Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you? >

What's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?

What's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?

Old 07-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Banned

I make quilts for those that have lost a loved one in the line of duty. It is a hard job but with a back injury it allows me to feel like I can give back. A women heard of my non-profit and gave me 3 gigantic boxes of quilting stuff. Since I am disabled I am not able to work so without work no extra money I rely on donations. These 3 boxes held everything I have ever wanted or needed. God provieded everything I needed that day even down to 6 36x60 flag fabric panels. I turned those into the most beautiful quilts ever. I folded the quilt into a triangle and gave them away. The people that received the quilts were floored. One family hung it in the entryway to remind them of their son. So by her gift I was able to help several and reminded that even though I may not be able to afford much God will provide.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:24 AM

Almost 10 years ago, I lost my sister, my father, & my brother-in-law - all within 18 months. My sister had custody of her then 13 & 17 yr. old grandchildren when she lost her battle with colon cancer, so things were extremely difficult with these teenagers. My mother had long since passed, so my father had a significant other who had adult children. I lived over 300 miles away from Pittsburgh, PA - north of Philadelphia & dealing with the nieces, lawyers, etc. was overwhelming. My sister had her 6 bedroom house & 2 storage facilities filled with quilt books, fabric, etc. as she had been hoping to open her own quilt shop.

The kindness of an old boyfriend from my childhood Pgh. home town & his very tolerant wife will never be forgotten as they helped me with so much - especially the court hearings. And now with Skype, we are maintaining a great friendship.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:55 AM

I became suddenly and seriously ill back in 2004, and ended up in the hospital on and off for 4 months, finally having to have major surgery. (I almost didn't make it.) We had no insurance "thanks" to DH's ex-employer, and DH was out of work through no fault of his own (long, long story). The medical bills were staggering. We tried our best, even going without groceries, but there was just no way to pay them all. We had perfect credit until then, but we finally had to file bankruptcy that December, just a few days before Christmas. :cry:

So many people helped us get back on our feet. It was amazing, and I'm so thankful. Our neighbor (an older gentleman who can't get around all that well) mowed our grass while I was in the hospital. Family members gave us a bit of cash and boxes of groceries. An online friend even bought me some clothes (I'd lost a bunch of weight, and the only things I had that would halfway fit were literally in rags). Several folks helped us with Christmas gifts for our families. People brought meals to DH when I was in the hospital (he wouldn't leave my side).

And 6 people -- total strangers -- each donated a pint of blood, without which I wouldn't be here today.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:01 AM

I had a horrendous childhood. Too much to put here. But an Army friend of one of my brothers noticed and married me and got me out of there after 17 years of Hell. We're no longer together but I'm still grateful for what he did.
Today I would just run off with him and that would have made more sense since we didn't love each other, but back then people got married.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:37 AM

nice thread,,, I would have to say the nicest thing, recently was, when I was hurt in iraq, I did not have any money on me, nor did I have my cell phone, ( being medevaced, did not have time, or the thought to grab any,,,lol) so this nurse that was working asked me if there was anyone I would like to be called. I said if I may, can I please cal my husband.. she gave me her cell phone and I was able to keep it with me for almost the whole day, and wa able to call and check in with my husband as well as my mother. Instead of the hospital caling them and scaring them to death. I could call them and tell them a little of what was going on, and not make it seem so life threatening,,,,
Old 07-20-2010, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Oh Eddie, what a wonderful thread!
I got broadsided several years ago. I was unhurt but shaken up of course. A couple of days later one of my sons sent me a package of goodies. Inside the box was a copy of his favorite book from childhood "Goodnight Moon". He inscribed it telling me how much that book soothed him when he was little and hoped it did the same for me..
I cried and cried and put it on my nightstand, where it stays.( and still gets read)
Oh MY! My daughter just called to tell me about Chloe our granddaughter. Goodnight Moon is her favorite book..she is two years old.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

Oh, I just love this thread! What a great way to wake up! I have to think hard, so many people have done nice things for me, but the NICEST, hmmmmm..........
Old 07-20-2010, 07:13 AM

WOW!!!! When we think we have it tough, we read these stories and realize ........well....wow! Bless you all!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:18 AM

wow - I LOVE this thread - brings back a ton of memories of those who have been so kind.
I have two stepdaughters whose mom has constantly been an instigator in our home. It seemed, early on, that no matter what I did there was always something she didn't like. I was so afraid it'd transfer to the girls' feelings towards me... until one Christmas when the youngest knew I was out of hot gun glue sticks... she heard me say how nice it'd be to get some finally and unbeknownst to me at the time she secretly went to a good friend of mine and gave her money to buy me glue sticks for my birthday (which is 1/3)I remembered her telling me, "Now, don't buy any glue sticks." Should've been my clue. It was the best gift I ever got...
Then when I was pregnant with our youngest and we were SO POOR - oh my - it was horrible - but two of my best friends were so kind to me that year... it was great... too much to tell here - I'll just never forget it.
I,too, had a not so great childhood and had a friend who always had me over to her house - just got back in touch with her via facebook. It's been great getting reacquainted.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:43 AM

Many years ago , my MOm was visiting her brother in Oregon. She became very ill, was admitted to the hospital and needed operated on. She wasn't expected to live.I was in KY.my sisters were in IL. They were all flying out and I wanted so badly to go too, but we didnt have the money for a plane ticket. My neighbor called the airport, and using her charge card, got tickets for me the next day. Mom lived, but was in the hospaital for a long time. THat first week, my sisters and I never left the hospital except to sleep, or grab a fast meal. Toward the end of the week, the very nice nurse on Mom's case took us all to her lovely home for a wonderful home-cooked meal, gave us each a bag of just picked Bing cheries and huge strawberries. She was so kind to us, made us take our mind off our worry for a few hours. We all needed that break so badly, more than we knew, but she knew. My sisters left to go home after a week, but I stayed on, and that sweet lady would bring me sandwiches she made and fruit everyday. Maybe it doesnt sound like such a big deal, but while I had a place to stay for free( with a cousin) I had no money for eating out, and cousin ate while I was gone. To me it was really an act of great kindness.