Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When looking for something . . .

Power Poster

When looking for something . . .

When looking for some particular item - how many times have you come across items that you had completely forgotten about?

I was looking for some color evaluators, which I did find - and in the process came across some circle templates that I don't even remember buying.

This seems to happen fairly often . . . How about for you?

My problem lately is putting things away and then not being able to find them....sigh...
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Blog Entries
    Constantly and the harder I look the more things I find except for what I want. I have to chose something different to look for to find the first item. We put things aside having good intentions and forget. I will put things aside so that the kids won't find them and then I forget where I put them.
    Judy

All the time!!!!! Now I have to think of something to look for so I can find my embroidery scissors. Wish me luck.

If you find your embroidery scissors, please ask them if they ran away with my Gingher rotary cutter. It'
    s been MIA for over a week now...I bought two to use them BOTH; not to use one and hide one from myself!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    My frustration with not being able to find something I'm looking for is overcome by the joy I feel when I find unexpected treasures that make it feel like Christmas again.

So many things MIA...I want my little clear 6" ruler to come home..can't find another like it. I put it somewhere I wouldn't lose it...

I am good at putting things in a "safe" place...then they are so safe I can't find them either. I often find things that seem to be lost when looking for something else. Yes, I have also found several things I had completely forgotten about..like Christmas in July!

Oh it is so good reading these posts! I had almost convinced myself that I am going over the edge......but now I know it is a pandemic! I will just keep looking for things I know I have and they will eventually show up....well, maybe not the fossil watch that has been missing for quite awhile now........

It's like Christmas when I run across something I forgot I had! Makes it (almost) fun to clean up my sewing room because I run into so many treasures!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    This works for me, I have a note paper in a clear container in a Ziploc with a pencil. When I put something in the container, I write on the note what is in there. The note paper and pencil go back into the container. I also have a catchall basket for DH to throw things into. I have the note paper positioned so I can read it for a quick glance.

You know it's bad, though, when you find something you don't remember ever buying....and then later you find a SECOND one of them, and you STILL DON'T remember buying it even though you've obviously done it twice!!

I'm not even 40 yet and I have serious CRS syndrome. (CRS = "Can't Remember Sh*t")

I had a black tin box for special stash money that I earned doing machine quilting. I also had a magnifying glass. Notice the use of the past tense "had"??? The box had about $300 in it. It has disappeared along w/the mag glass. I had the box in with some tools on my sewing table & I knew where it was at all times. Enter DH. He suggested not to leave it there & against my better judgment, I moved it & haven't seen it since. He's not allowed in my sewing room any more. As for the mag glass, finally bought another one last nite so I'm sure the old one (a gift from a dear friend) will turn up soon. Guess it is time to de-clutter . . . again.

I keep all my templates in a metal container....nice to be able to find them when needed. It's the fabric that I forget about, even though it is organized!!!

Blog Entries
    I have actually done pretty good about not losing things in the sewing room during this current quilting project The problem is I can not find the attachments to my vacuum. Thank goodness no one is around to see this because I have opened every door and drawer in the house more times than I can count and I can count pretty high. LOL A friend say's -'So where haven't you looked' only 2 places left -they are not in the car or fridge. Yep so glad my son isn't here to see this-he'd be measuring me for one of those extra long sleeved jackets and making me reservations

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    If you want to find something just buy a replacement. Works for me every time.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    When looking for some particular item - how many times have you come across items that you had completely forgotten about?
    Has happened to me for over 40 years.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Mother and I have been sewing together for 3 days; today we 'lost' a pair of orange-handled Fiskars embroidery scissors.
    We worked in a 10' square space.
    ALL fabric we were using was on 1 table.
    Cutting and sewing were done on 1 table, ironing was done on another table.
    We sat facing each other at the sewing table.
    Except for trips to the bathroom and one trip to the refrigerator for our already-prepared lunch, we didn't move from this space.
    We have searched the trash cans, all the fabric scraps, under the machines, on the floor on our hands and knees, in our pockets, behind/under/in everything we can think of, even the 'frig and the bathroom sink....
    and no scissors.
    The quilting gremlin got them, obviously.
    If you see him, bash him on the nose for us!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Power Poster
    Did you look in your bras?

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Did you look in your bras?
    Oh, good one! I wasn't wearing one, but Mother was; I'll have to ask her.
    Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Happens to me all the time. A few years ago I borrowed my husband's black timer to use. I know I used it but can't remember where and it's never turned up since. Three replacements have been bought and used, but the original never reappeared. And a couple weeks ago I was pulling block of the month kits out of their storage place to sell on eBay and found a $100 kit, purchased at a quilt show, that I had absolutely no recollection of buying ...

Blog Entries
    I had a close call today. I let the iron cool and put away the ironing board. When the iron was cool, I wrapped the cord around it and put it away. As I was walking out of the room, my mind suddenly "clicked." I retrieved the iron from the fridge where I had "put it away," and put it in the closet where it belongs. *sigh*
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

I'm almost afraid to organize/declutter my sewing room. I will find things I don't remember having but I might also "lose" others.

The way to find something is to go out and buy a new one after you have searched your home for days, weeks, months and lost all hope of finding it, whatever "it" was. Whatever you couldn't find will miraculously appear.

Sigh.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

My sympathies. I am so bad that I have a list on my computer titled "where I put it." Of course, I also have an "Officially MIA list" too, which right now includes a pair of shoes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast