Why am I up?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:06 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Here it is 5:30am., I'm wide awake, eating a peanut butter sandwich, waiting for the "big meds" (Loratab) to kick in. No matter which side, which position, which pillow....my neck, shoulder, and hip would not cooperate and let me sleep. I'm pretty grateful for this board which helps to keep me distracted for a while til I can feel that 'warm, gooey release' of the muscles relaxing and the pain abating.

Spent yesterday afternoon brainstorming with my BFF about a total rearrange of my living space for better sewing/quilting access. I realized that I get so little quilting done because I don't like working in my space; the set-up is inconvenient, tight, poorly lit, and puts my back to the TV when I want to see it. The only advantage I currently have is that I can look out over the pastures and pond for my view.

I've decided to eliminate using the same table for sewing and for computering, too, as I do too little of the first and too little of the second.

Also, I want to cover or eliminate the Elfa wire drawer/shelving I currently use for miscellaneous storage because this system allows me to "see" all the mess in the drawers, which I'm finding too distracting. Thinking of covering the drawer units with muslin skirts attached to the tops by velcro if I can't find other closed units to use. No/low cost is imperative.

Better lighting is an absolute must-have and I'll be asking my landlord to install overhead fluorescents in the living-as-sewing space. It has only one window, which overlooks the covered, northern exposure front porch, so the room is cave-like to me.

The cottage is small with a lack of closets and the stairs to the attic are steep and tall. My original joy at having such 'great storage' has settled into I-don't-go-up-there-unless-it's-life-or-death.

So, I've been following the sewing room threads here for ideas and love what so many of you are able to do in your spaces.

One problem I could use suggestions for: my office chair does not roll on the berber carpet installed in this area and I don't have the option of removing it. Any suggestions on how to cover it so I can move about easily? Keep in mind that those large heavy plastic floor coverings for office desks are very $$$ and are probably not an option for me.

Jan in VA Ohhhh, the woozies just kicked in; NICE!
Old 04-11-2011, 02:23 AM

Oh, I am so sorry you are up! I woke up every hour last night. Finally went into another bedroom so as not to disturb hubby who had to go to work this morning. I have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis in my knees. My knee was horrible last night. No getting comfortable no matter what. The strongest pain pill I take is Aleeve. My daughter is a nurse and said Mom, if you are not going to get on the meds that are out there, then you have no room to complain. Well...everyone has an opinion..My opinion is, at least for me, meds are the last resort. I had Oxicodone for a tooth I had pulled in February. Took one, didn't like the "woozies". But I have taken a few here and there at night for my knee. They make me woozie, but don't really help the pain. As for the fibro, my thigh muscles are always like a rubber band stretched too tight. I walk a lot to help keep me mobile. Gotta love this growing older stuff. Yesterday was just beautiful here, so I did some yard work and of course, overdid!

I know what you mean about space to work in. It has to be non distracting or it blocks the flow of creativity.

Wish I could help with the chair issue, but the mat is the only solution I know of. Sam's Club has those mats for $20 if you know of anyone who belongs.

Here's hoping you feel better!
Old 04-11-2011, 02:27 AM

Hi Jan, I wake up every morning with aches and can't go back to sleep. I don't mind getting up at 4am it's just then I want to go to bed so early. I hate taking lortab, it makes me stop pooping...no fun. I guess it's uncle arthur waking me. Nice to know I'm not alone. You're so sweet and always have nice things to say. This board is so overwhelming, lots of comments, lots of people to make mad too. Hope you feel better, Jan.
Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Here it is 5:30am., I'm wide awake, eating a peanut butter sandwich, waiting for the "big meds" (Loratab) to kick in. No matter which side, which position, which pillow....my neck, shoulder, and hip would not cooperate and let me sleep. I'm pretty grateful for this board which helps to keep me distracted for a while til I can feel that 'warm, gooey release' of the muscles relaxing and the pain abating.

Spent yesterday afternoon brainstorming with my BFF about a total rearrange of my living space for better sewing/quilting access. I realized that I get so little quilting done because I don't like working in my space; the set-up is inconvenient, tight, poorly lit, and puts my back to the TV when I want to see it. The only advantage I currently have is that I can look out over the pastures and pond for my view.

I've decided to eliminate using the same table for sewing and for computering, too, as I do too little of the first and too little of the second.

Also, I want to cover or eliminate the Elfa wire drawer/shelving I currently use for miscellaneous storage because this system allows me to "see" all the mess in the drawers, which I'm finding too distracting. Thinking of covering the drawer units with muslin skirts attached to the tops by velcro if I can't find other closed units to use. No/low cost is imperative.

Better lighting is an absolute must-have and I'll be asking my landlord to install overhead fluorescents in the living-as-sewing space. It has only one window, which overlooks the covered, northern exposure front porch, so the room is cave-like to me.

The cottage is small with a lack of closets and the stairs to the attic are steep and tall. My original joy at having such 'great storage' has settled into I-don't-go-up-there-unless-it's-life-or-death.

So, I've been following the sewing room threads here for ideas and love what so many of you are able to do in your spaces.

One problem I could use suggestions for: my office chair does not roll on the berber carpet installed in this area and I don't have the option of removing it. Any suggestions on how to cover it so I can move about easily? Keep in mind that those large heavy plastic floor coverings for office desks are very $$$ and are probably not an option for me.

Jan in VA Ohhhh, the woozies just kicked in; NICE!
:-) :D
Old 04-11-2011, 02:57 AM

Good mornign! I had to get up at 5:30 too but because the other nurse called off. #@#$%#!!!! DH is away so I had to walk Patches; whew-talk about stiff! I'm used to doing like you do-wait for the Advil to kick in then get moving. Needless to say we walked very slow.
Hope you all have a great day-maybe if the weather quits changing so much, some of the achiness will lessen.
Peace-Jan
Old 04-11-2011, 03:03 AM

Good Morning fellow early-riser!! One solution is to check out craisglist.com in your vicinity. You cannot imagine all the strange things people want to sell. Perhaps an office is going out of business or someone is disassembling a home office and you might find one of those carpet protectors to easily glide your chair on.
I wish you well!
Old 04-11-2011, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

Hi Jan, hope you're feeling better. Sorry you are in pain :(
but glad the board helps a bit.
I spent the weekend walking all over DC with my son who is in supreme condition and it was hard keeping up with him!!!
Ouch!!!!!!!!!! Sore back, sore feet etc.
And not a quilt shop around BOO HOO

PS. But we went to the Smithsonian for awhile and that was awesome even though I was hurting some. :)
Old 04-11-2011, 03:54 AM

My sister says the CVS brand of Advil works much better, longer lasting than regular Advil. If you have a CVS Pharmacy in your area it might be worth the try. Pain is no fun. I have OA in my right foot and sometimes it is just miserable trying to get it comfortable at night. I do get relief with a new product called Joint Flex - rub it on 2-3 times a day.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:56 AM

So sorry to hear you have to deal with such pain. I have my problems, but at least all days are not bad days. I have very few close friends because of the unpredictableness of what each day will be like. Yes, do what you can to improve your sewing area. My sister had given me (back in 1996 when I retired) an Ott light that clamps to my sewing cabinet with a flexible arm that gives me pretty good light for sewing at the machine. I don't know what they cost now or if JoAnn's will let you use a 50% coupon. The velcro curtain for the storage cabinet is a good idea. I am one that needs to work in an organized pleasing environment. I do have the luxury of a spare bedroom just for sewing. If you live alone, avoid the climbing the steep stairs you describe. I have taken the fall from stairs to the storage area above my garage, smashed an ankle on the concrete garage floor & had to crawl to get to a phone to call for help. Hope you have a good day today!
Old 04-11-2011, 04:00 AM

Good Morning , Well this the best time of day especially after a little rain. Look at your Elfa my dd put basket in her's looks real nice then you can take the basket out go thru it then put it all back. Works like a charm.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:52 AM

How about getting a large piece of plyboard for your chair to roll on. Many places will cut to fit. Another option might be those long, clear floor runners that protect carpet and cut them to the size needed and place the pieces side by side.