Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's the best time for your kids to do homework? >

What's the best time for your kids to do homework?

What's the best time for your kids to do homework?

Old 09-06-2013, 05:08 PM

i agree with you. Parents interest is key to a kids success in school. In second grade my youngest had to prepare a 10 minute report with visual aids and present it to the class. The kids chose the subject, not the teacher, so the kids were interested in the report even if they hated the research, etc. By 4th grade the kids in her class were 'pros' at it, had learned to manage their time to get it done and were already composed public speakers.

I was amazed at how she and her classmates accepted doing projects like that at 7 years old. When I went to school we didn't do any oral reports until about 6th grade - just in time for us to be totally self-conscious of ourselves and our work.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:13 AM

Yes, Cathyvv, it's amazing what 2nd graders can do if no one tells them they can't! My students did a report on a rain forest animal that they chose. We worked together on a group animal report and each step of the way was modeled and recorded so there wasn't any question of how to go about the process. Public speaking is an important, but often overlooked skill these days. A lot of learning went on during those reports. If a child had a learning disability, s/he had extra help. No one was allowed to fail or not do a report. And the research counted toward their nightly reading minutes. You brought back some good memories. Sorry to go on so long.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

Parents interest does not mean do it for the child or lessen the consequences of the child not doing what is expected of him. I seen too many of my friends when their children had homework and had to constantly stay on them to get it done, it caused stress and angry words. They actually dreaded the kids coming home from school with homework. Homework is the child's responsibility. If the parent sees the child can't handle the homework then it's time to meet with the teacher and find out if the child is not comprehending or just lazy. No way would I set and watch my child do homework. I would check the work, praise for good work and encourage to do better if not up to standard.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:57 PM

When my boys were little they did homework at the kitchen table right after school. They could have a snack and drink while they worked. We tried all sorts of ways and this worked the best for them. If they took a break after school (either a short one, or a long one and didn't start homework until after dinner) they were just so 'over' school work that it was next to impossible for them to focus and complete the work.