Who has Breadmakers?

Old 09-05-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Well the Z bread machine, at least, has a set of cycle's for a quicker yeast. You can buy the Red Star quick yeast and use it on the quick cycles. It is a faster acting yeast. . . .
That is good to know - I was not sure what the cycle meant - Sounds like that too should be on my list :-) THanks
Old 09-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

I use mine all of the time to make the dough...my hands just can't take all of the kneading, especially with the heavier wheat breads and them I run the dough only cycle twice :wink:
I put the dough in loaf pans, muffin tins, pizza pans, shape into hamburger and hot dog buns, make cinnamon rolls...anything made out of dough can be made in these and clean up is a breeze with them. The only thing I do not do with mine is bake the bread in it...I just don't care for how it turns out.... I also use all of my own recipes as well as bread machine ones!
If you are wanting to use the delay feature, remember you are not supposed to use dairy products then, as they are sitting out for hours!
Old 09-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

I have one and I used it a lot at first. Now we just use it once in a while in the winter. I like fresh bread with my roasts and stews.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:08 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

We use ours just about everyday. After making our own bread for years now and onto our second machine I find I dont really like the texture of shop bread.
We also make the dough for pizza and foccacia. I also make cinnamon scrolls and fruit bread. You can also make jam and pasta in our new machine but that is something I still dont use the machine for. We know people that have bought a bread machine and only used it a few times so it depends on the person as to whether you love it or not. it is a bit more work than shop bread as you have to cut it and wash the pan. The important part is to remember to put it on!
Old 09-05-2009, 08:45 PM

I use mine a couple times a month. It's a Hamilton Beach, I think. I've had it for about 12 years or so and it works great.
It does have the delay on it, but I've never used it. Too scared of something spoiling.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:29 AM

I also bought one at the Thrift store for $5. I no longer bake bread in it. The slices of bread are to big. I now bake two loaves (in my oven) from the same amount of bread dough. I figure we were eating twice the amount of bread , my waist just didn't need it. I've only had it six months & have only bought store bread once. So far we have no more weight issues than we had before.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:33 AM

I have an Oster. Love it.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

I bought on at WalMart years ago to see if I liked it. I'm still using it at least twice a week. I let the machine do all the mixing and kneading and then I take out the dough and let it rise in a bowl, knead by hand a little and shape into loafs, buns, or rolls and let rise again. I can mix a double batch at one time because the dough is not rising in the maker. My recipe is water, yeast, salt, and unbleached flour. I have steam pans that bake long thin loafs for crusty bread. I add onion, cheese, herbs, or sweets to make any bread I want. secret bread baking tip: add a dash or two of Fruit Fresh to the dough mix. It enhances the dough.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:48 PM

BellaBoo
Thank you for posting that you did a double batch as next week (just made two) I want to try your method. How long to rise in bowl. I usually let it rise (single batch ) in machine.
Trudy
Old 09-06-2009, 03:38 PM

Thanks for all the tips - I will keep looking at the thrift stores, yard sales and Craigslist.

Bella Boo -> I was not aware that the volume of the bread could be increased if you did not bake in it - sounds logical however. Great Tip!

Also sounds as if most are happy with mid level machines which makes acquiring one much more affordable Again Thank You for all you input!!