Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's going on with my machine? >

What's going on with my machine?

What's going on with my machine?

Old 02-08-2017, 02:34 PM

Default What's going on with my machine?

Every once in a while, my machine makes a slight noise and produces a small "bird's nest" on the underside of my sewing. The difference between this and what I understand (admittedly a little vague) to be a usual bird's nest is that, in my case, the seam is sewn perfectly and the "nest" seems to be made with an extra thread that came from somewhere. I can tease the "nest" out with tweezers and the seam remains.

I routinely clean out the bobbin case and surrounding area with a small brush, so there shouldn't be anything extra to be incorporated in the seam, but it is coming from somewhere.

Anyone else have a similar situation occur? Any ideas as to the cause?
Old 02-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

Do you use spools or cones of thread? Cones often need a net over them to prevent the thread from coming too fast, causing a nest. Do you have an automatic thread cutter? Are you using prewound bobbins? with sides or without? If it has no sides, and the supply gets low, the bobbin can move around and cause a clicking sound.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:59 AM

My initial thought was - are you holding your thread tails? I'll have that happen in that situation. Or if a bit of thread gets stuck somewhere.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:26 AM

Just saw this on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYyYCul8j0k Maybe it will help someone. Is your thread cone or spool spinning and doubling up the thread before it comes into the machine(because of twisting)? If I have a certain thread on my machine, it will do that, but I don't remember the name of it right now. Like QuiltnNan said, you might need to use nets on your spools or cones.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:51 AM

I never thought about the presser foot positon causing a problem. THANK YOU
Old 02-10-2017, 12:57 PM

I have a 25 year old machine. What I have found that stops this is to draw up the bobbin thread before I begin to sew. Also, if my bobbins aren't wound perfect this causes nesting too. And the only other thing that might cause this is if there is thread behind the bobbin cage. Don't forget you may need a drop of oil to get out the dust.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
Do you use spools or cones of thread? Cones often need a net over them to prevent the thread from coming too fast, causing a nest. Do you have an automatic thread cutter? Are you using prewound bobbins? with sides or without? If it has no sides, and the supply gets low, the bobbin can move around and cause a clicking sound.
That's a good point, Nan. I'd forgotten about the spool pin problems. My machine came with a horizontal spool pin. I had a lot of problems with some threads and so purchased the optional vertical spool pin. I mostly use it because it solves a lot of thread problems for me.