Why do people do this?

Old 09-04-2011, 10:45 AM

Shame on them. Stealing from anyone is wrong. They will suffer the consequences. :hunf:
Old 09-04-2011, 10:50 AM

This has become our normal American way - for so many these days. Sadly, we have somehow gotten our values upside down! Maybe a simple solution would be to just start chatting more with our own families...we used to talk about stuff like this around the dinner table...now we watch TV and no one talks.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
Maybe I'm just naive, but I'm having a tough time believing quilters can be thieves. I mean, the whole point of quilting is that we are making something nice for our family or friends. What's the point of doing this if we're stealing fabric or quilting supplies? I don't get it, and I find this very distressing.

I'm hoping the quilt store simply misplaced the kits.
Unfortunately, quilters/embroiderers can be thieves. I attended an Anita Goodesign Embroidery Event last year.

They have 3 embroidery machines set up at each table. Nine people are assigned to each table and for two days, we rotated on all three machines and made many projects that we took home. It was great fun.

They of course had all of their embroidery design packs, thread collections, and related notions for sale. Whenever there was a break all of us shopped for must have designs.

One lady in particular (many did this) purchased $200+ and placed the bag under her assigned table next to her purse. At the end of the day, when she went to gather her bag and purse, the bag was GONE. :shock:

An exhaustive search was done, but the bag was not found!

This occurred on day 1 of a 2 day event. The THIEF, whomever she was attended the second day knowing she had stolen from this woman...unbelievable nerve!!! :hunf:

All of us were shocked, because like you, we know we are honest and assumed that everyone like us was too. :cry:
Old 09-04-2011, 11:07 AM

I don't understand this mentality. If I find someone has made a mistake I make it right even if the mistake is not in my favor...
Old 09-04-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by JanetM
Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
Maybe I'm just naive, but I'm having a tough time believing quilters can be thieves. I mean, the whole point of quilting is that we are making something nice for our family or friends. What's the point of doing this if we're stealing fabric or quilting supplies? I don't get it, and I find this very distressing.

I'm hoping the quilt store simply misplaced the kits.
Unfortunately, quilters/embroiderers can be thieves. I attended an Anita Goodesign Embroidery Event last year.

They have 3 embroidery machines set up at each table. Nine people are assigned to each table and for two days, we rotated on all three machines and made many projects that we took home. It was great fun.

They of course had all of their embroidery design packs, thread collections, and related notions for sale. Whenever there was a break all of us shopped for must have designs.

One lady in particular (many did this) purchased $200+ and placed the bag under her assigned table next to her purse. At the end of the day, when she went to gather her bag and purse, the bag was GONE. :shock:

An exhaustive search was done, but the bag was not found!

This occurred on day 1 of a 2 day event. The THIEF, whomever she was attended the second day knowing she had stolen from this woman...unbelievable nerve!!! :hunf:

All of us were shocked, because like you, we know we are honest and assumed that everyone like us was too. :cry:
Again this is so sad/bad!!!! :thumbdown:
Old 09-04-2011, 02:53 PM

Shoplifting is one on the reasons why people wear baggy clothes and big jackets.

It is unfortunate that people do that. I was working in my LQS last year and we were warned that a group of women where going round the shops and shoplifting. They did come in, but we were warned and made sure we kept an eye on them (we were given a general description).