Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's the best time for your kids to do homework? >

What's the best time for your kids to do homework?

What's the best time for your kids to do homework?

Old 09-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

When my kids were old enough to have homework I figured they were old enough to get it done before the next day on their own. If they didn't, they learned it had consequences they had to handle. Their homework was their work. I was available to help but I did not hover and say keep going, get back to work, you didn't do it right, etc. Both are college graduates so I don't feel like I hindered them by not worrying if their homework was done or not. LOL
Old 09-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

Home work at age 7. What are we doing to our kids?? That said, I like zozee's routine.

Another ? to ponder, just how hard are we pushing our kids these days?
peace
Old 09-05-2013, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
When my kids were old enough to have homework I figured they were old enough to get it done before the next day on their own. If they didn't, they learned it had consequences they had to handle. Their homework was their work. I was available to help but I did not hover and say keep going, get back to work, you didn't do it right, etc. Both are college graduates so I don't feel like I hindered them by not worrying if their homework was done or not. LOL
This was my approach also.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

I say snack and then get on the homework!
Old 09-06-2013, 04:44 AM

As a teacher of 31 years, plus the added years and experience of raising two sons, my recommendation is to give kids a break from school. They need a "brain break" and it helps if there's movement involved (as in exercise, not fingers on a keyboard). However, they should get homework done as early as possible after that short break. Then they have the rest of the evening for whatever they or their family want to do.
7 is not too young for homework, as a review of a day's learning. Also, it should be 10 minutes per grade level (so K=no homework, 1st grade= 10 minutes & etc.). My 2nd grade students were expected to read 20 minutes (not necessarily all at once), and also work on spelling. The parents had to sign off on the reading each night. Those who did improved. Parent interest is key. It just depends on what you want for your kids.

Last edited by coopah; 09-06-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:00 AM

I had to work so the kid had to go to afterschool care until I got off work. I tried he'll do it at the afterschool care, but the homework was not getting done. When we got home, he would help me in the kitchen and we would touch on the day. After dinner while I was cleaning the kitchen he would do his homework at the kitchen table. No tv until homework is done. (good shows started at 8 so he got it done so not to miss his shows)
Old 09-06-2013, 05:23 AM

My daughter and 13 year old granddaughter live with us while my daughter is getting her BSN. After my experiments with the homework (in her room after school, in her room after supper, in the living room, etc.) we have found the best solution is at the dining room table right after school when she gets home (after cross country practice). That way when she starts to get distracted, I am right there to get her back on track. She is very smart and gets all A's with an occasional B, but when it comes to homework, she is a huge procrastinator. I just want it done and out of the way. Left to her own devices, she once spent 7 hours doing homework, from 4:00 to 11:00. That's when I laid down the law! She now hurries to get it done and loves having the rest of the evening free. I push to get her to bed by 9 or 9:30, but if she makes it by 10:00, I'm happy!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:49 AM

When my girls were little and they came home about 3:45, they had a snack, then about 30 minutes to play and run around outside regardless of the weather. This gave them a chance to go out, check on their pets, run some of that pent up energy off and just look around and settle down. After that, I would sit them at the kitchen table while I cooked dinner and they did their homework. This arrangement made me available for questions but allowed me to get a jump on dinner. Worked well until they were in high school.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:16 AM

I always had my DS come home and have a quick snack and then I'd sit with him at the table while he worked on his homework. We'd spend hours there!!! He had two things going against him - ADHD and not understanding/caring why he had to learn the stuff he was asked to learn. Once I got him set up with an IEP at school, that helped. We were able to come up with alternative ways of learning. We'd play red light/green light in the backyard while he spelled out loud, we'd walk the neighborhood and I'd point things out that he'd have to add together. Before becoming a parent, I didn't realize that I'd be going to school all over again!
Old 09-06-2013, 04:29 PM

I agree with zozee. An hour downtime, then get on it. The sooner it is started, the sooner it is done