Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: what would you do;

what would you do;

i purchased two items from etsy .. sent the payment to them but they never got it. it has been a month of emails back and forth. so she emailed and said they are going to send me the items anyway. for a pif kinda thing. so i emailed and said they didnt have to do this. seens that it was post office fault. i got them today. i feel guilty that i have items and they did not get there payment yet. i dont think they will.i thanked them for everything.. what would you do.
    ​DEBRA

Did you ''snail mail'' a check? A postal money order can be tracked..if by credit card or Paypal--these can also be tracked. I think I would pay for the items again if you're positive they never got payment, and wait to be reimbursed when the orig payment arrives. If it never does, a check never cashed will never debit your acct. The person sounds honest, so I think they will return your money whenever.
    I get so annoyed with my mail carrier--she drops our mail at wrong boxes all over the neighborhood, and we get other peoples' mail, as well. To forestall it being wrongly delivered again, we deliver ourselves. Sometimes it looks important. She is nearing retirement, and we look forward to it. LOL Numerous folks have complained to the office, but she's still out there!! So your mail could have gone to the wrong box and the recipient just trashed it.

Power Poster
    How did you send payment?

If you sent a check and it has not yet been cashed then I would definitely send another check. Things do get lost in the mail. This seems to be happening to me more often lately.

It was the seller's decision to send the items to you. Accept that and move on.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I would pay for the items if the check wasn't cashed. If it was Wal Mart or Sears I'd move on but a small seller I would pay even if they offered the items for free. It is so hard to make money for the small businesses
    Patski
    always learning

Power Poster
    If there was no evidence that payment had been received, I would send another payment.

I agree I would send another payment.

Blog Entries
    I would pay.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

It sure sounds like the seller is showing good faith by giving you the benefit of the doubt. If it's been a month of emails back and forth, then the seller is also responsive--a good trait. They will do anything not to get negative feedback, so myguessistheseller was willing to eat the cost. I would feel bad, too, and pay again. If the payment can be proven that it was received twice, I'm sure the seller will reimburse you. You have to make the decision that you can live with.

Maybe offer to pay 1/2 , that way your both feel better and she or you is not out the total amount

Blog Entries
    I'm in the minority here but why would they send you the items if they never received payment for them?

But if you sent a personal check and it wasn't cashed I would send another check or return the items to the seller.

Yes...pay again. You can cancel the first check if you are worried about it. If you sent cash in the mail... it was most likely stolen. I agree that small sellers can not absorb these kinds of losses.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yeah, I would have to make sure they were paid, I couldn't stand it I don't think. Especially if this is a small struggling business or even just a business who holds pr to a high standard. Surely you can find proof somehow if payment was received! You'll feel better and I'm all about that!

I would make sure they get paid. Unless you sent cash the payment method will show if it was cashed or accepted. You can place a stop payment on a check, money order or cashiers check if it hasn't cleared and reissue. If it was sent with Paypal or using your debit/credit card you can also determine if it was received and reissue. You need to initiate follow up with provider of payment form whether it is a bank, post office or other seller of money orders.

Power Poster
    My bank has a fairly hefty charge for doing a Stop Payment on a check.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have stopped payment on checks and money orders. They can both be checked. I sent our rent payment in this last month. If they don't have it by the 4th I tell them to let me know. They usually get it before the first. This is the first time landlord called me about it. Stopped payment immediately and drove the rent check over to them the same day. It still hasn't showed up. Our bank charges $20.00 for stoppayment. I've always paid that. Rarely happens and $20.00 is norm.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    If you sent a check and it has not yet been cashed then I would definitely send another check.
    I agree. I usually use PayPal.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I'd pay her again

Blog Entries
    I've had checks lost in the mail from here at work. After waiting 2-3 weeks I usually cancel the first check in my computer system and re-issue another. If/when the first check shows up it is returned to me. I think our bank charges $25 for a stop payment. I can dial into our bank and see if a check has cleared.
    TwandasMom

If the check hasn't cleared your bank then by all means pay again. I know stopping payment is expensive but I guess you'll have to. In the long run you will feel good about it & that is most important.

Power Poster
    What would you want the other person to do if you traded places?

The seller would know if the cost could be absorbed before sending for free. If they don't know then why are they in business?
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.