Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you? >

What's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?

What's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 AM

What a wonderful thread Eddie!!! Thank you for starting this. Reading all these has brought so many different occasions in my life where God has richly blessed me and my family though the people around me. I don't know if I can come up with one "best" story.
My DH was in the Navy for 20 years and we did a lot of moving. This particular move was and in-town move into base housing. As the date approached my husband was sent off flying overseas and it left me with the 4 kids and having to get the move going. We had only been in town 2 mos and didn't know hardly anyone. We had attended a wonderful church and got so know some folks pretty fast. I had one lady come and watch the kids all day (from 8-6) she fed them and played with them (ages 3-10) and kept them from under my feet. The movers messed up and it took forever to get things boxed and on the truck. We got over to housing and (this was April 15) there were only 3 guys unloading all our furniture into the house. The driver of the truck had a tax appointment so they basically dumped everything into the parking lot and he left. One of the guys was very clumsy and dropped a few things (including some lamps that broke) so the remaining guy kicked him out of there. It was approaching 9 and dark and most of my furniture was still in the parking lot, we hadn't had dinner and the kids were tired and I couldn't leave to get food. I called the home of one of the people I had recently met that I knew was hosting a Bible Study that night. I cried into the phone about what was going on and asked for prayer. About 30 min later I had 8 people show up at my door with dinner and they moved our beds into the house and got them set up for the children and we were able to get them to bed by about 10:15 then they all stayed until about midnight to get everything into the house. What a God send!!!!! I hardly knew any of these people! We became good friends after that!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 AM

A high school classmate read the church bulletin his sister had in her home and saw my name. I had asked for prayers for my father and myself, but never expected the request would be published!!!!
Long story shot, he managed to get my phone number and left voice mail that he would help me with anything needed with no strings attached. We met for lunch and the start of a whirlwind relationship. That was just ten years ago. I married that best friend who has taught me to relax, laugh and love.
I went from being a single mom empty nester, only child to having a caring loving family of six sets of brother-in-law and sister-in-law. I also became an aunt in the process. I could never have planned my life so perfectly.
We had known each other forever, but not really become friends....until ten years ago. Life experiences had helped us to grow and 36 years after graduating from high school and going in different directions, we were ready to make a life together. We are truly blessed.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:02 AM

The nicest (and most romantic) thing that my husband ever did for me was surprise me on our 17th wedding anniversary. We'll celebrate 30 years this Sept. Anyway, we had a rough year in 1997. My husband had been diagnosed with melanoma. Randy had gone through a 2 hour surgery to remove it & lymph nodes. And we were going to Duke University once a month for him to get an experimental vaccine shot. The day of our anniversary 17 beautiful lavender roses were delivered. Then tickets to see a concert were delivered. It was little surprises all through the day, and I thought that was it. But, Randy told me that we would be going out to eat that night & to dress up because he had made reservations. But, he wouldn't tell me where we were going. As we started out he told me that we needed to stop by our church, because the Pastor had asked him to repair some carpet. (We have a carpet cleaning company) This was not unusual, because he had done work for the church before. We parked in the church parking lot and he said that I should come inside, too, because he didn't know how long it would take. Imagine my surprise when we opened the doors and there sat most of our family & friends. Randy turned to me and asked me if I would marry him again. So, we renewed our vows. How he pulled this surprise off without my getting wind of it I will never know.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:20 AM

I will never forget the wonderful "older" (to us at the time) couple in Pendleton, OR who opened their home to a family of complete strangers for a day.
Our car had broken down and we had managed to make it to the dealership for repair but were told that it would take 8-10 hours and we would have to wait because there was someone ahead of us. The "older" couple. They must have realized our stress. We had been driving for 20 hours with a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old. I bet we looked rough. Anyway, they told the service people they could wait for another day and to fix our car instead. Then they took us home with them so the kids could play in their yard, nap and have a nice dinner. It was so wonderful. I will never forget them or the wonderful lesson I learned from that.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Banned

About three and a half years ago we found out my DH's sister had cancer. It's a rare type and seemed to be traveling around. The summer of 2008 she, with the help of her son, organized for 14 of us family members to go on a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean! At the last minute she got sick again and was in the hospital. We all wanted to stay home as she would not be able to go, but she insisted the rest of us go without her. So she, her DH and her aunt stayed home and the rest of us (11 of us) ranging from 6 yrs to 62 yrs went on the cruise. All the expenses for all 11 of us) were paid except for the excursions which were actually paid as she gave us each spending money on top of paying our air fare, & cruise fee!

The cruise was great fun while at the same time we really missed her and wished she had been able to go.

We have been blessed in the fact that she is still with us and we have been able to visit with her twice since then. (We are a few states away and don't get to visit much).
Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

When my children were very small my husbands dad passes away just days before Christmas. We made the trip back home but there would be no Christmas morning for my kids. About 11 PM Christmas eve my husbands Ex mother in law arrived with gifts for my kids to open in the morning. It made Christmas special to them. And she certainly didn't have to do it. What a wonderful woman.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Oh Eddie, what a wonderful thread!
I got broadsided several years ago. I was unhurt but shaken up of course. A couple of days later one of my sons sent me a package of goodies. Inside the box was a copy of his favorite book from childhood "Goodnight Moon". He inscribed it telling me how much that book soothed him when he was little and hoped it did the same for me..
I cried and cried and put it on my nightstand, where it stays.( and still gets read)
Oh MY! My daughter just called to tell me about Chloe our granddaughter. Goodnight Moon is her favorite book..she is two years old.
Janet, that book was probably the most read to my children when they were little. You can't imagine how I felt when he sent it.
When Eddie asked "whatever comes to mind first" as there are so many wonderful things people have done for me and of course, all of you that one jumped right out :)
Old 07-20-2010, 03:41 PM

This was so sweet! It reminds me of when my daughter was a teenager. For Christmas one year she gave me Love You Forever. It was a child's book that I had not read before. At first I thought "why in the world is Alicia giving me a children's book", but then after unwrapping I started reading it and by the last page I was bawling and Alicia was laughing.

I got broadsided several years ago. I was unhurt but shaken up of course. A couple of days later one of my sons sent me a package of goodies. Inside the box was a copy of his favorite book from childhood "Goodnight Moon". He inscribed it telling me how much that book soothed him when he was little and hoped it did the same for me..
I cried and cried and put it on my nightstand, where it stays.( and still gets read)
Old 07-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Debbie B
This was so sweet! It reminds me of when my daughter was a teenager. For Christmas one year she gave me Love You Forever. It was a child's book that I had not read before. At first I thought "why in the world is Alicia giving me a children's book", but then after unwrapping I started reading it and by the last page I was bawling and Alicia was laughing.

OMG Debbie- I bought that book for my boys!!!! All 3 of them.
That is another great book!!! I love childrens books.
Your daughter sounds like a sweetie :)
Old 08-30-2010, 08:18 AM

When God sees us hurting, He sends us people.. Today, more than you will ever know, Eddie, He has sent me great encouragement in just seeing your beautiful work, AND seeing how you think of others as you share your posts here.. I can only say that, when I can't sew for health, or financial reasons (stemming from both ) , I know I can come back here and look at your work, and all the other beautiful stuff that other quilters have done, too.. One day, when I win the lottery ( haha ), I will have so much fabric to create with, my poor mind would never be the same again! yes, today, I am sharing that the best thing someone has done for me , just for today, is seeing your creativity, and enjoyment of what you do. Thank you,, Eddie..