Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When purging no longer wanted or used sewing items. >

When purging no longer wanted or used sewing items.

When purging no longer wanted or used sewing items.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:30 AM

These are wonderful ideas, but I have never seen fabric at a Charity's thrift store like Goodwill, Salvation Army or Disabled Veterans. I'll look harder next time.....
Old 12-30-2016, 11:54 AM

I offer my fabric and duplicate tools to my niece who is just getting into quilting. What she doesn't want or can't use, she takes to the quilt guild at her church. They do a lot of charity quilts and really appreciate it.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:04 PM

Here is another option for quilters in the USA http://givebackbox.com/works
I haven't yet found this type of program in Canada, but think it's a great idea for both getting rid of those boxes from Amazon as well as the items that accumulate waiting for me to make the trip to the thrift store with my donations.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:31 PM

If you belong to a guild please be aware that there are people who can't afford to buy and don't have a lot of fabric or notions. I know of several ladies in the two guilds in my area who have financial constraints: single moms and retired ladies. I have quietly and secretly given them a bag of things I could not use. I tell them I was gifted this and can't use it so I'm gifting it to you. I ask them to gift it to one of the other ladies on my list if they don't want or can't use it.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:27 PM

The middle school near us is having a sale in February and I am under orders to save everything I would normally donate for the sale. I usually give fabric to the church quilters and the rest goes to SA .
Old 12-30-2016, 07:40 PM

I absolutely hate holding yard sales so always donate--usually to Salvation Army. But my Guild has an annual "garage sale" of just sewing items and fabrics and I give those things to that--the Guild makes a little money for their charity projects and others can pick up items for pennies on the dollar. I bought some backing fabric for youngest g-son's ISpy quilt for $2/yd!
Old 12-31-2016, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
And I can be pretty ruthless about throwing stuff out too. Gone is gone, in my opinion.
There is one more place to look before throwing it out. There are people all over the world that NEED this stuff. Ask at your place of worship. Missions teach people how to sew so they can use that skill to make a living. Many take old sewing machines, too. Not the vintage ones so much, but they use them too if they work, but that old one you set aside when you bought the new computerized one. They can use all kinds of fabric and sewing notions.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang View Post
Here is another option for quilters in the USA http://givebackbox.com/works
I haven't yet found this type of program in Canada, but think it's a great idea for both getting rid of those boxes from Amazon as well as the items that accumulate waiting for me to make the trip to the thrift store with my donations.
Thank you for this information. I hadn't broken down the Amazon box from my last purchase, so just filled it to the brim with sheets I purchased to use as backers, a few items of clothing and shoes, and several lengths of cotton\poly fabric. Printed out the pre-paid label and have it sitting outside for the mail carrier to pick up. So easy and this program also recycles the box. Win-win.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:21 AM

We recently started making a table available at our quilt Guild meetings for free items. I have not ever seen any leftovers at the end of the meetings. Guild members bring sewing notions, patterns, magazines, etc.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:36 AM

I try to donate to the thrift store for my hospital, its a childrens hospital, non profit and not only do I know it goes to a good cause and they don't charge a lot for it. I also know that employees here don't make the best of salaries being non profit and our thrift stores give us discounts when we buy from them. I figure I'm helping out in many areas. Some places charge a lot for their 2nd hand items. Way too much some times.