Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54

Thread: What are your plans for Easter?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,084
    I always wonder how people do different holidays. So how do you do Easter?
    Easter is the only holiday that I make my parents cook for all of us. We do all other holidays so I had decided a few years back they could do Easter. Gives them something to get ready for. They hide eggs all over the yard for the kids. My youngest is still able to go to the local eggs hunt but my oldest isn't. Even though he is a teenager he is mentally about kindergarten so he doesn't understand why he can't look for eggs at the local egg hunt. So we make our own. :) Then he doesn't have to feel bad not getting to have fun with the other kids. And that is mostly our Easter, what is yours??? :) thanks for sharing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member sunflower126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    960
    Up until 4 years ago when we bought a larger house mom did Easter and Thanksgiving. However she is 91 now and lives in a small townhouse and it just became too much for her. I will have 14. I have a very small family on my side. My sis and her husband, my mom, my daughter and her family and my niece and nephew and their children. Will have one more at Thanksgiving this year-God willing. She has had 2 misses and so far this one seems like it will go to term. We are praying.

    On Sat I will have an egg hunt for the 4 youngest of the grandchildren with my daughter and son. Son does all holidays with his wife's family. I label each bag with their names. I put little things like earrings and bracelets etc in the 3 girls and boy toys like Star War people in the boys. Small amounts of candy. They have a good time. I made backpack purses for the girls and making a duffle for the boy. Will post those soon.

    May everyone has a blessed Easter.

  3. #3
    Super Member newquilter10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Illinois/Texas
    Posts
    1,177
    Blog Entries
    1
    Not just sure how the whole day will go but we are working our way home from the Rio Grande Valley, where we spend the winter. We will be stopping by my brothers, Mom is staying there. We will spend Easter with him, his family and Mom. Then we will head home on the 29th and will have a late celebration with our son and his family.

    Mom had bladder cancer and had her bladder removed and I want to see how she is doing. My brother that lives in Texas and I went back home to be with her for awhile.

  4. #4
    Super Member frauhahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chelsea, MI
    Posts
    2,249
    After church, I will make breakfast for several cousins, friends and dad. We'll have pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage and champagne. The rest of the day will be pretty quiet (I hope!)

  5. #5
    Super Member SuziC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    3,711
    Usually I do Easter dinner but this time my DinL is having the Easter Egg Hunt and she is cooking dinner!! I get to just enjoy the day and all the Gkids! Then come home to some much needed Quiet!

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,084
    I love the idea of breakfast. Maybe we will have to try that too. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by frauhahn
    After church, I will make breakfast for several cousins, friends and dad. We'll have pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage and champagne. The rest of the day will be pretty quiet (I hope!)

  7. #7
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,472
    Blog Entries
    1
    I only have one brother left on my side of the family. He and his family are in Michigan so I don't see them often. But I have 4 kids. They decided a few years ago that my having all the holidays was too much so they each took one. I do Christmas. My daughter does Thanksgiving, my oldest son and DDIL do 4th of July (a big party to celebrate all the July birthdays). My middle son and DIL do Easter; except this year they are going to Chincoteague to be with her family. So I am doing Easter. My youngest son is single and we can't convince him to take a holiday. Since the youngest GKs won't be here I am not doing the Easter Egg Hunt thing. The other GKs are 13-19. The 19 year old is still at college. I bought paper plates and plastic utensils, a spiral sliced boneless ham and will make a very casual easy dinner. The only Easter candy I bought is Marshmallow Peeps, who doesn't like those?!?!?

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,084
    I love peeps :)

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,960
    Blog Entries
    2
    This year we will go to church and then I have to work 12- 9 that day. Something just isn't right about that. But, if you need fabric from WM that day - come see me.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,084
    If I was in your state I would definitely stop in. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    This year we will go to church and then I have to work 12- 9 that day. Something just isn't right about that. But, if you need fabric from WM that day - come see me.

  11. #11
    Super Member Izaquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southern IL
    Posts
    1,285
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have no idea what we are doing! After 9 yrs of holding my tongue, I finally told my son's wife what I felt (she's not DIL anymore). We've had Easter Egg hunts here in our small neighborhood where all the kids participate but we haven't heard a word about it this yr. DS was here yesterday (thought it was for a visit but was to pick up some left behind goods from when they moved)& he never said one word about Easter. He did mention 3-4 times that today is her birthday but when we gave her a gift card for Christmas she refused it so he spent it. I have half a notion for DH, myself & DS#2 to meet for dinner & not say a word. This has been going on now for 9 months & I'm tired of playing their little games. She has limited us to seeing our grandkids 'to once a month & that is when she says we can see them" She's punishing the kids & she doesn't realize it with her stupid little air head games she plays. As you can probably tell I'm just a little irritated with them but how long can one play the games that this girl plays? I'm guessing I will go ahead & make a ham & fixings & have what we normally do but it's so hard when you don't know how many are coming. Do I make Easter baskets for them & them not show up? I don't know what to do. Maybe if I do nothing it will shock all of them back to reality???? Here it is a week before & I haven't heard anything for sure from either of them but I will get a call around Thurs. wanting to know what is for dinner! I guess boys are so much different than girls because I talked to my Mom on the phone almost every day, drove 50 miles one way to see her atleast once every 2 wks & spent every holiday & moment I could with her. We had the June & Ward Clever family until this girl came into the picture & now things seem like they have been just tossed up in the air. LOL Gone to hell in a hand basket as my G'ma would say. So, I sit, I wait & I will scurry to make it a happy Easter if necessary. But one of these days.....(as Archie Bunker would say!)

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,084
    lol. Seems like every family has to have one of those. Sorry, I feel your pain :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Izaquilter
    I have no idea what we are doing! After 9 yrs of holding my tongue, I finally told my son's wife what I felt (she's not DIL anymore). We've had Easter Egg hunts here in our small neighborhood where all the kids participate but we haven't heard a word about it this yr. DS was here yesterday (thought it was for a visit but was to pick up some left behind goods from when they moved)& he never said one word about Easter. He did mention 3-4 times that today is her birthday but when we gave her a gift card for Christmas she refused it so he spent it. I have half a notion for DH, myself & DS#2 to meet for dinner & not say a word. This has been going on now for 9 months & I'm tired of playing their little games. She has limited us to seeing our grandkids 'to once a month & that is when she says we can see them" She's punishing the kids & she doesn't realize it with her stupid little air head games she plays. As you can probably tell I'm just a little irritated with them but how long can one play the games that this girl plays? I'm guessing I will go ahead & make a ham & fixings & have what we normally do but it's so hard when you don't know how many are coming. Do I make Easter baskets for them & them not show up? I don't know what to do. Maybe if I do nothing it will shock all of them back to reality???? Here it is a week before & I haven't heard anything for sure from either of them but I will get a call around Thurs. wanting to know what is for dinner! I guess boys are so much different than girls because I talked to my Mom on the phone almost every day, drove 50 miles one way to see her atleast once every 2 wks & spent every holiday & moment I could with her. We had the June & Ward Clever family until this girl came into the picture & now things seem like they have been just tossed up in the air. LOL Gone to hell in a hand basket as my G'ma would say. So, I sit, I wait & I will scurry to make it a happy Easter if necessary. But one of these days.....(as Archie Bunker would say!)

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    523
    Easter is my holiday. I have three sisters and we all have our holiday to have the family over. So it's church in the morning and then a full day of cooking, baking, dying Easter eggs and lots of family fun. Fortunately we are a close family and all of us get along great. I feel for those who find the holidays stressful. For us, it's just another great reason to get together and make memories. :D

  14. #14
    Senior Member cinnya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lawton, Oklahoma by way of Germany
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    This year we will go to church and then I have to work 12- 9 that day. Something just isn't right about that. But, if you need fabric from WM that day - come see me.
    You are not alone.I will be on nightshift(12hrs), so that means I will be sleeping all day. :x :x

  15. #15
    Super Member Izaquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southern IL
    Posts
    1,285
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneG
    Easter is my holiday. I have three sisters and we all have our holiday to have the family over. So it's church in the morning and then a full day of cooking, baking, dying Easter eggs and lots of family fun. Fortunately we are a close family and all of us get along great. I feel for those who find the holidays stressful. For us, it's just another great reason to get together and make memories. :D
    "Fortunately we are a close family" We were too until she came along! :thumbdown:

  16. #16
    Senior Member quilter1943's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Edgewater, FL
    Posts
    925
    DH works 6 AM to 1 PM at golf course and we're going to eat out (at our little home away from home restaurant) after he gets off work. I'll probably go to early church or sunrise service. Unfortunately there doesn't seem any kind of holiday from retail or food services anymore.

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,275
    When the grand kids were small we hid the eggs in the yard and I made the dinner for every one (we had the largest house) plus DH was a very pickey eater so it was easier for me to do all of the holidays at our house

  18. #18
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    Saturday will be our dinner and get together, too many have time constraints on Sunday.
    I am cooking dinner and we will hide eggs for the kids. It will be chaos and mayhem, but I love it!! After the meal I orchestrate the clean up with everyone pitching in. :D:D:D
    We are also celebrating DB#2's birthday on Saturday.

    Sunday I am going to a dinner with DD#1 to a friends home. I am looking forward to this too, as they are like an extended family :D

  19. #19
    Senior Member denise d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    from Fl currently in Indiana
    Posts
    399
    We will have big Good Friday dinner after sunset.

    Saturday, my MIL and her brother and his wife will be in town. We will do some home made pizzas and dye Easter eggs.

    Sunday will be egg finding festivities and brunch. If we make it to dinner, I will probably just grill up lamb chops with an simple salad and lots of wine.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    WISCONSIN
    Posts
    387
    Working. People don't stop getting sick on holidays.

  21. #21
    Super Member sunflower126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by Izaquilter
    I have no idea what we are doing! After 9 yrs of holding my tongue, I finally told my son's wife what I felt (she's not DIL anymore). We've had Easter Egg hunts here in our small neighborhood where all the kids participate but we haven't heard a word about it this yr. DS was here yesterday (thought it was for a visit but was to pick up some left behind goods from when they moved)& he never said one word about Easter. He did mention 3-4 times that today is her birthday but when we gave her a gift card for Christmas she refused it so he spent it. I have half a notion for DH, myself & DS#2 to meet for dinner & not say a word. This has been going on now for 9 months & I'm tired of playing their little games. She has limited us to seeing our grandkids 'to once a month & that is when she says we can see them" She's punishing the kids & she doesn't realize it with her stupid little air head games she plays. As you can probably tell I'm just a little irritated with them but how long can one play the games that this girl plays? I'm guessing I will go ahead & make a ham & fixings & have what we normally do but it's so hard when you don't know how many are coming. Do I make Easter baskets for them & them not show up? I don't know what to do. Maybe if I do nothing it will shock all of them back to reality???? Here it is a week before & I haven't heard anything for sure from either of them but I will get a call around Thurs. wanting to know what is for dinner! I guess boys are so much different than girls because I talked to my Mom on the phone almost every day, drove 50 miles one way to see her atleast once every 2 wks & spent every holiday & moment I could with her. We had the June & Ward Clever family until this girl came into the picture & now things seem like they have been just tossed up in the air. LOL Gone to hell in a hand basket as my G'ma would say. So, I sit, I wait & I will scurry to make it a happy Easter if necessary. But one of these days.....(as Archie Bunker would say!)
    I can also feel your pain. Sounds a lot like our family. Son and wife have to spend every single holiday with her family. My son in law used to call us the Brady Bunch because we were all very close and did a lot of family stuff. Now that hson has married this women (his second marriage) we never see or talk to him. When you do talk to him you feel like you are bothering him. We just feel bad because we don't know our 2 granddaughters like we do the other 3 gk. I just thank God that I able close to my daughter and her family and the grandson from our son's first marriage (whom son refuses to see). That's another story. Hope you still have a good Easter.

  22. #22
    Super Member sewingsuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,005
    My daughter is having Easter and my Granddaughter and great grandson and her DH are coming and they are 9hr drive. I have only seen my Great Grandson once last easter and he was 7 months. He walks now and has a mouth full of teeth. I bought so much stuff for his basket that i could not find a big enough one. So I bought a launder basket and dcorated that. Can't wait

  23. #23
    Junior Member Aylahopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    155
    We are going to my DIL's on Friday when I'm done work (everyone else is off and they are waiting on me :-( ) for Fish and Chips. On Sunday to my parents for Pot Luck. Almost sure my one brother and family won't be there and not sure if my "New" brother and family will be. Wish we were all going to be there but...

    If wishes were horse's then beggars would ride...maybe next year. My brother's haven't met yet!

  24. #24
    Super Member mjsylvstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Spring Lake, NJ
    Posts
    2,450
    Hubby and I were going to go to NC to celebrate GD's purchasing her first home and spend a few days with her.

    But the bank and all the bureaucrats are holding the progress up to the point, her closing is sometime in the future but when, we don't know......

    so until we hear, we will remain snowbirds in Florida and wait for word from her to "come on up"......

    Happy Easter all.........MaryJane

  25. #25
    Senior Member alapetitechaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    481
    We have lots of family drama too; but I really try to down play it as much as possible. My oldest son is in Afghanistan and my younger son is a restaurant manager and will be working Easter sunday. I sispect DH and I will enjob a quiet day...hopefully I will have a sewing project in process!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.