Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the one thing you clean when a certain someone visits? Why?

Blog Entries
    When one of my best friends comes over, I always make sure I scrub the sink. The first time she came over, she told me later that she knew our home was a clean one because it looked like she could eat out of the sink. So, I make sure that's clean, every time!

Blog Entries
    If someone is coming to see my house, they just as well stay home...

Blog Entries
    I vacuum the carpet in the dining room. My two kids and carpet in the dining room don't mix well. The next house will have an eat-in kitchen.

The main bathroom! Fresh towels and just a quick wipe! Wala!
    Why? I like a clean bathroom! (as well as kitchen)

My house stays pretty much clean. But I did have some friends over the other day and they wanted to come to see my quilting room. so I had to straighten up in there, you know I can get quite messy. Swept real quick and put away some fabric. Took about 10 minutes.

Blog Entries
    Hmmmm well I don't do anything extra ..I clean my bathrooms daily and vaccuum three or 4 times a week..so I am always ready if someone happens to stop in.

These days I don't bother all too much making anything different than what it is everyday. I don't live in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine spread. We live in our home - all the rooms. And given that, if you stop by, you might find dishes in the sink or a mess someplace. I use to be more concerned. But now, life is too short. I guess if I were planning a gathering, I'd make sure the downstairs bathroom and kitchen are picked up and clean. I want my company to be comfortable. But day/day friends, shoot, you get what you get. LOL

Blog Entries
    Well said! I agree totally!

When I know we are having guests, the whole house gets a through cleaning all 1638 sq. ft. of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooklabell
    These days I don't bother all too much making anything different than what it is everyday. I don't live in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine spread. We live in our home - all the rooms. And given that, if you stop by, you might find dishes in the sink or a mess someplace. I use to be more concerned. But now, life is too short. I guess if I were planning a gathering, I'd make sure the downstairs bathroom and kitchen are picked up and clean. I want my company to be comfortable. But day/day friends, shoot, you get what you get. LOL
    Yep!

Blog Entries
    Depends on if they have come to visit ME or MY HOUSE.
    If they come to visit me...I make sure I'm presentable...if they came to see my house...Oh Well...There's no Merry Maids close by. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by orangeroom
    When one of my best friends comes over, I always make sure I scrub the sink. The first time she came over, she told me later that she knew our home was a clean one because it looked like she could eat out of the sink. So, I make sure that's clean, every time!
    My mother was sooo bad about cleaning my kitchen sink when she would come visit from out of town, that now that I live closer to her when she calls to see if she can drop by I say "Sure, but you are going to want to clean my sink!"...she laughs and says "You know I will :)" and she does every time, even if it isn't dirty...lol

Wouldn't the Merry Maids be nice to have, though? For free, of course! I have always kept my house clean, my mother did and my DH is even more particular, but as the years go by I find cleaning to be hard work and if I don't let clutter pile up, I'm pretty content and don't loose sleep over a bit of dirt! My kitchen and bathrooms would be want I want clean if you are coming over !

Blog Entries
    I don't spend a lot of effort on cleaning and my friends know it. I always keep the fridge and sink clean and the bathroom. If the tables are dusty or bunnies under the furniture or a spider takes up residence in the celing corner, I don't care!

My house pretty much stays clean. I clean for me, not others. :)

I do a general neatening up, I guess. Why? Things lying around look sloppy.

I am usually good about taking the garbage out, but if someone's coming over, I may take it out before it really needs it. Why? To remove any smells, and because taking out garbage is the first thing I do when cleaning anyway.

The one thing I clean is the dishes. I rarely use a dishwasher, so things may be in the sink from an earlier meal. So those get washed when someone's coming over. Why? Same thing - to remove smells and that's a first cleaning activity.

Senior Member hensandhollyhocks's Avatar
    I just make sure there isn't anything I wouldn't want to see laying around. I hope people come to my house to see me, not how I live.

Getting company makes me clean my house! Nice to see it clean once in a while !!

The bathroom!

I drove my kids crazy when they were little always cleaning. Now I do it when I have to, usually once a week. If I know you're coming I will make sure the bathroom and kitchen are presentable and run the sweeper. Our house is dusty all the time so it doesn't matter when I dust, it will look like I didn't. Life is short!

kitchen - dining room and floor and the main bathroom. I try to keep those clean we live on a dairy farm and have frequent business men stop by and I like to have the kitchen - dining area presentable. Then the bathroom around the corner; everyone uses and they come in with dirty pants with hay so there is sometimes hay on the floors so I try to keep that cleaned up. Oh well they don't come to see the house they really come in for a cup of coffee and a homemade cookie ! seriously - I think they can smell those cookies - LOL

I make sure everything is picked up,

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I can handle my creative clutter in almost every room, but my Kitchen and Bathroom have to be spotless!

Nothing. You take me as I am.

Nothing!!! If they are coming to see my house they can go home. If they are coming to see me they are welcome.
    There are days, when I am sewing, that the house looks really bad, but its way more important to me, to sew. I don't mean that the place would get condemned, but if I don't get the sink cleaned that day or floor swept, oh well.
    Hubby always says "we live here and if someone doesn't like it, they can go home!"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast