercise equipment. These work great in our exercise room -- lots of padding and they wear very well. They were much more expensive at other places we checked; not sure why.

Many places that sell carpet have carpet they have removed from homes. It ends up in their dumpster.You'll have to get permission as some places are afraid of the liability if someone got hurt. My DH has put carpet down in our garden between the rows and around the edges. No weeds!! It would be perfect for what you want . Just cut to size and sweep it good and your good to go!!
    I quilt, therefore I am.

When we were kids, we would visit my aunt and uncle in Queens NY in the summer on our way to my grandparents' bungalow on Long Island. They had a pool set up in their driveway in the backyard, under the concord grape vines. The bottom of the pool always felt soft, not at all like it was on concrete. My uncle said it was because they always put it on top of my aunt's old boyfriend, Pete Moss (peat moss) so maybe that would work.
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Blog Entries
    I'd go for the padding they put under the carpet. you can cut it to fit, double it if you like. It's not very expensive so you could spring for new. That's what I'd do.
    Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of God!

I have some of the interlocking squares that I bought at Harbor Freight...very inexpensive. I put them in my granddaughters little cottage on the patio because she would trip on the lip of plastic in front of the door...after putting these in...no more tripping.
    They should work just great under the pool. I bought them originally for in front of my cutting station.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

If the kids interlocking squares are the right thickness, just turn them over so the print won't show.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    carpet padding or big bubblewrap old carpeting
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    I would stick with the foam puzzle pcs or an old blanket with 1 inch foam under it. the sand is a good idea except it will end up on the feet and in to the pool or tracked into the house. JoAnns sells wide sheets of foam. lil on the expensive side. depends on what you want to put into it. I tried a plastic tarp and it was too slippery!
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

A pool supply store will have padding that they put under above ground pools. if the actual size is too expensive maybe they will sell you the pieces they cut from other projects
    The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary.

We used to use foam slabs for under our pool. Another idea, a little more expensive likely, and a little firmer are called "stall mats" - they are meant to cushion a cement floor in a barn stall to make it easier on the horses to stand on. I have one under my treadmill.

Quote Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
    We used to use foam slabs for under our pool. Another idea, a little more expensive likely, and a little firmer are called "stall mats" - they are meant to cushion a cement floor in a barn stall to make it easier on the horses to stand on. I have one under my treadmill.
    Good thinking ... also for the cows!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    I got some at Harbor Freight.
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Tudey View Post
    When we were kids, we would visit my aunt and uncle in Queens NY in the summer on our way to my grandparents' bungalow on Long Island. They had a pool set up in their driveway in the backyard, under the concord grape vines. The bottom of the pool always felt soft, not at all like it was on concrete. My uncle said it was because they always put it on top of my aunt's old boyfriend, Pete Moss (peat moss) so maybe that would work.
    I got quite a chuckle about Pete Moss.

Thanks. You have given me lots of suggestions. Our first stop was a big pool supply store and they didn't have anything to put under pools that was thick enough. Will go to harbor freight as next stop but I do line the idea of carpet padding. I don't mind the pattern on the puzzle pieces either. Will let y'all know what finally worked.

Blog Entries
    Or that fake grass they use in stadiums.