Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's your favorite home remedy for a cold? >

What's your favorite home remedy for a cold?

What's your favorite home remedy for a cold?

Old 10-12-2011, 06:58 AM

I feel a whine coming on.....
I don't have time to get this cold...now it is going into a really nice cough...
The wedding is in 9 days, her dress isn't finished yet...I'm not completely sure what I'm wearing...and I feel like #$%^.
Have to go and get hair cut and colored...too much grey in my dishwater blonde.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:40 AM

If I get a cold it is usually a head cold, stuffed up so I take a hot drink, (shot of whiskey,honey, and nutmeg,) drink it down and go to bed and sweat it out and it is gone the next day.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:58 AM

I do the menthol and sock neck and joints rub, alka seltzer cold medicine, and an herbal tea to sip on. You need to go to the tea shop for the herbs for the cold remedy. Within a couple days, cold is gone and you feel so refreshed. The remedy is milk thistle, cleavers, golden seal, cats claw, slippery elm and brewed till dark. It is a bit bitter, but works wonders. My daughter has a cold right now, I did not notice soon enough so she may have to suffer a couple of days before it is over. It is best to catch that cold before it comes on. The hot chocolate and schnapps is good to keep the chills off. My mom always did the hot toddy as well, but not a big whiskey drinker and can't get it down. Gave the little one the sock therapy and herbal tea therapy and she is over the sore throat over night, now for those sinuses. I hope you get better and take care. You will get it one. sometimes we have to take a little rest to refresh and can work twice as hard when we feel better. Do not stress anymore, it is not helping you get better. It will all come together nicely and the wedding will be beautiful just as they always are. That dress is going to get done, just going to be the day before the wedding.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:27 AM

I gave up meat and have not had a cold in 20 years.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:51 AM

I seldom get a cold; have sinus and allergy issues;however about 4 years ago I was sick with a cold and just couldn't get rid of it. I remembered my grandmother used to run my chest, front and back, under arm pit and bottom of my feet with Vicks Vapo Rub.....Sent child to store, got Vicks, rubbed my self down and encased my self in socks and flannel pj.s...within 24 hours I was much much better. Haven't been that sick sense but really think it helped !
Old 10-12-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I usually increase my orange juice intake. That's what my mother always had us do. I'm not sure it really works though. Not all our colds seemed to end sooner.

What are your home remedies for a cold?
Hot lemonade sweetened with honey and spiked with tequila helps to loosen up the congestion so you can cough it out. Of course, if you still feel bad you can add tequila until you don't care anymore. LOL! :lol:

Donna
Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by pugmom
I gave up meat and have not had a cold in 20 years.
that's interesting. I've heard that if you eat meat etc and your system is too acid, then you get colds and gain weight etc. But if you give up meat products and stay alkaline you're healthier. But I love beef and chicken!! So its difficult for me.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:14 AM

vicks on the bottom of feet, white socks before bedtime......and it works!!!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:17 AM

My grandma did bottom of feet, armpits, chest and back, sometimes a flannel piece safety pinned into pjs....but always white cotton socks and flannel pjs ! Now, i sort of remember my grandmother talking about some kind of bags she had to wear around her neck as a child....called something like: phonetic: ask fit ity.......must be a very old, possibly southern, folklore custom....
Old 10-12-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Honeynga
My grandma did bottom of feet, armpits, chest and back, sometimes a flannel piece safety pinned into pjs....but always white cotton socks and flannel pjs ! Now, i sort of remember my grandmother talking about some kind of bags she had to wear around her neck as a child....called something like: phonetic: ask fit ity.......must be a very old, possibly southern, folklore custom....
Oh, that phonetic "word" brought back a memory of a neighbor I once had.....I don't remember the actually word either, but I do know it is/was some sort of natural herb.....well, aspirin's origin is willow bark so there must be something said for "natural remedies".......