Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When you were a child did you ever see the REAL SANTA? >

When you were a child did you ever see the REAL SANTA?

When you were a child did you ever see the REAL SANTA?

Old 11-23-2010, 11:55 AM

I did and I will never forget it. I was about 4 living in Washington, DC and my Mom and I were in a big department store. I was sitting on a chair while she tried on something. On the table was a glass and mirror house, a round one or octogon shape. The saleslady asked me if I would like to talk to Santa, there was a phone there, I picked up the phone and started talking to him. I could see him in this glass house, he was about 2 inches tall. He was talking to me on the phone in his workshop. I have never forgotten that. He was so real. This was around 1948 I think. How did they do it? My Dad told me when you stop believing you stop getting presents. I never stopped believing.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:04 PM

I didn't but my grandchildren "discovered" Santa and reindeer footprints in the living room one Christmas morning when they lived here. We used very fine glitter mixed in dust to add sparkle and magic. They never questioned the idea of the reindeer in the living room! They are almost teens now and still talk about Santa's footprints. We used potatoes for the stamps--just carved the shapes out and made a path from the fireplace to the tree.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:05 PM

My parents also told me when you stop believing, no presents. Well, I'm 74, and I still believe! Told our kids the same thing, and they also still believe. And I'm sure at least ONE of the Santas I've seen must have been the real thing!!

PS I'm still a child at heart!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

My oldest DD still swears that she saw santa the Christmas she was 6.
I had friends over after the kids went to bed Christmas Eve. My friends boyfriend had longer grey/white hair and had a beard to match. He was a little roly poly, and had on a red flannel shirt and black jeans.
I guess DD got up to use the bathroom and on her way back to bed, she caught a glimpse of him and went very quietly back to her bedroom. She didn't want Santa to think she was peeking, she didn't want him to take her presents taken away LOL

She truly believed in Santa for several more years, putting up with the teasing/taunts from other kids.
It kept the younger two believing longer too...along with waking them up to the sound of sleigh bells and reindeer hooves on the roof :wink: just before sunrise....
Old 11-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

The Christmas of 1952 my 12 year old brother said, "There has to be a Santa, cause mom and dad couldn't afford 3 bicycles!"
At our house that was the ultimate proof! :)
Old 11-23-2010, 12:08 PM

My first year divorced I was living with my mom and my girls decided to try and "catch" santa. So we set up a digital camera and then they went to bed. My mom had my grandfathers santa suit and she put the pants on and bent over and I snapped the pic. The girls got up and were so excited to see the picture then the dreaded WOW MOM santa has a huge butt! The day they found out santa was not real they both laughed so hard when they heard the story my oldest still belives!!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:09 PM

While I did not "see" Santa, I remember very clearly the night I heard the bells of his sleigh, jumped up to look out the window and saw a dark object rising in the sky. The next morning there were sleigh tracks in the snow near the front porch. Convinced me!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:16 PM

I remember when I was little, our home use to be army barracks divided to 4 living quarters. There were no chimneys. I remember crying that Santa could not find us or come in. My Mama said not to worry because Jesus has the key and will let him in. I believed and still do.....
Old 11-23-2010, 12:16 PM

Yep. In 1955, things were pretty bad at our house. My Dad had broken his back so he could no longer work in Landscaping, and had not found anything in state. Mom was expecting her 11th child. In those days, welfare was for single mothers, unemployment was too little, no food stamps were available, and there was nothing to be expected for Christmas. Dad had healed pretty well, and had taken a job out of state, expecting us to join him when he could find a house. Just about bedtime, a knock came, and there was Santa! Even in good years, Christmas was pretty sparse for us with 10 children, but here was Santa wih a HUGE bag. There was Christmas dinner, cold weather gear for each in the perfect sizes, several toys apiece. The thing I remember most was a beautiful doll just for me, and a sweet little bed, complete with a quilt, sheets and a pillow. (Maybe that's when the quilting bug bit me!. Mom was totally mystified. Each of us was given just the right present, and no one ever admitted who it was. It had to be the real Santa!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:17 PM

For several years my grandfather was the Santa at a local Mall close to our town. He would let me sit on his lap every year, even though I was in my twenties. It felt silly standing in line with all the little kids, but was worth it.
We did not do a gift exchange with my grandparents,so even though he was Santa, I never got any presents lol.