Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
A Whole New -- And Necessary -- Way to See Your Messy House >

A Whole New -- And Necessary -- Way to See Your Messy House

A Whole New -- And Necessary -- Way to See Your Messy House

Old 09-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

We have lived in a small home for 45 years, raised three kids in it, very small rooms, I was a stay at home Mom until the last one left home. We all lived through it. When kids friends ate homemade goodies they loved them and didn't get them at home because their Moms worked. My kids felt very good about homemade meals and goodies being the norm for them. They knew where they were going to eat and sleep every day and night. Some kids aren't that lucky.
My saying to my oldest Sister was always "we don't have anything but we own everything we have". They lost everything they had and had to file bankrupcy. Lived way above their means.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:08 PM

I had no money for a crib when my daughter was born. She slept in a cardboard box. I am very grateful for everything I have now.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:27 PM

I think I like that woman. She is down to Earth.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:35 PM

I think I like that woman. She is down to Earth.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Love it!! I really like the word "perspecticals", I'm going to have to remember that.

I'm a messy person and it embarrasses me sometimes. Not DIRTY, just messy - things like books and mail and baskets of laundry waiting to go upstairs tend to be sitting around. I had a friend from work come over so I could help her do some last second work on favors she was making for a mutual friend's baby shower. It was all a last second thing so I didn't have much time to clean up so I just didn't even try; when she got there I apologized for not cleaning up for her visit. Her reaction was marvelous, she just laughed and said she was FLATTERED that I didn't clean for her. She says that if I cleaned up before she came that would mean we weren't real friends, because real friends just don't care about that stuff! I told her, "In that case, you just became my best friend!" LOL

I don't necessarily think people with super clean houses have empty lives, it's just a different way of doing things. I work pretty closely with a lady who keeps her house immaculate and she's VERY busy with a full life...but she also works on keeping her house spotless every single day because that's important to her. We actually joke about it a lot...I love to tell her something like, "Hey, guess how many shoes are on the floor in my living room right now?" or "You know what? My vacuum cleaner has been sitting in the hallway for THREE WEEKS now!" and she'll have a (phony) freak-out about it... OK, that sounds really stupid but at work it's pretty funny...
OMG... We're we separated at birth?????
Old 09-20-2014, 04:58 AM

Guddle, I must remember this word, as it sounds exactly like my place looks inside.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:38 AM

I have been to countries and saw children bathing at the communal water spigot, no running water in their homes. I have seen women sewing by the light of the street lamp in very dark rooms. I have been in a community where there is only one toilet house and one shower room for about 400 families. I look at what I have and I am very grateful.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Good article....wish more people would just take a breath and look, really look, around them and realise just how fortunate they are. Can't say I'm one for worrying what "people" may think (Mother worried enough about that for the both of us). Our rambling old house and garden is eclectic, animal friendly, clean, comfortable and welcoming to those we love.....We are blessed.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:16 AM

Great share. Thanks
Old 09-20-2014, 08:05 AM

Love this thread! Sometimes people get so focused on what they don't have that they don't give thanks for all they do have.