Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Who remembers S&H green stamps

Blog Entries
    Giving away my age also, but I do remember my mom getting them and putting them in the books for her. Then when DH and I got married, his mom gave us some books of stamps to buy a wedding present with. We got a bathroom scale which we still use..43 years later. Just another memory of when times were simplier and maybe a bit better??

Blog Entries
    I remember my mom collecting the stamps when I was growing up. She was able to get several things for our home.

I remember pasting them into the books and waiting until we had enough to get something! As a matter of fact, I still have an S&H Greenstamp ashtray that we put out when we have parties for those that need an ashtray. It always prompts a "remember when" conversation!

I remember blue chip also I can't lick an envelope to this day lol

I do! believe it or not! I have a twin cotton sheet My mom got for me when I was 8yrs old! I just added it to my stock pile for Quilt backs Its in wonderful shape, Striped, soft. Don't tell I'm 55 this sheets old! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by countrycottage
    Today's post about chenille bedspreads reminded me of the one I had in my room when I was a teenager. Mother got it with S&H Green Stamps (trading stamps). You could get all kinds of things with trading stamps, ranging from toys to linens, to cookware, dishes, lamps, furniture, most anything. After I married and moved to Dallas, we also got Gold Bond stamps and Top Value stamps. My daughter still uses a table lamp that my husband and I got with trading stamps shortly after we were married, and I have several pieces of Revere Ware cookware. In fact my kitchen would have been kind of sparsely furnished back then had it not been for those stamps!
    OMG, SURE DO. I LIVED IN SYRACUSE NY AND WE HAD A STORE CALLED LOBLAWS AND WE GOT THOSE STAMPS AND PUT THEM IN LITTLE BOOKS AND TURNED THEM IN FOR ALL KINDS OF THINGS AS U SAY. I REMEMBER A DOLL THAT MY MOM GOT ME, WISH I HAD IT TODAY....AND SHE BOUGHT A SET OF BOWLS. HUGE GLASS ONES AND THREE, COLORS WERE YELLOW, TURGOISE AND RED. WOW THIS IS BACK IN TIME....THANKS FOR BRINGING MEMORIES BACK

Blog Entries
    I remember putting the stamps in the books for my mother. Going to the trade in center was such a trill for us kids. I think every family we knew had cashed in a book of stamps for t.v. trays. They came in a set of 4 and it was so cool to use them to eat dinner on in front of the t.v.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I remember them. My job was to fill the book for my mom.
    I can't remember what she got with them.

Today's post about chenille bedspreads reminded me of the one I had in my room when I was a teenager. Mother got it with S&H Green Stamps (trading stamps). You could get all kinds of things with trading stamps, ranging from toys to linens, to cookware, dishes, lamps, furniture, most anything. After I married and moved to Dallas, we also got Gold Bond stamps and Top Value stamps. My daughter still uses a table lamp that my husband and I got with trading stamps shortly after we were married, and I have several pieces of Revere Ware cookware. In fact my kitchen would have been kind of sparsely furnished back then had it not been for those stamps!
    Oh my gosh, YES!!! I remember...my mom used to collect them and they even had S&H green stamp stores to redeem, I loved going with her. So....now that you brought this up I have a hilarious story about S&H Green stamps...here it goes... so my mom and dad had a group of friends that all hung out together all the time. One of their friends was a doctor that this whole group went to and took their kids to. The ladies even went to him for their "womanly check ups". One of my mom's friend went in for her check up, while she was waiting in the doctors office, she had to use the restroom, well..she got in their did her business and realized they were out of toilet paper. She grabbed a kleenex out of her purse, all was well. Soon after she was called in to the exam room. She was all ready to go when Doctor Bill came in (remember, they are all friends). He started his examination and burst out laughing...YES...she had a green stamp stuck down there. Must have been in the tissue she used previously. Well I would have been so embarrased had that happen to me, but let me tell you, just about every camping trip after this, the story was re-hashed. I will NEVER forget that as long as I live.

I got my first ever set of canisters with green stamps. I was 17 and was so excited to go into the "green stamp" store and pick out things.

Quote Originally Posted by suebee
    Oh my gosh, YES!!! I remember...my mom used to collect them and they even had S&H green stamp stores to redeem, I loved going with her. So....now that you brought this up I have a hilarious story about S&H Green stamps...here it goes... so my mom and dad had a group of friends that all hung out together all the time. One of their friends was a doctor that this whole group went to and took their kids to. The ladies even went to him for their "womanly check ups". One of my mom's friend went in for her check up, while she was waiting in the doctors office, she had to use the restroom, well..she got in their did her business and realized they were out of toilet paper. She grabbed a kleenex out of her purse, all was well. Soon after she was called in to the exam room. She was all ready to go when Doctor Bill came in (remember, they are all friends). He started his examination and burst out laughing...YES...she had a green stamp stuck down there. Must have been in the tissue she used previously. Well I would have been so embarrased had that happen to me, but let me tell you, just about every camping trip after this, the story was re-hashed. I will NEVER forget that as long as I live.
    OMg, too funny

I loved those stamps. We bought many things with them. Some I still have & use today. I purchased 2 footstools we still use in our living room. Everything from bedspreads, to that Sunburst clock, chainsaw, pet taxi's, dishes, cookware, meat slicer, etc. You could get just about anything you could think of, as they had a massive inventory of items available. I often wonder if anyone was ever able to buy the really big ticket items that took thousands of books of stamps. I'm siure I probably still have some stuck in a drawer some where. I was sad when they stopped handing them out. If I had a choice over a discount card or stamps I'd take the stamps. I too am sick of having to carry all these plastic cards, one for each store.

YES!!!!! We were talking about them at my house a couple of weeks ago. My step-daughter is 20 and thought we were nuts. My daughter is 24 and that is how I got her highchair. I remember in the 70's when my parents got an electric ice cream maker, sure beat having to take turns with the old hand crank. lol By the way they still have it and use it!

Blog Entries
    I remember them. My mom used to get all kinds of things with them. I remember sitting on the floor with a wet washrag wetting the stamps and filling the books. That was 'my job'. by the ay, I still use a chenille bedspread in the summertime because it's so lightweight. Oh dear, I am gettin old. Sigh. :-)

Blog Entries
    I clearly remember those as a little kid and the Texas Gold Stamps (similar to S&H stamps)

I remember matter of fact I still have some my mom and I saved. I found them going through her stuff after she passed.

I remember them, too!!!!

I spent many hours licking and sticking those stamps in books. Sometimes when you would redeem them, the sales clerk would rip out some pages - items would be 1 1/2 books and you would wind up with loose pages.

Remember how the books got so hard feeling from all those licked stamps. Funny memory. I also remember the story abt the woman who went for a PAP smear and grabbed in her purse to give her btm a final wipe before the doc came in and he laughed so hard at her -her tissue had S&H stamps stuck to it which then got stuck to 'something else'. haha

Blog Entries
    Yes! And Gold Bond stamps too :D
    Not so fun to lick and stick, but had a GREAT time buying things with them :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    me i do and blue chip stamps also ,sure miss those good days of savings

Oh, do I ever remember S & H Green Stamps. My Mom had me do the licking and sticking. She got so many things with them. A vacuum, TV Tray Set, Bedspreads, Luggage, Dishes, Glasses, Silverware....etc. It was a treat to go to the redemption store and cash in our books for something NEW. I wish we still had them.

I still have 2 brass table lamps that I got many years ago with my green stamps. May in Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie
    Oh my, do I remember!! {{{Blush}}} I was in my 30's and the Dr was giving me the "once over" down below. (He was an older ex-patriot Englishman) His eyebrows went up and he glanced at the nurse and she at him. He asked her to step outside with him and look at something he had in tweezers. "Oh dear", I thought, "must be really bad!!" Then I heard an outburst of laughter. The old gent came back in with an S&H green stamp in those tweezers! I'd gone to the restroom to give a urine sample, there was no toilet paper so I pulled a kleenex out of my pocket......
    Oh yes I remember! I coyly told him I'd been giving them out all day. so I had the last laugh! :oops: :oops: :oops:
    Suebee said:

Huh?

I remember! I still remember dreaming over that book and then going to the store for the goodies! It was so much fun. =)

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast