Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's your fav do-it-yourself hair color brand? >

What's your fav do-it-yourself hair color brand?

What's your fav do-it-yourself hair color brand?

Old 10-05-2013, 07:58 AM

If you discount my very gray and thin hair, I am a brunette and have had good coverage with Nutreese. I like it as it seems less harsh than others. I liked the Olia but it didn't cover the gray as well. I've been doing my own for almost a year now because of cost, and it has taken a lot of trial and error to find the best one for my particular hair. You may have to do the same thing.....every head reacts differently to the chemicals in the dyes......
Old 10-05-2013, 09:56 AM

I have tried several brands. My favorite brand is Avon. I found out by accident that they even make it. It is rarely listed in their catalogs but you can find it online and either order it there or take to your Avon rep. Best hair dye I have ever used and the price is good.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 AM

I don't color my hair but help my daughter with hers. She typically uses Garnier, I think.
FYI: I am too unmotivated to either color or highlight my hair because it takes work to keep it up and I have better ways to spend my time.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:15 AM

I agree w/Misty Mom,Loreal Preference.I'm mostly grey w/some brown here & there. I use the one that comes w/the High liter kit,Love it
Old 10-05-2013, 12:40 PM

I stopped with the hair colour when my head broke out in bumps and open sores. The chemicals were just too harsh. I am now a white/gray/brown mixed up mess--- it is what it is!!
Old 10-05-2013, 03:19 PM

I started dying my hqir at age 13 the joke in the family was if you didn't like my hair color wait a month or so and it would be a diffrent color even did green for st pats day. Kept it purple for a long time Now I am to old or it would be purple again lol For a while I had a gf that ws a beautician she always had me use prell shampoo before she tinted my hair to remove all the product that lingers even after you wash it. Right now my hair is mousey dishwater blond with lots of gray Because for some reason my hair will not take color prob due to medications
Old 10-05-2013, 03:37 PM

Revlon. I use red #54 or 45. I don't remember. I love it and it's much cheaper than the salon.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:16 PM

Check out this site for a tea to get healthy color. I have been using the rosemary/sage tea for a number of years. My hair was white and made me look like a ghost but the tea makes my hair a champagne blonde. I was very light blonde as a child and even at the hair salon have gotten comments on the beautiful color of my hair. I do the tea every month after a hair cut and will never use chemicals again. If I can eat the herbs--my hair can have a bath in it, I leave it on about 8 hours, then wash out. Am thinking if it is on longer it will take better but who knows.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/20...ken-grey-hair/
Old 10-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
It takes time but looks great. Wren shampoo is the best. The Tresemme keratin smooth shampoo and conditioner is the most like Wren you can buy over the counter.
oops It's Wen shampoo not Wren.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:02 PM

Only my hairdresser knows for sure....