Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's the one thing you clean when a certain someone visits?  Why? >

What's the one thing you clean when a certain someone visits? Why?

What's the one thing you clean when a certain someone visits? Why?

Old 09-26-2011, 08:36 PM

kitchen - dining room and floor and the main bathroom. I try to keep those clean we live on a dairy farm and have frequent business men stop by and I like to have the kitchen - dining area presentable. Then the bathroom around the corner; everyone uses and they come in with dirty pants with hay so there is sometimes hay on the floors so I try to keep that cleaned up. Oh well they don't come to see the house they really come in for a cup of coffee and a homemade cookie ! seriously - I think they can smell those cookies - LOL
Old 09-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

I make sure everything is picked up,
Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Banned

I can handle my creative clutter in almost every room, but my Kitchen and Bathroom have to be spotless!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:15 AM

Nothing. You take me as I am.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:34 AM

Nothing!!! If they are coming to see my house they can go home. If they are coming to see me they are welcome.
There are days, when I am sewing, that the house looks really bad, but its way more important to me, to sew. I don't mean that the place would get condemned, but if I don't get the sink cleaned that day or floor swept, oh well.
Hubby always says "we live here and if someone doesn't like it, they can go home!"
Old 09-27-2011, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
If someone is coming to see my house, they just as well stay home...
You said it Sadiemae. How is Molly?

Actually, if they don't call first they desire what they find.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:46 AM

With just me, my brother and my little dog it doesn't get to dirty. I mop and vacuum the downstairs every Friday. But if someone drops in they get what they get.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell
These days I don't bother all too much making anything different than what it is everyday. I don't live in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine spread. We live in our home - all the rooms. And given that, if you stop by, you might find dishes in the sink or a mess someplace. I use to be more concerned. But now, life is too short. I guess if I were planning a gathering, I'd make sure the downstairs bathroom and kitchen are picked up and clean. I want my company to be comfortable. But day/day friends, shoot, you get what you get. LOL
I agree :thumbup:
Old 09-27-2011, 04:51 AM

with me being in a mobile home, kitchen & living room connected, those two especially, then the bathrooms, I hate those rings. yes the kitchen sink, dishes put away, floors scrubbed. and the rooms have a fresh smell.

you may think this may be a bit silly, but when my son comes home from Iraq this Dec or January, I want it spotless! maybe military "inspection" and I am not a perfectionist! wanna see my sewing room?? and he does check stuff out!!

I don't have many visitors. but the above is what I usually do when I am expecting someone to come.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:52 AM

The COFFEE POT! The most important item in my house if I am having guests, LOL!

Seriously, I married young and lived 13 years with an abusive man who let me know constantly that my efforts were never good enough. After I divorced him I still felt the effects of that terrorism for a long time.

I didn't realize how much I had internalized it all until I met my wonderful husband. Shortly after we married, 16 years ago, he made me a small laminated card to carry in my wallet that had my name and stated that I was now officially exempt from having to live up to other peoples expectations on it. He told me that I was to hand it to anyone who made me feel I was not "good enough".

It sounds silly but was very freeing! I have never had to use it, lol, just having it in my purse is enough to remind myself that I am free of that bondage.

Deb