Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what's a good remedy for sore throat/cold

vinegar is amazing, it works great! so does garlic :) i've never rubbed it on my feet but a clove of raw garlic eaten with a slice of un-buttered bread and washed down with some water if he can stand it does work great! have to try the feet thing sometime! love vicks too, works great for anything...try a little of all the replies you have gotten and it's sure to cure anything he may ever get in the future also! :) hope he feels better soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by damaquilts
    Braggs Apple cider vinegar, honey and water.
    1 T each to cup of hot water. Has worked everytime in my family for 3 generations.

Blog Entries
    Gargle with warm salt water.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrwfy
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    Heat some water, squeeze lemon juice into it, add spoonful of honey.....my Mom's all time sure soother...not a cure, but sure makes the throat feel better.
    Add a shot of whiskey and you got a hot toddy. Makes everything feel better and helps you sleep good too. ;-)

-M
    I was going to say the same thing.
    For a man you have to bribe them to take medicine and Whiskey or Brandy will always do the trick in my experience :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    I take Nyquil pills...but only if I can sleep. Dh like Alka-Seltzer Plus...same thing, knocks him out.

Gargle Listerine and drink lemon and honey and ginger tea.

Blog Entries
    Heat some water, squeeze lemon juice into it, add spoonful of honey.....my Mom's all time sure soother...not a cure, but sure makes the throat feel better.
    Add a shot of whiskey and you got a hot toddy. Makes everything feel better and helps you sleep good too. ;-)

-M
    My husband swears by the whiskey.

-M
    Along the same lines, but more for the cough...
    my Portuguese grandmother was the neighborhood "healer" and she would pour a bottle of honey into a small sauce pan, add the juice of one lemon and heat while stirring. To that she would add whisky..until mixture was the consistency of syrup.
    Supposedly the honey was soothing, the lemon juice provided Vit C and the whisky dilated blood vessels.
    We would add the added instruction...drink enough of it and you really won't be bothered by the cold~! LOL. It does work in moderation of course!

:thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Hosta
    Vicks on the feet and clean white socks
    Yes....great for coughs I hear. No matter....Vicks is good.
    Love the smell.

A good soother is a mixture of vinegar and honey, sipped slowly.

Blog Entries
    All of the above, except not to put Vicks in the nostrils... just under the nose. Hope you feel better soon.

Blog Entries
    Here, Here!!

-M

hot whiskey sling......warm water, whiskey, honey and lemon....right before you go to bed. If it doesn't work the first time, try it again the next night! LOL!

i heard honey helps

I have a great sore throat remedy---it's not the best tasting, but it works! You put up to 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and gargle, then swallow it----Do this twice every couple of hours. It will even kill strep---or so the book claimed. All I know is that it knocked my sore throat right out. Didn't taste THAT bad---all it needed was sugar!
    :thumbup:

warm salt water gargles. guafenisen (generic mucinex). sinus wash (Ocean is the brand I use but any buffered saline solution from that section of the store is fine). If I catch the symptoms soon enough I use Zicam to help get better quicker and have less severe version of the cold.

Shot of Blackberry Brandy, hot water and honey.Put hot water bottle on chest, cover up good. Always helps me to over chest cold fast.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sash
    thanks everyone. well, he's already gone to bed so will wait til tomorrow. i thought i remembered the one re: vicks so i had already bought some, but had forgotten about it. will make him try it tomorrow; all are good ideas. he's pretty hard headed too (lol), so might be hard to get him to do any of this. went to the grocery store today. wish i had bought some honey. oh well.
    Offer him a foot rub, and use the Vick's as you finish. Got one of those too!

This is really an old new england cure for most anything...
    Cook a bunch of cut up or tiny carrots just in water, when they are done, serve a cupful of warm carrot broth. You can add what you please to make it taste better if you like, but it is pleasant just plain....
    Nobody knows why, but there is something magic in the carrot broth....JP

1000 mg of vitamin C. Every hour, on the hour. Start next time you feel a cold coming on and it'll never have a chance to take hold. And, no, you can't overdose on C. I've been doing this for years! I get a cold maybe 3 times a DECADE!

Gargle with liquid benadryl[children's].This coats and deadens your throat.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    hot water or tea with honey, lemon and crushed star anise!
    learned that from some amish folks up in MI

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sash
    I need a good remedy for a sore throat and cold. Got any ideas. It's not for me; I can usually cope, but you know, it's the dh (hate for him to get sick and run down). Thanks.
    Go to the drug store or Wal Mart and purchase some zinc lozanges and take them , don't taste really good, but let it dissolve in your mouth. Take a couple upon the first sign of a sore throat. - usually stops it. Also hot tea, honey and lemon juice help out a lot. An old remedy is a good ole hot toddy made with whiskey, honey and lemon juice. Take it before bedtime, not when going to drive or to work. This will really make one sweat and I guess it works because a lot of old timers used it when I was growing up. I'm very very lucky I have only had a few colds in my life time maybe 3 or 4. I never had a cold until DH and I married, he had one and then I got it. I still don't get them, and seldom ever a sore throat. I'm 66 and I know hard for folks to believe this, but I am hardly sick, had the flu once after taking shot, never again, flu or shot. I do suffer with allergies and migraines so I don't know what's worse.

When my husband was sick recently he asked me to make my 'special' tea. It seems to help the sore throat. I'm attaching the recipe.

Hot Spiced Tea

Banned
    Blog Entries
    another thing to take is zinc..and up to 1,000mg of vitamin C day for the first 3 days...

however, if you have a sore throat, and no sinus drainage, no cough, no fever...you might have acid reflux instead!

Quote Originally Posted by jpthequilter
    This is really an old new england cure for most anything...
    Cook a bunch of cut up or tiny carrots just in water, when they are done, serve a cupful of warm carrot broth. You can add what you please to make it taste better if you like, but it is pleasant just plain....
    Nobody knows why, but there is something magic in the carrot broth....JP
    Interesting! Will have to jot that one down so I remember it.
    Beta carotine (? sp) maybe... will have to try to research it.
    (ie = ask a "know it all" classmate...so far he seems to have an answer for everything... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast