Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When I was little - some things I thought - that are not so - >

When I was little - some things I thought - that are not so -

When I was little - some things I thought - that are not so -

Old 05-13-2018, 01:20 PM

When I was taking care of my grandson when he was little, I would always pick up the phone and pretend I was talking to the boggie man and ask him if he had any candy. Grandson would listen to me. I thought that way he would never be afraid of that boggie man.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:52 PM

I always wondered what would happen to “stuck up” kids when they grew up. Well, I found out, they grew up and they’re still “stuck up” !!!
Old 05-13-2018, 07:11 PM

If you cross your eyes they will stay that way....yikes! I had three older brothers so I'm sure I can come up with many more...ha!
Old 05-13-2018, 07:26 PM

If you swallowed a watermellon seed it would grow in your tummy, and swollowing gum would plug you up. I remember the drinking coffe would stunt your growth too. (for some reason it isn;t working anymore)
Old 05-14-2018, 03:03 AM

When I was a kid, my dad happened to make a comment that chili wasn't good in the summer. I misunderstood, and thought he meant that the chili was somehow "bad", and that it would make you sick if you ate any during hot weather. LOL!

There's a bridge in Chattanooga called the Olgiati Bridge. I'd never seen the name written out on paper, so for years I thought it was the "Ol' Johnny Bridge". I was probably 20 or 21 years old before I knew the real name. Wonder how many people secretly giggled because of me saying it wrong.

I was told the same thing about watermelon seeds ... that if you swallowed one, you'd have a watermelon plant growing in your belly!

I remember when a childhood friend accidentally swallowed a coin. I immediately burst into tears when my mom told me, because I was totally convinced he was going to die. (He was fine.)

Popping my knuckles would make them big. (It didn't.)

If my ear itched, it meant someone was talking about me. If my palm itched, I was going to get some money. I don't know if the former was true, but I'm still waiting on my Itchy Palm Money! ha ha

For some reason, I thought when I turned 27 years old, I'd know everything there was to know in the universe. Um ... I passed 27 ages ago, and I'm still waiting on the Knowledge Thing to happen.

And the biggest one of all: When I'm an adult, I'll be able to do anything I want! Yeah, right! We all know how that goes!
Old 05-14-2018, 03:30 AM

I just remembered another one my grandma told me. I asked her if someone took me how would I get home, and she told me they would get me under a street light, and bring me right back. I was never afraid after that. LOL
Old 05-14-2018, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

One day my three year old grandson was really throwing a crying temper fit. He was getting beside himself with his crying and screaming. I looked at him and said I sure hope you don't wake up that old monster. He stopped crying immediately. His mother, my DD said, wow that worked! I said it worked on you and your sister when your fits got out of hand. That old devil saved my sanity many times.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-27-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:25 AM

The "green eye" on the old Zenith radio was watching my every move..And if I washed my face with my moms dishrag I could wash my freckles away.

Last edited by misspriss; 05-14-2018 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:39 AM

I never smoked either. I'm 4'10" and hate it. Would love to be 5'2" !
Old 05-14-2018, 04:49 AM

That when we went somewhere at night, the moon was following us.