Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are you from?

I was born in Brooklyn, NY and lived there until we moved to New Jersey in 1960 when I was 24 and married with 2 children. We live off GSP Exit 117 - gateway to The Jersey Shore although I live nearer to Raritan Bay than the Atlantic Ocean. We've been in this house for 51 years and it looks as if this is it.

We were considered nuts by my family when we moved from Brooklyn all those many years ago, my parents almost had heart attacks when we bought this house so far from B'klyn and with a $10 downpayment. All my younger sibilings still live there. Correction, a few years ago one of my brothers bought a home in PA but he lives half the week there and half the week at his girlfriend's house in Brooklyn. May in Jersey

I was born in southeast Colorado and lived there until I was 22 and first hubby and I moved to southwest Kansas. I stayed in Kansas after he died and met and married my second hubby. We lived there until 3 years ago and then we moved to Oklahoma for 2 years. I hated it there so he found a job in northeast Colorado and we moved there. That turned out to be the worst job ever so he got his job in Oklahoma back but it's close enough to Kansas for us to live in Kansas and him to drive to work in Oklahoma. It makes both of us happy.

AZTeri wrote - "One thing I miss is not having a homestead to return to. I have family still in Cleveland, and I still consider that home, but it's not the same as those of you who have homes that have been in the family for generations."

We also feel that way about the house that was orginally owned by my material grandparents back in Brooklyn, in a few years it will have been in the family for 100 years. After my grandparents died ownship passed to their son, my Uncle Tony, and now it belongs to one of his daughters and her DH. We were all upset when our his daughter, my cousin, said that they may be selling the 'family homestead' as her DH has retired and wants to move out of state.

mim
    When did "In the Beginning" close?? I used to go there whenever I visited DS when he lived in Belleview. And I haven't been back to Patchwork Press for a tour in years

Born in CT -- lived in ME as a child with my grandparents. Back to CT to raise 2 sons. Moved back to ME with DH#2 and now live on the coast in warm weathwer and WA in the winter

I love both coasts --

[quote=RDM]I'm in Seattle. I'm fortunate there's great LQS's in area, but still miss "In The Beginning" shop. I too love to see where everyone is from.

Born in Kalamazoo Michigan
    Raised in California
    Settled in Oregon

And in between California and Oregon I lived in Texas, Florida, Mississippi, Nevada, Oklahoma.

Born and raised in New Jersey, 5 years in Brooklyn, 2 years in Georgia, 3 years in Walnut Creek, California, then to Baton Rouge in 1975 and have been here ever since.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne
    I'm from Mass,born here, lived for a time in Fla. Love them both. My sister just called and wants me to figure out if it is better for her to live in New Hampshire, Rhode Island or Mass!! She is now in Conn and lost her job. She has to sell and move, but where should she go? Calls for some thinking to consider everything. What do you all think?
    I wish I had that problem!! Any one them sound good to me! :thumbup: :thumbup:
    I have to say this about Ohio- it's a lot cheaper to live than the east coast but I sure miss water!!!
    Love all of New York state and New England :)

My parents, 3 grandparents, and I were all born in Philadelphia. Because of that, I say "wooder" instead of water, and I say "ant" instead of aunt.

Go Phillies!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hannajo
    My parents, 3 grandparents, and I were all born in Philadelphia. Because of that, I say "wooder" instead of water, and I say "ant" instead of aunt.

Go Phillies!
    Those Phillies- yeah, they're going to be hard to beat!
    I'm a die-hard Yankees girl :D
    I say ant too, and I'm from upstate NY :D

I was born in glasgow scotland moved to maryville mi then to chicago I'll then to new brunswick nj then to kingsbay ga rthen back to good ole glasga! Then to cutler me then to toms river nj then to eldon month then to pcola fl then to philadelphia pa then to lamar mo- my dads were all military then I married a bridge builder!

Blog Entries
    Hi.. I was born and raised in Mo, I went into the Air Force and lived in Fl, Ill, TX, and retired in Oklahoma where I currently live.

Oh by the way my husband has lots of family that live in Dexter Mo. :)

I'm IN born and raised and here I still is!! My father was from Roanoke VA, so I spent time there with lots of cousins growing up.

Blog Entries
    I live in the Texas Panhandle in a VERY small community where I was born, met my husband, and we raised our kids here.

The only time I can say I've been homesick since I've lived in NY was during the Yanks/Philles World Series. I can't believe how depressed I got over it. I would love to have a second crack at it ;) See you in October!

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by hannajo

Go Phillies!
    Those Phillies- yeah, they're going to be hard to beat!
    I'm a die-hard Yankees girl :D
    I say ant too, and I'm from upstate NY :D

Have been in Ireland all my life.

I was born in Atlanta and grew up in Thomasville, GA. Met my Navy husband while at UGA in Athens. We lived in Seattle; Kingsville and Corpus Christi, Texas; Yokosuka, Japan; London, England; Memphis, TN; and Pensacola.
    now we are in Maryville, TN, in the mountains, and travel in winter and summer.

I was born and raised in Arkansas. Graduaded high school and moved to Springfield, Mo. 24 yrs later moved to seattle, Wa and then 15 years ago moved to Dallas, Tx and I guess I am here to stay.

Wisconsin -always Wisconsin. We did over-the-road trucking and saw most states that way. If I could move, it would be to Colorado.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne
    I'm from Mass,born here, lived for a time in Fla. Love them both. My sister just called and wants me to figure out if it is better for her to live in New Hampshire, Rhode Island or Mass!! She is now in Conn and lost her job. She has to sell and move, but where should she go? Calls for some thinking to consider everything. What do you all think?
    Mass has high taxes - if your sister is not on Medicare and is worried about health coverage, Mass has a good, very cheap health insurance plan
    NH is a great state - no income and no sales tax, lots of quilters and Guilds
    I know very little about RI, except that it has alot of ocean, good food and the Mafia

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    I live in Bardstown KY...Home of Stephan Foster and noted as "The Bourbon Capital of the World"...surrounded by millions of barrels of bourbon and I don't drink...lol. I was born and raised in Louisville, KY. At 19, I bought my parents home(moved in when I was 3) married at 20 and lived happily there with my wife and children for another 30 years. I've been in Bardstown for 7 years now...It was a shock to move from a big city where everything is so close to a rural community where nothing is close...but, I love it here.
    Here's a link to see our beautiful little town.

http://www.visitbardstown.com/tourism/
    I love the site! Visit Responsibly!

I grew up in Earlville NY and lived in Syracuse, NY when I got my first job. Got transferred to Columbus OH for 13 years and then to Raleigh NC just 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt
    I live in the Texas Panhandle in a VERY small community where I was born, met my husband, and we raised our kids here.
    My deceased first DH was from Pampa.....you anywhere near there? I could have inherited a house in Pampa but couldn't see living there....every oldie has to travel 70 miles to Amarillo for doctors and major medical stuff. I know you can see a vw bug at an intersection 30 miles away but still, it's a long drive for a sick old person.
    If you turn out to be my cousin, LaLinda, I'll squirt wine from my nostrils....LOL

Always an Ohio girl...born in Cincinnati, went to college at Ohio University in Athens, now live about 30 miles east of Cincinnati. But, a big piece of my heart is in New York City! We visit there every year...what an incredible city!

small town in New jeresey... still here same small town...
    except for six months when I lived in minot ND...from 6month old to 1 year.My father was in the air force, met my mom in ND, and they moved to Jersey right after they got married. Can't see me far away from my family!

Born in mid Wisconsin..at 18 moved 16 miles north, been here over 50 yrs, hope the next move will be 2 miles south, next to our church!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast