Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When did and who taught you to sew? >

When did and who taught you to sew?

When did and who taught you to sew?

Old 07-08-2011, 08:03 AM

My wonderful Mom taught me how to sew when I was about 10. I took sewing classes in jr. high school and high school. I used to make just clothing, but after I retired from work, I started making quilts.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:10 AM

My mother taught me about 7 or 8 years of age. I had my own machine, a kid's size that I made work by turning a handle. Still have the machine and still have Mom (100 now) who loves to see my WIPs
Old 07-08-2011, 08:18 AM

I basically taught myself to sew, with a little help here and there from others. My mother sewed and quilted very well, but she passed away when I was a child, so I missed out on her sewing expertise. I took a class in home economics in school that included sewing lessons, but I don't feel like I learned much there. Maybe I was too young to be interested then.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:28 AM

my mother showed me how to use her machine when i was 4. i remember sewing lots of doll clothes all through my childhood. she also had me working embroidery and i finished my first sampler before i was 5. my own daughter finished a doll quilt before she turned 5 this spring. i have been slow on the hand embroidery with her since her younger brother won't leave sharps alone. i'll have to get busy and teach him some sewing to keep him out of trouble as well.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 AM

I learned to sew from my mother & grandmother. By the end of my elementary school year, I was making my own clothes!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:09 AM

I first started sewing when I was five. I wanted doll clothes. My grandmother who had been a teacher in WV bought me a singer sewing machine that you hand cranked. I still have it to this day. My mother taught for Singer in our local town at the time. My mother had just finished making curtains for my three brother's room. It was black with pink and blue penants. She taught me to gather the top and attach it to a waist band. I hemmed it by hand and put a snap for the closurer. My brother's were not happy that I was wearing a skirt made out of their curtain material. LOL It reminds me of" The Sound of Music." LOL and I have been sewing and quilting every since. I am glad I had a grandma that wanted me to learn how to do things and not just buy them for me.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:26 AM

Late 1960s. My Mother let me sew a little bit on her Singer 301A as a teenager. Sewed leathercraft items off and on by hand between then and 2006, when my wife taught me how to mend and hem jeans on machines. She’s teaching me how to piece quilt blocks now.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 AM

My first "real" sewing lesson was in Junior High School - Home Ec. Made a ghastley peter pan collared sleeveless blouse , and had to wear it to get a grade ! UGH !
Old 07-08-2011, 09:36 AM

When I was little I sat in the floor beside Mother as she sewed on her old Singer treadle. I really started learning to sew when I started taking homemaking in the 9th grade. Mrs. Jewel Spivey was a wonderful teacher. We started out making cup towels, then pillow cases, then aprons, then a skirt and blouse. Mother helped me a lot too, and by summertime I was making almost all my clothes. Through the years I've sewed for my daughter and son, then grandchildren, and for my mother after she was no longer able to sew herself. I also sewed for the public for a number of years. I've always loved to sew. I never had a "stash" of fabric in those days because I sewed everything I could get my hands on.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:04 AM

I started in at home with my mom - first thing I tried to sew was a skirt with pockets. I think I sewed those darn pockets closed 4-5 times before i got it right!! I was so angry at myself - couldn't believe I'd done it again.....and again.....and again! Then I joined 4-H and learned to sew other things. I started quilting when I was a senior in high school - made a butterfly quilt for a new baby in the church I played organ at. I even made my bridesmaids dresses & my wedding dress. Then my children grew up and I made prom dresses. Now I'm pretty much back to quilts, until one of my girls decides to get married - then I'll offer to make the wedding gown. I can hardly wait!!