Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's your favorite type of Vacation? >

What's your favorite type of Vacation?

What's your favorite type of Vacation?

Old 07-31-2010, 10:35 AM

I love sitting with my toes in the sand, the wind blowing my hair out of my face, and the sun gently shining on my face. Yep that is Holmes Beach, Florida! Aint nothing like it, unless BP ruins it for us!!
Old 07-31-2010, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

Somewhere on a tropical island without cell phone or internet losing all sense of time. Cruise sounds good too though. We will have to try one.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:34 PM

You mean people still go on vacations!?
W used to take our kids and go camping in our travel trailer. Then they were all grown up.
We bought a motor home and did like oldhag said. I called it following where ever my nose led me. Those were some fun times. The things we found at garage sales!
Now we don't go any further than to town and back, but, we're happy.
I can still fondle my stash, sew, crochet, knit, machine embroider. Oh, I can't forget this, spend money online.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:55 PM

We towed a small trailer and took our motorcycle on a four week trip around the west, hitting 5 states. Stopped where and when we wanted. Explored side roads. It was a wonderful experience. On the motorcycle you can experience the nature around you in a way like no other. We could smell the sea air near the coast, and the pine trees in the mountains. It's a full-on sensory experience. (Luckily we only got rained on for a half-a-day.) :-) I'd love to do it again.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

Give me camping every time. If I really need to relax we rent a cabin.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:14 PM

I have been on quite a few cruises but have no desire to go on more. We really enjoy taking road trips in the fall, down back roads and looking at the beautiful country we live in. We have been in a lot of the states and have so much fun doing this.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by jackkip
My favorite is Cruising. I love to go on the open water. Being on a Ship makes me slow down. There is no hurry for nothing. That being said, my next vacation is a little over 100 days away....can't wait to get back on the water :D
My favorite vacation (not including the 4-7 day fabric shop hops that DH takes me on several times a year) was seeing the Great Lakes lighthouses. Oh my gosh almost all of them were just stunning, took lots of pics that are framed and on my DH man room walls. Lots and Lots and Lots of history, oh to be a lighthouse caretaker and sit in those beuatiful structures all day and quilt!!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by oldhag
Traveling in our RV. We make no plans, We get up and hit the road, if we see something 50 miles down the road, that's where we will stop, if it's 300 miles.... you get the idea. Staying off of the Interstates as you get to see real life on the secondary roads. Getting lost is fun.Our goal is to visit every dirt track in North America and watch some grassroots racing at local tracks.
Heck yeah, another race fan, wasn't sure if I could ask if one was bite by the race bug and quilting bug. Our local track is Berlin Raceway in Marne, MI. My uncle was the first man killed racing there back in 1959, but still love the place. Johnny Bensen, KYle Busch make the rounds here several times a year, also MI is home to Penske racing. Love, love, Love Tony Stewarts track in Eldora. His Prelude to the Dream race every spring is the greatest. To combine quilting and racing I'm working on some kids quilts for Victory Junction Gang Camp. Sorry I got carried away, racing and quilting does that to me.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Marlys
I have been on 1 cruise & loved it! I spent a month traveling in Europe (9 countries) and loved it! I will do both agains. I am driving to Ohio & PA in 3 weeks and am looking forward to seeing some new (to me) parts of our country. I am not a camper - give me a bed & a shower and I am a happy camper!!! It really doesn't matter where, I just love to travel!
How is quilt shop planning going? Are you finding interesting shops to stop at?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:16 AM

I love the ocean and beach too. Try to go every year. I also love cruises. Have been on two. Something else that can be fun is just taking a road trip and stop whenever and where ever you want to.