Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When did and who taught you to sew? >

When did and who taught you to sew?

When did and who taught you to sew?

Old 07-08-2011, 04:45 AM

I taught myself in 1973 after I got married. I HATED home e in high school flunked it on purpose. Then one day just decided to do and been sewing and quilting ever since even did craft shows for Years!!!!!
Old 07-08-2011, 04:48 AM

Oh my dear mother and could she sew. I learned so many things from her and sometimes I wish she could still live to share this club with me.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:27 AM

Not sure if this is the apron pattern you are trying to duplicate from memory.

It is an old pattern that I also remember my Gran making. I also made this apron pattern about 30 years agao.

http://tipnut.com/free-petal-apron-pattern/

Originally Posted by MargeD
My mother taught me to sew and do embroidery. She told me my stitches were very tiny like my great-grandmother's. I remember embroidering a pot holder in first grade. Mom would buy pillowcase tubing or pre-printe pillowcases and I would embroider them. I started making aprons when I was about 8 or 9 with no pattern. We had a family friend called Aunt Kate who sewed quilts, patchwork aprons that looked like an upside down tulip (I'm trying to duplicate this from memory, but I'm having a hard time), as well as clothespin hangers that looked like dresses. Mom couldn't read a pattern, so I had to wait until my sophomore year of high school to take Home Ec. Apparently the principle thought that freshmen girls weren't old enough for Home Ec. I was the Betty Crocker Homemaker of Tomorrow in my senior year and made it to the final 10 candidates. I made all of my own clothes, even after leaving high school. I took a break for a few years, then gradually picking it up again. I taught myself to quilt using a Georgia J. Bonesteal Lap quilting video and her Spinning Spools pattern and templates that came in two binders. I finally took a quilt class and learned to machine quilt and I've been doing it ever since for over 25 years. Quilting keeps me sane for the most part, I have made dozens of baby quilts to give away, raffle quilts for church and then started making family reunion quilts about 12 or 14 years ago, can't remember how many. Hubby and I are "retired" on SS, although he gets disability, so I had to purge a lot of my fabric when we moved to an apt., but I stiill plan to make quilted items and try to sell them at craft shows on online.
Petal Apron Pic.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222841[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-222835.jpe  
Old 07-08-2011, 05:33 AM

I got the sewing bug in 7th grade. We made a dress in home ec. My mother's cousin who is like an Aunt to me, was a great sewer. I remember one August taking a bus from Brooklyn, NY to Danbury Ct to spend a week with her. We went shopping for material and she guided me through sewing new outfits for school. It was thrilling! I've never forgotten that special time with her and the priceless gift she gave me.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:47 AM

My Mom taught me how to sew with help from my sisters and my Mom's two sisters who worked in the garment industry tailoring men's clothing at a local shop. My Mom sewed on her new electric sewing machine and I learned at the age of 8 or 9 on a treadle, sewing Barbie doll clothes. I opted for taking 4 years of Art in high school as an elective after my sister's taught me the sewing methods they had learned in Home Economics. I hope to pass along as much as I can to my son (I don't have a daughter) as his interests evolve. Right now, he likes to use my embroidery machine and keeps sticking his head in my sewing room while I am piecing. He smiles and says, "You're having fun aren't you Mom?" Thanks for asking us to walk down memory lane!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:02 AM

Oh how I resisted learning to sew... wasn't interested in domestication AT ALL! ha ha... Fortunately for me, my mother enrolled me in a Home Ec class in the 9th grade, I had a wonderful teacher and learned to sew... My mother was a wise woman... She and Daddy gave me a Bernina 830 (the mechanical one) when I graduated college in 1975 and I'm still sewing away on it... and loving every minute of it...

btw... I learned to cook (somewhat) that year, too... sheepish smile here...
Old 07-08-2011, 06:23 AM

I learned to sew on an old White treadle sewing machine back in the 40's. My mother taught me. Wish I still had it and her. I've been making my own clothing ever since.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:20 AM

I knew I had a sewing bug when I was young but I didn't have access to a sewing machine. (I later learned from my mother that my father, he died when I was little, could sew. He had made drapes for our living room and lined a fur coat for his mother). I used to sew things for my dolls by hand. When I was in Jr. High and High School, I took sewing every time we had to sign up for a home ec class. My brother bought me my first Singer for Christmas in 1972 so I could make things for him. I taught myself how to make a teddy bear so he could give it to his girlfriend. I'm now teaching my grown daughter how to sew.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:48 AM

I watched my Mother and Grandmother make our clothes and quilts. Did not actually learn until HomeEc classes in high school in the late 50's. Am going to try to attach pictures of my Grandmother's machine which I was lucky enough to inherit, but have not used.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-222910.jpe   attachment-222911.jpe   attachment-222912.jpe  
Old 07-08-2011, 07:52 AM

My first husband taught me how to sew.....lol