Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's your fav do-it-yourself hair color brand?

Blog Entries
    I started dying my hqir at age 13 the joke in the family was if you didn't like my hair color wait a month or so and it would be a diffrent color even did green for st pats day. Kept it purple for a long time Now I am to old or it would be purple again lol For a while I had a gf that ws a beautician she always had me use prell shampoo before she tinted my hair to remove all the product that lingers even after you wash it. Right now my hair is mousey dishwater blond with lots of gray Because for some reason my hair will not take color prob due to medications

Revlon. I use red #54 or 45. I don't remember. I love it and it's much cheaper than the salon.

Check out this site for a tea to get healthy color. I have been using the rosemary/sage tea for a number of years. My hair was white and made me look like a ghost but the tea makes my hair a champagne blonde. I was very light blonde as a child and even at the hair salon have gotten comments on the beautiful color of my hair. I do the tea every month after a hair cut and will never use chemicals again. If I can eat the herbs--my hair can have a bath in it, I leave it on about 8 hours, then wash out. Am thinking if it is on longer it will take better but who knows.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/20...ken-grey-hair/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    It takes time but looks great. Wren shampoo is the best. The Tresemme keratin smooth shampoo and conditioner is the most like Wren you can buy over the counter.
    oops It's Wen shampoo not Wren.
    Got fabric?

Only my hairdresser knows for sure....
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I like the new Olia.
    :-)
    CAS

I use Nice & Easy. My niece, who's a beautician, said that if I didn't want red highlights, to get a color with ash.

I have mine high-low lighted about 3-4 times a year by my stylist. I go 2 levels light and only one dark, because my hair grabs the black in the dark. I am also a non practicing stylist. I used to tell my clients that I was Licensed to ruin their hair whan they came in with problems.
    Everyones hair takes color differently. I am naturally about a level 4 which is a dark medium brown. I do not let people use bleach to hi-lite my hair as I would look like the cheapest girl on the street when it was done. (yes, someone did it that way.) I had a "blonde" woman come in with what I called bottom of the lake muck green hair, as she wanted to lose the "brassy", but her hair took the ash. I had to correct another womans hair after she wanted the "burgundy" look that was popular a few years back, and it took the red violet shade and not in a pretty way. When people tell you to go ash, remember it will have blue and green in it, and you hair may take one shade over the other.
    And actually if you follow your color wheel theory. you have to correct the hair color with the opposite color on the wheel. To control brassy(orange)- you need to add green, but not go overboard. What works for one will not work for the next, that's why so many of us will pay the haevy price to have some one put the color in.
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” – Anonymous
    Susan - AKA _ Anglelight

I use Revlon 51 and also Clairol Nice n Easy when on sale and I have coupons. Most people like my hair lighter, but I like it darker so try to keep it a medium brown...

Go natural. I am an extremist I suppose. Had long, thick, straight hair as a girl, as I got older I wore it shorter (slightly)...at it's longest it hit the backs of my knees. Stopped colouring my hair at 30. Now wear it cropped very short, no dye, no conditioner and I no longer possess a brush or a comb. Can't think of anything worse than stressing over roots, bad dye jobs or dodgy hairdressers.....Shower, towel dry, organise with fingers and I'm good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
    Thinking of taking a break from the salon and doing it at home, but it's been a while and now I'm a blonde (from my new natural shade of silvery white ) and was wondering what does the job without too much damage or peroxide.

What do you like?
    I like going going to my salon. I wont mess with home treatments but I get my hair professionally colored every month. Not taking a chance on my hair. And i am not ready to go au natural.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2