Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what are you reading now... >

what are you reading now...

what are you reading now...

Old 06-15-2011, 03:22 AM

I just finished reading Garth Stein's The Art of Racing in the Rain (story is told by Enzo the dog) and a great suspense by Joseph Finder called Vanished. Also recently finished and loved, Caught by Harlan Coben, House Rules by Jodi Picoult, and Lee Child "Reacher" book, Gone Tomorrow. I just started reading Child's Worth Dying For and I'm sure I'll love it as much as his others.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:03 AM

I have been on a series binge. Since Christmas I have read all of the Elm Creek books, the Benni Harper series including Spider Web, and am now in the middle of the #1 Ladies Dectective Agency group.

Last week I read a mystery by a local author that was centered around the limestone industry near where I grew up. I believe she was part of a family that owned a mill.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by dewie45
I have been on a series binge. Since Christmas I have read all of the Elm Creek books, the Benni Harper series including Spider Web, and am now in the middle of the #1 Ladies Dectective Agency group.

Last week I read a mystery by a local author that was centered around the limestone industry near where I grew up. I believe she was part of a family that owned a mill.
Oh, I really enjoyed Alexander McCall Smith's books, especially the #1 Ladies Detective Agency series.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:55 AM

I started the James Patterson books with #10 lol. Didnt realize it was a series. I get them on my Kindle and really enjoy them.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:27 AM

Surprised that author Monica Ferris, mystery writer has not been mentioned. Her main character owns and operates a knitting shop...Blackwork (was not familiar with that craft, interesting) Knitting Bones; Frammed in Lace; Embroidered truths; Hanging by a thread; A murderous yarn; Unravedled sleeve; Sins and needles.

And Maggie Sefton: Knit one, kill two; A deadly yarn; A killer stitch; Needled to death.

Laura Childs: the Teaberry strangler; gunpower green; dragonwell dead; chamolile morning. ( Main character runs a tea shop).

And Emily Brightwell: Mrs. Jefferies a victorian mystery series: Mrs. J & the feast of St Stephen;...holds the trump.

First in a new series by Kirsta Davis: the Diva runs out of thyme.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:03 PM

The book "ROOM" by Emma Donoghue is a very interesting read. If you start to lose interest in the first part of the book, keep going, because it gets much better.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by grandma sue
I always get my books from our library. Tulsa has a wonderful library system. I request them online and they e-mail me when it is ready. I have about 30 on request now (7 checked out). Problem is, they come in at the same time!!! It's been ages since I actually bought a book (except quilting books!) because it's so easy to get the book from the library. Even if I have to wait awhile.
We have that same thing here and it is a God send. I do buy Kindle books though. Can't help it . It's almost as bad as a fabric addiction.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:19 PM

Radical by David Platt...
Old 06-15-2011, 03:21 PM

Just about finished with Knit Two, the sequel to the Friday Night Knitting Club.... A book I didn't think I would enjoy so much, and that I can't help recommending to people....

The sequel is just as good.... I really like the way the author writes..
Old 06-15-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by lheartsl
has anyone read water for elephants? I heard it was good, and have it on hold at the library...

I will have to check out that sandra dallas.... Don't think I have read anything by her....
I got it for my Kindle and thought that it would be really good. A lot of people said that they liked it. I just got to the point where the bad language was too much. I read for pleasure and don't like books with cursing in it. I won't finish it. I am going to delete it. Could have been a good book otherwise. Some might say well that would be the way the carnival people talked, but I don't talk like that and don't have friends who talk like that, so why invite it into my home? Oh, well, this is just my humble opinion.