Whew!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:14 AM

Kids went to thier Nana's today, husband off to a farm extension workshop. I thought "Oh boy, I'm going to get a lot of sewing done!"

Then I thought, well, I better do some housework before I sew. I'm going to put in a load of laundry and do the dishes first. As I was doing the dishes, I heard a huge "THUMP!" from the laundry room (okay, the laundry nook/utility space, we don't have a real room). The huge 90-load jug of laundry soap, which had been sitting on the dryer, fell off from the shaking when the washer hit the spin cycle. Laundry soap poured out on my floor.

So I hurried and picked up the jug and scooped as much as I could off the floor by hand. THen I finished the dishes and got out the mop. I mopped and mopped, rinsed the mop out, mopped some more. I had a bucket full of very very soapy water, and I thought, well, hate to waste it, guess I'll wash the pickup.

Washed my husband's very muddy pickup (we had a good rain a couple of days ago). Brought in laundry off the line, while I was outside. (Did I mention it is HOT out there already?) One more pass of the mop to try and get the soap off my floor.

Now I have time to sew, and I feel like I RICHLY deserve it, but I'm too tired and all I want to do is sit here with a coke and read the message boards.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:19 AM

Sounds a lot like my day every day. Always think I'm going to get to sew: but by the time I get there I'm too tired.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:26 AM

Sounds like the problem I had when I mistakenly used dish washing soap in my dish washer! Noticed the problem when I saw my Molly cat sitting in front of it, looking first left then right. Then I saw the bubbles come out both sides. Mama, never thought I'd get all the soap & suds out!!

I couldn't but I wonder if you would have had quicker clean-up using dry paper towels or cloth towels? Both could have been re-used for the next soapy cleaning job. ??
Old 08-12-2010, 07:35 AM

Yeah, after I was done I did think I should have cleaned up the bulk of the liquid soap with a towel, and then I wouldn't have had all that soap in the water and the mop to deal with, but at the time I wasn't thinking of efficiency so much as I was thinking of how to get this awful slimy puddle of soap out from in front of the door that is the most used in the house.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:37 AM

What can I say? I feel your pain??! :roll:

I find that when I'm really aggravated, my sense of proportion and sensibility goes out the window, usually because I'm blaming myself for some idiotic move I made. NOT that you did anything wrong!!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:40 AM

Location: From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL

[The huge 90-load jug of laundry soap, which had been sitting on the dryer, fell off from the shaking when the washer hit the spin cycle. Laundry soap poured out on my floor.
[/quote]

We MUST be related somewhere down the line!!!
;-) ;-)

Those type of things ALWAYS happen to me! :?
Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

I bet your floor is VERY clean, lol!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

Ahh but what valuable lesson have we all learned from your experience?

Sew first! Clean later. Life is short, eat dessert first! :lol: :lol:
Old 08-12-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
Kids went to thier Nana's today, husband off to a farm extension workshop. I thought "Oh boy, I'm going to get a lot of sewing done!"

Then I thought, well, I better do some housework before I sew. I'm going to put in a load of laundry and do the dishes first. As I was doing the dishes, I heard a huge "THUMP!" from the laundry room (okay, the laundry nook/utility space, we don't have a real room). The huge 90-load jug of laundry soap, which had been sitting on the dryer, fell off from the shaking when the washer hit the spin cycle. Laundry soap poured out on my floor.

So I hurried and picked up the jug and scooped as much as I could off the floor by hand. THen I finished the dishes and got out the mop. I mopped and mopped, rinsed the mop out, mopped some more. I had a bucket full of very very soapy water, and I thought, well, hate to waste it, guess I'll wash the pickup.

Washed my husband's very muddy pickup (we had a good rain a couple of days ago). Brought in laundry off the line, while I was outside. (Did I mention it is HOT out there already?) One more pass of the mop to try and get the soap off my floor.

Now I have time to sew, and I feel like I RICHLY deserve it, but I'm too tired and all I want to do is sit here with a coke and read the message boards.
:lol: :lol: Well at least now you can rest and enjoy yourself! :XD: :thumbup:
Old 08-12-2010, 08:19 AM

do you just love how easily it is to get distracted? I always think "I'll do this one thing and then go sew". Well, it turns into a chain as I accomplish one thing and see another thing to fix and while fixing that I see something else and pretty soon my day is done.

I think the trick is to ignore those things to fix. They will be there later. Example: throw a towel over the soap. Go have fun. Later you can throw the towel in the wash and then clean up.

I suffer from depression and one of the biggest problems for me is feeling overwhelmed. I had a psychiatrist tell me once to make sure I do the fun stuff FIRST. Because if I don't I'll never get to the fun stuff. I have been doing this for years. And it really does work. Yes, my house isn't spotless but I'm a happier person than I used to be.