Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is your best Christmas memory from childhood? >

What is your best Christmas memory from childhood?

What is your best Christmas memory from childhood?

Old 12-15-2013, 05:12 AM

Popping corn and letting it get stale before stringing it for the Christmas tree each year. My mom always making it special every year for her 6 children. Christmas Eve at my Grandmother's, then Midnight mass and home for a quick night's sleep. One night I snuck down before everyone was up and looked at everything under the tree, it was so pretty, my mom made chaos look oh so pretty! I miss her. This year I am a grandma (gamma) for the first time, so hope to make Christmas special.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:22 AM

I have five siblings. Dad had left us and Mom was in the hospital. So it fell to me to care for the children. The last day of school I was so sad. We had no gifts nor a tree. Then my wonderful 8 year old brother came dragging home a pitiful, scrawny tree. When I asked where he got it, he said he had asked his teacher for it and she granted his request. It was without a doubt the dearest and most beautiful tree we ever had.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:22 PM

Compared to some of the stories I have read on this thread, I have been so very fortunate. We were never wealthy, but always had plenty of gifts from Santa. But my absolute favorite Christmas was the year I had a job and could finally afford to buy nice things for my family members. It was probably Christmas of 1971, and I can still tell you what I bought for my dad, mom and my boyfriend (now dh).
Old 12-15-2013, 02:59 PM

wow, reading this thread is awesome. Myself, some good memories, some not, of Christmas. My favorite memory is of my mom. She would always make sugar cookies, and fudge and divinity. She would put the icicles on the tree one by one carefully. She would make stars and wrap in aluminum. They would shine so pretty! I think that is why I like glittery things today. We had Christmas cards hanging in all the door ways. My dad didn't get to into Christmas, after my mom passed away at such a young age, he didn't care to celebrate Christmas it seemed to me. He would read the bible each morning though. One year, he surprised us with a tree and gifts. I miss him dearly, I tear up just posting this. I married a man who didn't have Christmas at their house, no good memories. I made sure our children had nice Christmas's, even though my dh grumbled. Now our children is grown and it is not the same. I still put my icicles on one by one and make those cut out sugar cookies. My tree is decorated with lots of shiny glittering decorations. Some things don't change.

Last edited by deedum; 12-15-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:54 PM

On Christmas Eve for several years, my brother & I would make a birthday card for Baby Jesus and after Mom & Dad went to bed, we'd bring it downstairs and put it in the manger. I loved doing that and still get a little misty-eyed when I think back of those years.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:19 AM

Finding the stocking bulging with things. They would be fruit sweets chocolate and an orange in the toe, and squeezing between mum and dad in their bed and tipping them all out. This was 19500's and rationing still happening and other people must have given up their rationing for this. The big Christmas tree at great gran,as house. Also no brother an only child. Wish I could go back.
Funny it was t the presents but love
Old 12-17-2013, 07:48 AM

When I was 5 my Mom made me a bunch of doll clothes and I got a new doll, Calico Kitty. I played with the clothes and my daughter did and now our DGD plays with them. They are Double knit and will last for a very long time! I also got a record player and a Lorreta Lynn album. I was up town! LOL
Old 12-17-2013, 08:15 AM

My red & white striped flannel "granny gown" that my little sister and I got for Christmas. I was in the second grade and I had the FLU! the picture of my sister and I modeling our new jammies was pitiful! She is smiling and I look half-dead! it is a black and white photo. Love to look at childhood photos!

sandy
Old 12-17-2013, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend View Post
Nancy, yours made me laugh. Did you "wear" them on your fingers? We did!
Black olives always taste better if you wear them first! And a whole can? Heaven!

The Christmas I remember most was when I was five. I was in the hospital because of an intestinal blockage that had required surgery. On Christmas morning, one of the nuns took me to a room decorated for Christmas. I got a baby doll, and best of all, a VERY small sip of Dr. Pepper--the first good tasting thing I had had for quite a while! Can't stand the taste of it now, but that day it was like the nectar of the gods!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:43 AM

I thought you were REQUIRED to wear black olives on your fingers? My brother STILL pouts that I can wear olives, he has huge hands and can't even dream of it. Ha, I've got the BEST revenge for years and years of being called Shrimp by him. Nephew and I are plotting to put olives on Little Miss's fingers just to get my brother's goat. SIL finds it hilarious, but she doesn't like olives.