Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Who made this cabinet?

This is an all wood sewing cabinet I've had for maybe 25 years. I'm wondering if anyone knows who made it or if I want to sell it what it's worth
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well...what it's worth is kind of what someone is willing to pay;> I've seen tables similar to this on Craigs List asking in the $50 range. It looks like it may need repair(broken wood part at the top) and it's a bit dated, so it's probably not going to fetch more than that?

Thanks. No nothing is broken. You may be seeing the part the machine sits on?? It drops with the machine to close it. I think I'm going to ask a bit more since it's real wood. I just bought a pressed fake wood one for 529. I know it's not antique JUST OLD.

Good luck. I was just giving my opinion of prices here. It probably wouldn't sell for more than than in my area.

Power Poster
    Can you put up pictures of the back and sides, too?

It's nice looking.

that is pretty cool!

it looks like the inserts are plastic, so it's not REAL old. The style of the pulls looks like around 1970's.

Oh I know. Not worth much. I just wondered if you knew who made it. My husband keeps every owners manual on everything so of course I can't find this one haha

no plastic. The top lifts up to make a level work table and the sewing machine is down on a platform. I don't have the sewing machine inserts. They are made for specific machines.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love the cabinet...Wished I lived closer, I'd make an offer...Florida here....:) Good Luck!

San

One thing my in-laws discovered with some of their furniture from this era, that they thought was real wood, was that the doors were actually plastic over wood. And the tops were veneered. They tired to refinish it and were very surprised. I am not saying yours isn't real...just might want to tap it with something and see if it sounds wooden.

Personally I think you could get $75-100 in our area since it is compact.

I've had really old pieces turn out to be veneer over a cheaper wood: trying to refinish them is a disaster!

Jory

I'm the same way - SC here

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsillysandi
    Love the cabinet...Wished I lived closer, I'd make an offer...Florida here....:) Good Luck!

San

It is a lovely piece and quite possibly could have been a custom made sewing cabinet. I am thinking it was made in the sixties seventies too by the hardware and style of cabinet.
    If it is a custom the price would be much more because it is a one of a kind made by a craftsman who was very talented.

I believe yours is what they call a buffet sewing cabinet. Here is a link to a picture and it looks similar to yours. Hope the link works don't always get that right.
    http://www.vacuumland.org/TD/ARCHIVE...09/5005x27.htm
    I didn't read the whole thing but she does describe the cabinet some

Look on the back side or on the bottom or even on the bottom side of the top there should be a manufacture stamp or seal marking. When you find this you can go from there on looking up all the other detail on it.

Blog Entries
    The doors look exactly like my Singer cabinet! Mine is much taller-I always said it looked like a big gun cabinet. I think DH bought mine about early 80's. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot. I know it's not custom made cause there's a book for it somewhere in this house!! but where???

By the way Welcome to the board! I PM'ed you. ;-)

It looks a lot like the cabinet in the link provided by quiltstodo. If you read all the way through, the site gives the price of it when new and has documentation that it is a Singer's cab. HTH

Jory

Singer I think. I bought an Athena 2000 when they first came out in the 70s and it came in a cabinet just like that.

its lovely and If I lived closer I would buy it in a heart beat.

I did have this cabinet and I loved it especially the drop down feature on the top. It takes seconds to drop the top down and/or raise it back up. Seems like I bought mine sometime in the late 70's or early80's at the Signer Sewing Center at the time I purchased a new machine. The compartments on the door were wood with the exception of the thread rack which was plastic. I do not know about the rest of the cabinet because I never looked and it had no scrapes or scratches when it moved on to someone else. It is easy to let the machine up and down and to take it out of the cabinet for travel. There is a nice work space to the left of machine. Although the cabinet is a older one, it is well made and would a good buy for anyone needing a cabinet. I do not recall what I paid for it but it was not cheap as I was in my young and stupid era and paid way more for it than I should have. Hopes this helps you out.

Seems like you might have a classic cabinet, do a little research before you sell it for too little unless you are just trying to get rid of it. I like it even though it does have that 70's look.

Wish I lived close to you. I'd snap that cabinet up in a minute. That is one think I could really use.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast