White coat syndrome....

Old 06-15-2010, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

I never go to the doctor. If I do make an appointment my kids freak out because they think I must be horribly sick. I get sick to my stomach just thinking about it.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:41 AM

Do NOT allow a dentist to yell at you. At the beginning of the appointment, tell the dentist that you have not had insurance and barely enough money to feed the kids. If he's a compassionate dentist, he'll understand. If he isn't compassionate, you do NOT want your child under his care. I've never seen a poor dentist...so some of them do NOT understand.

BTW - I used to work in the medical field. Doctors/dentists are NOT God, they do NOT always find something terribly wrong with patients, they ARE generally caring and compassionate. Don't be afraid of them......
Old 06-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Maybe call ahead of time and ask the receptionist to put a note in your kids file stating what you just wrote. The dentist will read it and that way you don't have to discuss it in front of your son :wink:

I understand the fear of the white coat (((HUGS))) I have family and friends who feel the same way. I have taken many kids to the dentist and doctor for them, as shots and such don't bother me. Maybe a family member or friend could go with you?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:18 PM

As I read all of your comments it's like I'm thinking out loud. I've been afraid of drs & dentists since I was 3. I cut my lip open real bad and Mom rushed me to the dr who didn't give me any pain killer first, just started stitching. So as I got older it got worse. I won't go into my own dental issues (story is too long) but I started a new dentist this last year and I let her know my fears right away. She goes out of her way to help me relax. Needles is my fear more than white coats. I'd rather have a catheter put in than a needle!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:22 PM

Been there done that did that. Not fun, even the soun drill gets me uptight and I want to leave
Old 06-15-2010, 12:27 PM

That too! So we've solved that -- although they have music there and headphones it's the soothing type so I bring in my own music and crank it up loud and also bring in one of those night masks to keep out the light. No sight, no sound while the tough stuff is going on. We have a signal if I need her to stop. I have also found that my woman dentist is more gentle than my previous male dentist. She gets my issues.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Google Goddess

I hope he gets a good dentist report and hang in there

Hugs Hugs
Old 06-17-2010, 07:38 AM

I'm sorry this is so upsetting for you. Is there any way your husband can go with you to the appt?
Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 AM

GOod subject. MOnday I am going to have my last "bad tooth" fixed with a root canal and then a crown. I hate the dentist, I know in today's day and time they can come up with a less painful shot and way to numb us. But it passes quickly. I have even hinted for the gas everyone talks about but so far not gas.LOL. So monday and I am home safe for a few years, I hope. With all hte chemo I have had I am surprised I have teeth left. SO are the dentists. So good comes out of the bad. Hope your visits go well. Shame on the dentisst for yelling at you, I would be on to a new one, after I had him in the corner. All my kids had different teeth problems, one had none. Take a breath and relax. We are behind you.