Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who invented this working thing?

SuzyM, I know just how you feel. When I worked full time for many years, I would always say to myself " I wish I was home so I could SEW. I am retired and have been for a few years and I am sewing all the time. I don't even want to cook or clean house. I do it but it is a struggle.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I've been retired 4 years now and love it as I did the first day of retirement. The first week of retirement I got two phone calls if I wanted to volunteer for this or that. I do volunteer for things but am very selective as I don't want volunteering to become another job or tie me down too much. And my kids don't expect me to be their babysitters either. I'm the backup sitter when daycare does't work and I love that arrangement. That was my kid's idea as they said "you didn't retire to take care of our kids all the time". I respect them very much for that but I am always here if they need me. I also know some Grandparents don't have that choice and have to step up to plate to take care of those precious little ones and "hats off to you" - you're special. Anyway I do love retirement and haven't looked back even once - and I do quilt quite a bit. They're starting to pile up.

Blog Entries
    I believe I got more sewing done while I was still working than I do now.Guess age(70) is slowing me down.
    Last edited by betty32084; 12-12-2014 at 06:31 AM. Reason: left out word.

I hear ya. I love my job and I'm not anywhere near retirement (will be 40 next year) but sometimes I feel old as the hills and ready to quit... Lately I've been absolutely SLAMMED at work so I haven't done any sewing in over a month. Too tired to do anything on week days, and weekends are spent doing all the necessary stuff I didn't do all week long.

I look forward to retiring, very very much. I might even work part-time to keep myself busy and for some pocket money, but I want to get myself into a position where I have the option of not working at all. I sock a lot of money away in my retirement fund towards that goal - I've been saving for my retirement since I was 19 years old. Not always a lot, but always something, every single paycheck. I'm hoping I can retire at age 55 or 60....so just 15-20 more years to go, if I play my cards right. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I don't know, but sometimes I wish I were out working.
    Thanks for this reply. Best chuckle I've had in a while!
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Blog Entries
    Interesting comments from everyone.
    I have another 10 years before I can retire, on Tuesday nights at our quilting get togethers the gals that are retired tell those of us that are still working how great it is.
    I worry that with how much I work that I will miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam's gram View Post
    Sometimes my job would interfere with my life! Now that I'm retired, I still don't have enough time for quilting.
    Gee and I thought that I was alone with this problem!!!!!! I had plans to set aside a day or two each week to just sit and sew and sew and sew. Now that would be lovely but no so.

I'm giving myself retirement as of 12/23/14 so I can spend more time on quilting, Hip, Hip, Hooray. But from what I have heard from retired people one is busier when one is retired than when one was working. Guess I'll have to find out for myself.

Just yesterday I received an order to make a Harley Davidson T-Shirt quilt from a Harley event I was in during this past summer so I'm already on my way to being busy during retirement.

Everyone have a Merry Christmas & a Healthy Happy New Year of quilting.

Mary C
    MaryC

I wish I COULD retire (I'm 67), but where I work, there is only one other nurse besides myself, and I'd hate to leave them without the help...As a matter of fact, I will be taking some time off for health reasons, and even feel guilty about THAT...
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2