Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why do the cats do this?

Blog Entries
    I have no idea but my kitty does the same thing. Must be an ancient instinct in kitties.
    Sherri

Kola usually stays off my current projects. She has taken to using my LA as her personal hammock. So I keep a sheet over my work. She does love to mess with paper patterns, you know the ones from McCall's, Simplicity etc...

If I have a large project going on in my main sewing room. I will close the door in the evening when I am done. Because who knows what cats do when we are sleeping.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

I have 3 cats. One likes to lay on my folded piles of fabric that are sitting there waiting to be cut. One likes to try and lay on the fabric on the cutting mat as I am cutting it. The kitten has decided that it is his job lay on, jump on, crawl under, pull and tug on the actual work in progress. It took me THREE DAYS to put a simple border on my latest quilt top because of all his help. I can't even begin to imagine how fun it is going to be to get this sandwiched and basted.
    Laura

Paying it forward, one Smile at a time!
    http://twistedvegas.com

Cat's love anything off limits, The M markings on their heads stand for mischievious
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

I have One Idea! Could It Be that ALL theses CATS are Really Just (Now this Only Applys to those Who believe in Reincarnation!) QUILTERS Who have Gone to The Big LQS in the SKY?
    I'm Just Saying LOL
    May Your Life Be Full of Charity and Love.

One of my two cats is always trying to help LOL. The other one is always some where off on her own, usually on our bed. My cat who is always trying to help grabs the thread on the machine and runs down the hall, down the steps and threw the house with it. Pain in the buns. Hate it when she messes with my serger. I keep it covered now.

We lost our 19 yo kitty this summer, but I have 4 little fur babies of the canine variety who are a great help! They have to inspect the fabric when it's brought in, when it's washed and dryed (they especially love it when it comes out of the dryer). They like to check it out on my shelves. If I put anything on the design wall, they jump up and pull it all down. When it becomes a quilt, they try to push each other off, to see who gets to sleep on it first. I have a Maltese, a Yorkie, a Chihuahua and a Porkie (pom/yorkie) and they are all very helpful. LOL!

Cats know when they sit on something whether or not they look beautiful. So I guess they are the quilt police.

Blog Entries
    Quality inspectors?
    DeAnne

Blog Entries
    They want you to play with them!! :-)
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

They are helping. They are testing it out for warmth and cozyness. You know someone is going to enjoy it because the cats keep comming back.

Pretty cats! They look quite content.
    Sandra

Blog Entries
    Well it seems that cats believe every new thing in the house is theirs and once the new has worn off then its yours- Simple

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​Because they know it bugs you.
    I wonder if this is the answer!! I had my great laugh for today as I could picture you shooing the cat off three times and then the other cat jumps on it....

Wish I knew. Mine used to take over my cutting table with my blocks spread out and the other was either taking over my sewing machine or ironing board. Now I miss the "help" because 1 has passed and the other is now at home with DD in ILL.
    Kathy Osterby

Oh , you just reminded me. I have a design wall. I don't have to lay them on the bed. You can tell I WAS AWAY for 4 months in my trailer where it was cooler. Dumb me!
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

well, just maybe they are reincarnated souls that used to be quilters? If you have a fur baby that just gets totally in the way when you are working on your project-maybe they are trying to help? I currently have no fur babies, put my darling "child" to sleep in July and just can't yet get another. She was my shadow for 17+ years and totally was devoted and guarded her mommy from all the evils in a dog view. When the granddog comes to visit, he is a heller and we just love him to pieces and spoil him, but can't yet bring a pet of our own back into our lives. I buried my "dog child" in a beautiful quilt and have no regrets. The granddog loves to jump on our bed and roll around on our quilt.

Blog Entries
    I think they want to be with mom & dad when we do anything. I have a tux cat that layes on my ironing board when I am trying to press. I have to keep moving her tail.
    catherine antone

I think it's your scent. Mine will do that too (if I would let them) and when ever I get up, one will steal my seat!
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

my golden used to do the same. Will never give that quilt away.
    The best kind of sleep beneath heaven above is under a quilt hand made with love. Anonymous

They do this so that when we go to sell a quilt, we CAN'T say "from a pet-free home." How insulting to them!

mine has always been a inspectorof quilts and materials but also if i am reading a newspaper they would lay on it. they liked it to play with cause of the crinkly sound i think. they also do that with xmas paper at xmas we let them play and had to be careful when we entered the room again not to step on one.also in order to wrap they would have to be closed out of the room cause they want to lay in the middle of the paper. those were fun memiories. our one leftnow is out grown all of that at 16.

They may be putting their scent on it. Or they may like it because it has your scent on it from handling it. Either way, they seem to approve of your work!

Blog Entries
    Mine likes to lay in the scrapes that are on the floor - I pile them up so he has a nice "bed"

Ditto QuiltingKrazy,Millie ,always is on my bills I'm trying to pay and swats at the pen and bites the paper.
    "They are,therefore they can,"Silly furballs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast