Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When purging no longer wanted or used sewing items. >

When purging no longer wanted or used sewing items.

When purging no longer wanted or used sewing items.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:17 AM

If you have a Freecycle group in your area, that's allways a good place. I've used it for lots of things, not just sewing items. Except for fabric scraps, which goes to a friend in a quilt guild.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:41 AM

I gave up on sales years ago, I keep a box in my basement to send to goodwill, add to it frequently. My husband keeps everything imaginable and I donate to save my sanity!!
Old 12-30-2016, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

I use to work for Salvation Army. I saw first hand with the books where the money goes. No big salary, no fun expenses, no unnecessary purchases. The stores hire people that find it hard to find a job but are good workers. Many can work for their lodging and get back on their feet. So much the SA does for people and families are never known. The officers are dedicated and some of the best people I have ever worked with. They try do to as much good as they can in the community. I always give to SA before other donation centers.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:25 AM

I usually will donate to our local Humane Society thrift store, I also donate 2 quilts a year for their fund raising events, and I make pet beds and stuff them with left over scraps and batting pieces that would otherwise be tossed.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:42 AM

I pack it up and donate-sitting out in my yard watching and listening to people pick thru things is not something I want to do. If its usable I donate - if its broke it goes in the trash.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:14 AM

Years ago when I decided to concentrate on quilting I gave away tons of craft things. Too much trouble to try to sell. The ribbons and silk flowers went to the preschool that my Grands went to. The books went to a Senior Center. Then I put a free add in our local news paper for free fabric. It was all gone in just a day. Finally the patterns I had collected over the years went for free to a beginning seamstress. Freed up lots of room for fabric that I would use instead of fabric that made me say "what was I thinking". I had a lot of that fabric and can only think that I got it on sale. lol
Sue
Old 12-30-2016, 08:22 AM

I sent huge boxes to the Indian Reservation in South Dakota. I will send more next year. I don't sell but would rather donate. One Goodwill near me doesn't sell fabric but another does so I know which to give to. Salvation Army does not sell either.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:35 AM
DJ

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
It would depend on what it is. I dont' really do the purging thing because every time I get rid of stuff, I find a way I could have used it myself.
LOL! DH likes to "purge". Once he had something he wanted to get rid of and said "What are you saving this for?" My reply was: "I don't know, but if you get rid of it today, I can tell you tomorrow."
Old 12-30-2016, 09:12 AM

I have been downsizing and bringing fabric to my monthly quilt guild meeting.....it's true, the fabric is usually gone in the blink of an eye. I'm also lucky that I have a charity storefront (Fairport, NY) that accepts donations from crafters and sewers (It's called Crafts -bits and pieces)....all volunteer to sort through and re-sell craft materials to benefit the town's adult bus line. It's wonderful, I just toss things in a box and bring it in. The good part is that if you're ever in the market to try out a new hobby, this is the place you go.....fabric, silk flowers, yarn, stamping.....anything that you craft with is there at a fraction of the cost.....and when I donate I know that it all goes to charity.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:33 AM

I'm so over garage sales. It's just not worth the hassles. The fabric seemed to sell well though! Now I either take stuff to Goodwill or Savers, even unfinished projects. Another thing is the free table at my modern guild. But the people there aren't too interested in non-modern books or fabric or patterns. And I can be pretty ruthless about throwing stuff out too. Gone is gone, in my opinion.