Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's your favorite song for Christmas Eve? >

What's your favorite song for Christmas Eve?

What's your favorite song for Christmas Eve?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by I go To The Sea To Breathe
Silent Night. You know my husband was forced into retirement due to 3rd open heart surgery last year. We were sitting in our new church as members, during Christmas Eve services and my husband leaned over and whispered: "It looks prettier from up at the altar". I felt so sorry for him. It has been a long year, but we are together and slowly he is mending.. But Silent Night, especially when they sing a verse in German is so good to hear...Blessings to you all.
My dad served in WW II and was stationed in Germany. He never said much about his experiences during the war, but he did recall his memories of Christmas Eve, and in the quiet, they could hear the German soldiers singing "Stille Nacht, Heilege Nacht"...and how beautiful it sounded. (Ihope I have the spelling correct.)

To this day, "Silent Night" is one of my favorites. Another is "Adeste Fidelis". An all-time favorite is to hear Perry Como singing "Ave Maria"...That really chokes me up!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Karyn
All Christmas music by Manheim Steamroller, they are great!
I agree! I took 3 of my Manheim Steamroller CDs along to work today and enjoyed them as background music. My youngest daughter told me the group will be performing in Brookings, SD, on Dec. 10th. Oh, how I would love to go!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Snorky Lvs2Quilt
It isn't necessarily a Christmas song but "Ave Maria" always brings tears to my eyes.
It brings tears to mine too but for a totally different reason. I fell down the basement stairs in my youth while belting out that song. Since then, it's been "Ave Mariiiiiiaboombang" lol
Old 12-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Dee

My favorite is Silent Night.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:26 PM

My favorite would be "What Child Is This".
Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
It isn't necessarily a Christmas song but "Ave Maria" always brings tears to my eyes.
It brings tears to mine too but for a totally different reason. I fell down the basement stairs in my youth while belting out that song. Since then, it's been "Ave Mariiiiiiaboombang" lol
LOL, Mad! I don't think I'll ever listen to 'Ave Maria' again without smiling... :-)
Old 12-03-2010, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
Oh Holy Night
Love that one too
Old 12-03-2010, 04:23 AM

It's nice to know I'm not the only "graceful" one!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

I love Christmas music!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by lauriejo
It's nice to know I'm not the only "graceful" one!
A little background here. I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran - if you are a MS Lutheran, you can understand. I played the piano and organ and always loved "Ave Maria". I always wanted it played, not sung, at our wedding, because I loved the music. (Besides which, I am probably the only MS Lutheran that knows both renditions by heart - in Latin. ANyhow, when my husband and I were married the music in the background was taped music and I barely remember the music, but we did have a tape made of our wedding and when we heard it the first time, there in the background was Ave Maria,played, not sung. One of the highlights of my life. Edie